ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Phillip Montgomery … enough is enough

That's a slightly bigger boy salary than I was expecting the Word to pay.
They have recently seen massive increases in funding their sports, relatively speaking. Last 5-7 years or so. It’s part of the reason I started goofing on them.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
We should be able to double it no?

Anyway I wonder who is out there as non alumni.
If there’s a coaching change I wouldn’t expect it would be a name we would recognize. It will be a name football people respect and a guy that knows how to win at places like Tulsa.

I don’t have a preference but just for the sake of wasting time on Monday, I’d throw out the name of Bronco Mendenhall. But there are better fits for less money I’m sure.

If there’s a coaching change I wouldn’t expect it would be a name we would recognize. It will be a name football people respect and a guy that knows how to win at places like Tulsa.

I don’t have a preference but just for the sake of wasting time on Monday, I’d throw out the name of Bronco Mendenhall. But there are better fits for less money I’m sure.
Wow that's a name I've not heard for a long time. Out of sight from me in the ACC and definitely out of mind.

1. I hope Monty wins out and we don't have to have this conversation for real.
2. For conversation's sake...I wonder if Justin Fuente could find his Memphis magic here at TU? Although I'm not a big fan of retreads he's still pretty young.
3. Go get Marion as an OC. He will light FBS football on fire and burn the American to the ground.

Wow that's a name I've not heard for a long time. Out of sight from me in the ACC and definitely out of mind.
And yet he took Virginia to the Orange Bowl just 3 years ago.

He recruits kids that all graduate, many of them Academic All Americans. He builds with 2 star kids and makes them clean and nasty, especially on defense. Kids that play with a chip. Averaged 9 wins a year at BYU over a decade. Every 3 and high 2 star kid that BYU does not want would instantly be interested in our program.

I don’t think there’s a chance he come here and he up and quit with no real reason given to UVA, but it’s nice to discuss. We need a version of him maybe without the Mormon connection.

Reactions: TU_BLA

He recruits kids that all graduate, many of them Academic All Americans. He builds with 2 star kids and makes them clean and nasty, especially on defense. Kids that play with a chip. Averaged 9 wins a year at BYU over a decade. Every 3 and high 2 star kid that BYU does not want would instantly be interested in our program.

I don’t think there’s a chance he come here and he up and quit with no real reason given to UVA, but it’s nice to discuss. We need a version of him maybe without the Mormon connection.
Well Tommy Hudspeth did ok for us. And Garrett Mills.

Reactions: HuffyCane

Wonder if Bronco and Carson ever had any casual meetings or discussions back in the DC area

Here's a name....Kellen Moore. Dallas OC. He might be a little out of the price range but he'd be an intriguing guy to take a look at. Not sure if he'd want to move to the college ranks as a HC.

Here's a name....Kellen Moore. Dallas OC. He might be a little out of the price range but he'd be an intriguing guy to take a look at. Not sure if he'd want to move to the college ranks as a HC.
Supposedly turned down his alma mater so doubt he is leaving the pro ranks anytime soon

The big concern is that his name is Bronco. This cannot stand!
Well, if we can find a guy like him: works cheap, low profile, is good enough to go anywhere and isn't looking to do that, faith and family centered, knows how to get kids up for game day and test day, no skeletons, and can recruit Texas, then I dont care if his first name is Sooner, Cougar or Knight with a first born son named Mustang or a dog named Cowboy.

Last edited:
At this point, I think almost ANYONE would be a healthy improvement for the program. Would prefer a TU alum, but I'll take anyone who knows how to win and bring back excitement and fans to the program.

At this point, I think almost ANYONE would be a healthy improvement for the program. Would prefer a TU alum, but I'll take anyone who knows how to win and bring back excitement and fans to the program.
TU alum isn't a requisite for me. While they may work near term, they never seem to be long term fixes (at least the last 2 weren't). I say that and two of my top choices would be former TU players (Milkman and GJ). Mostly because of what I know of them and their coaching abilities to date. If Milk came here to be the HC, head be gone for a P5 HC spot in about 4 years. I honestly think he's that good both as a recruiter and as an x's and o's guy. GJ is going to be a tremendous x's and o's guy and I think they both understand both sides of the ball. BUT I also think they could attract good to great assistants wherever they go. Young, hungry assistants who want to be those P5 guys. But I also think they both understand they'd be the CEOs and they'd let the assistants and coordinators do their jobs with the HC having input and final say for some things.

Gillespie would be on my list in the similar vein that Graham was on my list knowing it was only a matter of time before Kragthorpe got a bigger offer.

Tino Sunseri- QB Coach/Passing Game Coordinator at James Madison. Maybe not quite as accomplished at doing this as Kragthorpe was when K came here, but Sunseri is on that trajectory when it comes to QBs

TU alum isn't a requisite for me. While they may work near term, they never seem to be long term fixes (at least the last 2 weren't). I say that and two of my top choices would be former TU players (Milkman and GJ). Mostly because of what I know of them and their coaching abilities to date. If Milk came here to be the HC, head be gone for a P5 HC spot in about 4 years. I honestly think he's that good both as a recruiter and as an x's and o's guy. GJ is going to be a tremendous x's and o's guy and I think they both understand both sides of the ball. BUT I also think they could attract good to great assistants wherever they go. Young, hungry assistants who want to be those P5 guys. But I also think they both understand they'd be the CEOs and they'd let the assistants and coordinators do their jobs with the HC having input and final say for some things.

Gillespie would be on my list in the similar vein that Graham was on my list knowing it was only a matter of time before Kragthorpe got a bigger offer.

Tino Sunseri- QB Coach/Passing Game Coordinator at James Madison. Maybe not quite as accomplished at doing this as Kragthorpe was when K came here, but Sunseri is on that trajectory when it comes to QBs
I like the prospect of GJ or Gillespie. Still don't know who Milkman is, but everyone on here thinks he'd be a great hire, so I'm inclined to agree since I'm less informed than most when it comes to Tulsa football prior to 2005.

I like the prospect of GJ or Gillespie. Still don't know who Milkman is, but everyone on here thinks he'd be a great hire, so I'm inclined to agree with everyone. since I'm less informed than most when it comes to Tulsa football prior to 2005.
Milkman is Brennan Marion. You'll know him post 2005.

Reactions: OKTornadoes
Alums are very difficult to fire. Just like the problem of loaning money to friends or relatives.
It can happen and usually takes much longer than is healthy for the program. See the University of Nebraska and the hero QB from their last national championship; alum Scott Frost.

Reactions: lynesrun
It can happen and usually takes much longer than is healthy for the program. See the University of Nebraska and the hero QB from their last national championship; alum Scott Frost.
I think our much bigger problem is that we give long extensions to coaches who have done almost nothing other than show some slight glimmer of hope and then can't get rid of them. Look at Blankenship compared to Wojick and Frank. So step 1, don't hire a stupid AD.

What a well thought out inclusion for your list. Tino is a wonderful young man. Played HS football at Pittsburgh Central Catholic. He has coaching pedigree and is starting to build his own name in the coaching ranks.
I like that guy at The Word too. He is winning games with a guy that is now on his 5th school. That’s not an easy task to turn a guy with a collegiate career like his QB had into a winner. Speaks to his coaching and motivating abilities for sure. At this point anyone is better than Monty. Might as well take a chance on a young guy who still loves the game and hope he becomes the guy P5 schools want in a few years.

So James Madison has been one of FCS' top teams the last few years and this year they are in their 1st year of full-time FBS competition and they seemingly haven't dropped a beat. No growing pains playing up a level and they put up a ton of points. I remember Sunseri playing at Pitt and I just see a lot of things between his playing career and so far in his coaching career that point to him being a good head coach in the future. He also has some experience at Bama as a grad assistant so he's got that going for him. Also has experience on Jimbo Fisher's staff. But he was also part of the failed Jeremy Pruitt experiment at Tennessee.

I see that we're back in the "others receiving votes" for the ESPN Bottom 10. I'm not a big fan of that article but it's interesting that our suckage is getting national attention.

You say that but Montgomery has been here longer than Blankenship and I don’t think he has accomplished any more.
The similarities are pretty remarkable. Blankie went 11-3, 3-9 and 2-10 (16-22) in his last 3 years, went 1-1 in bowls his first 4 years and got fired. Monty went 10-3, 2-10 and 3-9 (15-22) in years 2-4, went 1-1 in bowls in his first 4 years and got extended. There's obviously no football related reason that Monty is still here.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
Not a ton....they just were long distance. He still holds the NCAA record for highest average yards per catch in a season at 31.3
I miss those days. I don't care where a potential new coach is from as long as they are not a Briles or Leach type. It was REALLY easy to overlook some of Todd's "antics" because of the product he put on the field.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
The similarities are pretty remarkable. Blankie went 11-3, 3-9 and 2-10 (16-22) in his last 3 years, went 1-1 in bowls his first 4 years and got fired. Monty went 10-3, 2-10 and 3-9 (15-22) in years 2-4, went 1-1 in bowls in his first 4 years and got extended. There's obviously no football related reason that Monty is still here.
Just for comparison:

BB 47% (24 wins in 51 games) winning average in 4 years, with 2 winning seasons (50%) and 2 Bowls with a (1 win Iowa St and 1 loss BYU) 50% average

Monty 44% winning average (40 wins in 90 games) in his 8th year. 3 winning seasons in 7 years so far (43%), bowl record 2 wins (C MI & ODU) and 2 losses (Va Tech & MSU) 50% average

Out of 20 other coaches tenured 8 years or longer, the four with losing records:

9 years: Chuck Martin, Miami (Ohio)/.433
9 years: Craig Bohl, Wyoming/.480
9 Years: Chris Creighton, Eastern Michigan/.410
8 years: Monty/.444

The only one who looks absolutely worse than us is Eastern Michigan. We're just a little better than Miami. At least we have some company.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT