ADVERTISEMENT

Five TU men's soccer players earn AAC honors

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
The University of Tulsa’s Bradley Bourgeois was named as the American Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year and Juan Sanchez was selected as Rookie of the Year, the league announced Thursday.

Bourgeois, a senior defender from Cypress, Texas, was also selected as a First Team All-Conference performer. He led TU’s backline that ranked third in the conference in shutouts (three).

Sanchez was named to the Second Team and the All-Rookie Team. He has team-bests of six goals and 15 points.

Geoffree Dee and Jake McGuire were also chosen for the Second Team. Lesley Nchanji was named as an All-Rookie.

Fantastic. I'm not a soccer expert at all but I watch a little bit of the SMU match and we really played well. We had so many more opportunities than they did and narrowly missed a number of shots on goal. As someone said in another thread, we should have scored 2-3 more goals and wouldn't have needed to go to the OT's and then to the penalty kicks. We seem to have some really good under classmen and some good recruits, so next year should not be a drop off.

TU just won the AACK! championship on PK's(they outplayed UCONN the entire 2nd half & OT but couldn't break through) & Bradley Bourgeois was the best player on the pitch. Maybe Klinsman & co. should take a look at this kid for the under 21 USA team. In this country of 360 million or so it's pathetic we can't produce defenders worth a bleep. With a John Terry or Vincent Kompany, the USA fortunes would be greatly improved. Congrats to TU Futbol.

USMNT are actually an embarrassment of riches at the center back position. Maybe not once in a lifetime legendary talents like John Terry, but we have five or six international quality center backs. Many do not complement each other and some are young or prone to mental errors, but the talent is there. What we don't have on the current roster is outside backs capable of playing end to end. We can play people out of position there, but that leads to continuity issues, as we have seen time to time. There are international quality right and left backs in the pool, but we do not make the roster or play them because they do not fit this coach's particular style. This is further complicated by arguably our two best players at their particular positions, Michael Bradley and Jermaine Jones, do not play together well at times and that creates weaknesses in the back and counter attack issues that hangs our backline out to dry. What this team will look like 2017 after Jones is sunsetted, will change a few minds about the team.

I just got back from Trinidad. Played pick up on the beach. Had a few pints. The team got a point. Guzan threw his signed gloves into the supporter's section and I caught one. Great trip. 5 days in paradise and soccer for under $1000, including airfare.

At times we were playing what amounts to four center backs in the rear and it is clear they were communicating effectively. I'm cool with that. Germany won a World Cup doing that. Plus, the defense was the best performing unit on the night. But the foundation we have in the back leads to weaknesses in the transition game and the final third, especially shots from Zone 13.

As for the boys on 11th Street, we've struggled in previous tournaments because the boys didnt appear to be prepared for an uptick in size and speed from their opponents. This year's schedule was a grinder and some missed opportunities, but overall I am hoping scheduling so many ranked teams will have the team confident and in good form to make an extended tournament run. As I always promise each year, if they make the Cup, the keg is on me. See you there.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
USMNT are actually an embarrassment of riches at the center back position. Maybe not once in a lifetime legendary talents like John Terry, but we have five or six international quality center backs. Many do not complement each other and some are young or prone to mental errors, but the talent is there. What we don't have on the current roster is outside backs capable of playing end to end. We can play people out of position there, but that leads to continuity issues, as we have seen time to time. There are international quality right and left backs in the pool, but we do not make the roster or play them because they do not fit this coach's particular style. This is further complicated by arguably our two best players at their particular positions, Michael Bradley and Jermaine Jones, do not play together well at times and that creates weaknesses in the back and counter attack issues that hangs our backline out to dry. What this team will look like 2017 after Jones is sunsetted, will change a few minds about the team.

I just got back from Trinidad. Played pick up on the beach. Had a few pints. The team got a point. Guzan threw his signed gloves into the supporter's section and I caught one. Great trip. 5 days in paradise and soccer for under $1000, including airfare.

At times we were playing what amounts to four center backs in the rear and it is clear they were communicating effectively. I'm cool with that. Germany won a World Cup doing that. Plus, the defense was the best performing unit on the night. But the foundation we have in the back leads to weaknesses in the transition game and the final third, especially shots from Zone 13.

As for the boys on 11th Street, we've struggled in previous tournaments because the boys didnt appear to be prepared for an uptick in size and speed from their opponents. This year's schedule was a grinder and some missed opportunities, but overall I am hoping scheduling so many ranked teams will have the team confident and in good form to make an extended tournament run. As I always promise each year, if they make the Cup, the keg is on me. See you there.

The College Cup is in KC this year....I will be making the trip if TU makes it. Might bring a couple dozen TSC '06 kids with me. I think Besler and Cameron have grown on me as center backs and you made an interesting point that its the outside backs that lose continuity with the 2 center backs and create some big issues. I think Beasley did fine out there on the left side, but I think he struggled against bigger F's and MF's on 50/50 balls. He was decent at being able to move forward and control, but he is pretty much at the end of his career and not the answer moving forward.

I am also not a huge fan of Guzan, strictly from a technical standpoint for a keeper. We were spoiled with Howard and his athleticism. He would never be the example of how to play keeper, but his athleticism and instinct led to some spectacular play. The biggest question facing the US is which Altidore shows up? Good Jozy is really good...disinterested Jozy...not so much.

Geoff Cameron is the only one with size,speed & skill-all the rest of those donkeys are just pretenders. I reiterate-with tons of youth programs in this country, high school futbol, college, mls development leagues,why is he the only one playing in the EPL? We need help on the back line at ALL 3 positions on the USA Sr. team & I don't see where it's coming from.

Alright, against my better judgment, I will bite. Let's break down the current pool of defenders and compare it to the known players who are USMNT eligible and currently under pro contract and project their roles with the USMNT 3 years from now in Russia.

Don't confuse a lack of salary with a lack of talent. MLS artificially depresses salaries. Some of these players want to/need to remain in the USA and make what is available, not what they are worth. They also face discrimination in Europe based on their nationality and perceptions about the overall talent pool in the USA.

First, you mention Geoff Cameron. I don't know if you fit into this category, but plenty of people were calling him a donkey pretender just 3 years ago while he played for peanuts in MLS and people like me were screaming to get him in the pool. Then he goes to the bottom of the EPL on a free transfer and suddenly he is some gifted stud. Stuart Holden fits into this same category. MLS nobody. Goes on free transfer. Gets named MVP of his EPL club. The talent and potential didnt just explode over night. It was always there. Jay DeMerit. Same thing. Bob Bradley doesnt sign him to a practice contract at Chicago Fire. He goes to the UK, plays pick up and pub league. His talent is eye popping. Three years later he is in the EPL. Again, the talent was there, the chance wasn't. It doesnt make them less of an option for the USA. Back to Cameron, He's the same player he was with the Dynamo with a few rough edges polished, except he will turn 33 in Russia. You can have a 33 year old limping around back there, but I would prefer him as a locker room guy at best. He will be that cycle's Jermaine Jones. Versatile player with a lot of experience that is now a step slow and looking to use the 2018 team as a vehicle to extend his career back in MLS.

Fabian Johnson. He will be 31. Again, aging but still serviceable at his natural position of right back, if anybody would play him there. He is a starter for a legendary team in the top flight of Germany.

Ventura Alvarado. He will be 25. He will be in prime world cup age position. He has good range and can take care of business inside, when he has a good partner. He's playing at the top level in Mexico for one of the biggest clubs in the world. He will be in Europe be 2018. He's made a lot of young mistakes back there, but that is more a communication issue with Guzan, covering for Yedlin, and having a different partner in the middle every game, than it is talent or potential.

Matt Besler. He will be 31. Again, aging, but still serviceable in the middle at least for CONCACAF qualifying. Who he pairs with determines how well he shows. He stinks when back there with Brad Evans playing out of position. He's looked great working with Omar and Cameron. He covered a lot for Alvarado. Undersized at 5'11" for what we ask our guys in the center to do, especially on set pieces when we are playing negative. Here is the important point: He declined a free transfer to Fulham, QPR, Leeds, and several other major Championship clubs to stay in KC because his wife wants him there and Graham Zusi is his best friend. If QPR and Fulham think he is good enough to get them back into the EPL, then he is far from a donkey.

Matt Miazga. He will be 25. Long and lean at 6'4" and 180, he can run and jump like pegasus in a tail wind. He looks like a donkey because he is young and the eurosnobs assume he can't play because he is in the USA, but the truth is that he has been courted by the Polish national team since he was 10 or 12. He's played for their U18 and U20 teams. He plays in the USA because his parents are Polish immigrants and they want him to play here. And now he is cap tied to the USA. Poland's senior team desperately wanted him and they have their pick of top international talent training throughout Europe who are eligible for polish passports. He isn't a donkey. I predict he will be a starter in Russia. The tools and frame are there. The question is whether he will develop the strength to survive at the elite international level (Quarterfinal talent).

Michael Orozco. He will be 32. JK loves him and its easy to see why. As a young player, he was named to the all-tourney team for the 2008 Olympics. The team itself was terrible, but he outshined that and all the other defensive talent around the world. He can play inside and outside. If healthy and not a step slow, he will make it. He plays at Tijuana, but he isn't a donkey show. (Sorry, couldn't resist).

Brekken Shea. He will be 28. Prime time. I'm throwing him in here because he has played in the middle and on the left for both club and country at times. Has the physical tools to sign a free transfer with Stoke. Played both winger and defender for them before injuries and maturity issues sent him home. Not a donkey, at least talent wise. A bit of a head case. Talk to him for 30 seconds about his art projects and he will go off into neverland. JK loves him.

Tim Ream. He will be 31. Aging, but serviceable. Has played in the middle and on the left in both the EPL and the Championship. Voted MVP of Bolton by the fans. A donkey in the MLS until he went on a free to the Wanderers. Signed a four year deal with Fulham earlier this year. Will be back in the EPL next season and presumably in 2018. He's a legit international at two different defensive positions, but we have a coach that wants to use tactics that disfavor his positives.

Deandre Yedlin. He will be 25. To small and too short to fit into Klinsmann's plans on the right. He's got speed but can't defend worth a flip. I wonder if he will be in football by the time 2018 rolls around. Currently playing for Sunderland on loan from the EPL. Raw athletic talent that could contribute if the coaches used him correctly, but lacks the polish you need from a right back going forward and it is likely too late to develop it for him. I see JK losing patience with him. Your grandma's first touch is better, btw.

Shawn Berry. He will be 28. Plays in the German second division after a standout career at UVA. Done some U18 and U20 workouts, but no call ups. Played PDL, iirc. That probably means some conditioning or performance metrics aren't quite there for him. But, he's playing in the second tier of huge soccer country, so that tells you something. You wonder if JK will take a look in 2 years.

Rhett Bernstein. He will be 29. Plays in the top flight of Norway after Brown U. A couple of tourneys as U20, iirc, but nothing special. He can play inside or outside but a couple of inches short at 6 foot or so.

John Brooks. He will be 25. He has World Cup experience, including a goal scored, and he plays sporadically in the top flight of Germany. Far from a donkey. At 6'5" he isn't versatile, but he is the type of player who could develop into the best defender we've ever had. Or bust. Too early to tell.

Edgar Castillo. He will be 32. Plays in the top flight in Mexico. There if we need him on the left. International quality speed. Tracking back and communication can be an issue.

Timothy Chandler. He will be 29. Plays in the top league in Germany. Made the World Cup team, DNP. Not a donkey.

Royal-Dominque Fennell. He will be 29. Betcha haven't heard of that guy. If you have, then you are a Caleb Porter fan. Porter brought him in for U23 camps, but his club wouldn't release him for matches. Fell off the radar since then. Second tier of Germany, last I checked.

Jaime Frias. He will be 25. Lit up Primera MX for a couple of games, then fell off the radar. He's back in the USA now looking for an MLS and playing for Indy 11. Probably a donkey.

Greg Garza. He will be 27. Playing in Mexico for a top flight team and still developing. Has looked real good at times out on the left. And a goat when he has no midfield switch. JK cured that problem by bringing DMB off the golf course. Could be a race horse. Could be a donkey. Too early to tell.

Eric Lichaj. He will be 30. Time in the EPL. Plays for Forrest in the Championship. Not a donkey. Up and down on JK's list. Could play at RB, if something happens to Johnson or Cameron.

Shaquell Moore. He will be 22. Still young. Up and down on the U20 and U23 rosters. At 19, has already played in the MLS and recently signed with a club in Spain. His dad played for Trinidad. He's got the tools. He was the captain of the U20 that won CONCACAF. Get ready to hear more about him if he stays healthy.

Miguel Palafox. He will be 23. Still young. Plays for Leon in Liga MX. Not too shabby. Raw talent, just needs time and opportunity.

Jonathan Spector. He will be 32. Manchester United youth player. EPL experience with the Reds and others. Down in the Championship now. Was part of the 2010 team. Not a donkey. Not sure he could play in the middle if needed, but a viable option over on the right.

Danny Williams. He will be 33. In and out of JKs dog house. Will probably stay in. No chance in 2018 and can't play the middle anyway.

Cameron Carter-Vickers. He will be 21 or 22, I believe. Plays for Spurs. Young. Not a donkey if you are the captain of the Spurs Youth team.

Shane O'Neill. He will be 25. Bit of enigma. Played for Colorado Rapids out of high school, then was suddenly sold to a team in like Cyprus or Crete or somewhere. He never played for them, now he's over in Europe because he's got an Irish passport. Done some U20 and U23 duty. Called up last year by JK for a senior team friendly. Has indicated he would rather play for Ireland despite being raised here in the States. Not cap tied yet. Not a donkey if Ireland wants you.

The bottom line: We have a lot of options. Not too long ago, we only had about 8 players at each position with legit international talent. When you heard those 8 names, it was easy to conclude that was all we had. Now its different. We have about 15 to 20 names and it's JK's job to shift through those options and find the best players to play the best system with little or no time training together. I don't think he is doing a very good job of it along the back line.

Anybody notice who I left out? Yep, Omar. I think he is done as far as international duty is concerned.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
Wow, thanks Huffy for the in-depth breakdown of potential defenders. If you're encouraged by whoever is on the back line in 2018 than so am I. Thank goodness our first round qualifiers are against, er, some donkeys. Well-T&T can play(that point is nice) but the other 2 we should handle. I've just been frustrated watching guys play out of position, ball watching & no seeming improvement. I hope we can field some defenders in 2018 that can deal with the speed, experience & skill that they will surely face.

Its the coach and the lack of a coherent idea of what is going on/what to do. It really is true that he gives the players no guidance whatsoever when playing them out of position. Don't blame the players. With a few exceptions, they all could play for middle tiered teams in the EPL or Bundesliga.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT