ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Layoffs and what it means for future TV deals

Should this thread be moved to Crossfire?

• Yes

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
ESPN realizing that the crap they continue to put on the air in terms of original programming is causing them to hemorrhage $. That and they overpaid for all of the P5 conference deals plus paying Texas a ridiculous sum of $ for a largely failed entity. Their NFL deal is horrible and grossly overvalued for a declining product and terrible matchups and they are losing the NBA with a terrible LeBron and Steph loving product. The TNT NBA production is far superior than what ESPN puts out. NFL Network and the Sunday night NBC game are superior to what has become of MNF. ESPNs too busy putting on a show rather than narrating and analyzing a game. Declining viewership leads to declining ad dollars and you still owe on contracts. Cable providers are holding their ground on what they are going to pay for what ESPN is putting out there meaning there is no extra subscription $ coming in. They've turned Sportscenter into Inside Edition. In the 90's I never missed the Dan Patrick/Keith Olberman nightly Sportscenter because in addition to actually showing highlights and reporting scores, it was actually somewhat entertaining.

What that means for the AAC and TU- that TV deal Aresco is going to renegotiate in a couple of years is not going to yield the increase in rights fees and per school allotments we had all speculated and hoped for. If Aresco gets unique and gets Netflix or Amazon as a live streaming partner and bringing that to the forefront, it might mean a little more. The P5s will also struggle to get the same amount they got the last time as you will see networks start scaling back some as they see they've gone beyond the limit of their own value and more and more entertainment options become available to consumers.

College sports broadcasting rights have always been about funny money. I'm one of the few that's ok if there is less money getting thrown around. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds and how schools try to spin their disposition. History shows they will be shameless.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
It's been interesting. Jeremy Crabtree, who was with Rivals for a very long time, left six years ago to help ESPN start its "Recruiting Nation", which never caught footing in my opinion. He was laid off today. ESPN would have been better off just partnering with Rivals for recruiting coverage.

Some big names (and big contracts) let go today: Len Elmore, Brett McMurphy, Trent Dilfer, Eamonn Brennan...the long list goes on.

When I was in high school and college, I was an ESPN junkie. In the past five years, I've barely watched it. So much has changed.

I watch PTI and about one in 15 30 for 30s. I don't really ever watch Sportscenter unless I really care about some story. I read an article suggesting this is all about saving Sportscenter. They think they have to save that show to remain viable. I think that's like mortgaging the farm to repair the covered wagon.

BLA has a good point. They should focus on broadcasting games. The other stuff is often crap.

I watch live sports only unless I'm out at a restaurant and ESPN is on. The rest of their content is lost on me. Is McMurphy the guy that predicted bowls every year? If so than good riddance. Those picks were usually wrong, always demeaned Tulsa, and he never came back after bowl season to take the heat.

I watched Baseball Tonight religiously for a long time, but I don't think I've watched any non sporting programming save 30 for 30s in 15+ years.

That was McShay who's the bowl pick guy and the infamous mortal lock against Tulsa. I like McMurphy, he's always been a solid twitter follow for some non-P5 respect IMO.

They certainly kept a lot of their most polarizing talent today.

I watched Baseball Tonight religiously for a long time, but I don't think I've watched any non sporting programming save 30 for 30s in 15+ years.

That was McShay who's the bowl pick guy and the infamous mortal lock against Tulsa. I like McMurphy, he's always been a solid twitter follow for some non-P5 respect IMO.

They certainly kept a lot of their most polarizing talent today.

A show with people yelling at each other must be cheaper to produce. Not sure if that's the way to go though. I used to just leave ESPN on all day when all they did was re-run sportscenter and games. Now I don't even have the channel. Stephen A. Smith followed by an Outside the Lines story about athletes who are bad people just doesn't do it for me. Not for that price.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I'm actually having trouble figuring out what I watch live on espn outside of college football anymore. And Tulsa bball.

Ooh, the spelling bee. And occasional bowling. (Seriously!)

Astros, Thunder, Dynamo, Texans...nope, other networks.

That's pretty bad, really. Yikes.

Espn has just got too political... people watch sports to get away from the news or from life... they push their liberal views and people are tired of it
I'm not buying that. They're pushing the Stephen A Smith stuff and shows like that. Personally can't stand Stephen A and pretty confident I can make a more cogent and accurate point about most sports topics than he can. Can't stand watching SportsCenter anymore because they'll spend 30 minutes breaking down LeBron's game and hey'll give a 30'second highlight of everything else.

They made a mistake letting McMurphy and Jayson Stark go. Those 2 guys work their a$$es of to get quality stories and facts and they leave other guys on because they have a persona but have no idea what they're saying half the time. Heck they even railroaded some of their best on air PBP guys like Mike Patrick and Brad Nessler and go with Fowler and Herbstreit. I like Fowler but he's nowhere near the PBP pro that either Nessler or Patrick are who are stuck doing B games at midnight now.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Espn embraced a left wing agenda when they were purchased by Disney. Assume it has something to do with Bob Iger. They are the only business in the country which purposely alienates 60% of their customers. Their radio hosts and on air personalities are in lock step on the political spectrum and push it at every opportunity. It is what it is. Disney doesn't seem to care as ESPN has become their social platform. Rumors that Iger will run for Presdient in 2020.

Give me a social or racial issue and I can tell you verbatim what every talking head's opinion on the same will we before they say a word. It's ridiculous. Those who don't conform have been released.

A show with people yelling at each other must be cheaper to produce. Not sure if that's the way to go though. I used to just leave ESPN on all day when all they did was re-run sportscenter and games. Now I don't even have the channel. Stephen A. Smith followed by an Outside the Lines story about athletes who are bad people just doesn't do it for me. Not for that price.
According to what they did, and according to what other networks have been doing,(especially news networks) SCREAMING heads is all the rage, and brings in the ratings. Not for me. And please God give me an eternal EASY mute button for Stephen A. dumbass.

Miss the days when I could turn on Sportscenter and watch the likes of Stuart Scott and Dan Patrick. The lack of in air talent there compared to 15 years ago is remarkable. Of course I remember when MTV played music videos 24/7 and miss those days too. My kids can't comprehend why their dad would watch nothing but a music video channel when I was their age.

I don't buy the liberal bias argument. That's silly. ESPN is unapologetically about profit. They wouldn't have run all the Tim Tebow stuff if they were a wannabe Rachel Maddox. I hear just as much BS about free market economics applying to college sports on ESPN. I mean, have you ever read Tony Kornheiser's Twitter feed? He's no leftist. Seriously, that argument is ignorant. There's an east coast tone to a lot of what they say, but it has little to do with politics. I mean, have you seen the intro to Gameday? If it was some leftist conspiracy, that wouldn't be a thing.

ESPN is losing ground because they spent too much on content and because cable is too expensive. It's a joke. We have it to watch TU, the Cardinals, Thunder, Game of Thrones, and a few episodes of Daily Show. And it helps to have Elmo on demand. But cable is pricing itself out of the market. And ESPN made the mistake of raising its liabilities when it should have been decreasing costs and looking at alternative platforms. They were on fire about 10 years ago, but the market changed and they bet the wrong way really bad.

Is that the same Tony Kornheiser who compared conservative Republicans to ISIS on his ESPN radio show? He wasn't suspended btw.

There's plenty of articles and interviews from past and present espn employees talking about the network's lurch to the left after the Disney acquisition and the possible link to Bob Iger. Didn't realize the presence of a liberal agenda by espn was even a question at this point. Spend anytime listening to its radio hosts and watching their programming and it's fairly obvious.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4tu2
I've read a few people who think the politics is more a symptom of the business model failure than than the cause. I think that's probably where I line up. It maybe helped speed up the decline but the reckoning was coming either way.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Is that the same Tony Kornheiser who compared conservative Republicans to ISIS on his ESPN radio show? He wasn't suspended btw.

There's plenty of articles and interviews from past and present espn employees talking about the network's lurch to the left after the Disney acquisition and the possible link to Bob Iger. Didn't realize the presence of a liberal agenda by espn was even a question at this point. Spend anytime listening to its radio hosts and watching their programming and it's fairly obvious.

I'm surprised any attorneys have time to listen to ESPN radio. I sure don't. I do follow Kornheiser because I love PTI. He's on your team.

This is Alex Jones stuff. To say people quit watching ESPN over politics is cray cray. Believe what you want. You are just wrong.

This conspiracy stuff is pretty tinfoil hat. It's money. I'm not sure how much people watch even good talking heads in 2017. Heck, I won't even watch a video on ESPN.com of people talking. I just want to skim an article with news of interest and move along.

But if we're going with things people want to complain about I'll throw Musberger in the hat.

Reactions: Gold*
I am one of the few who loves Musberger (2016 call of OU KU game was beautiful) but yeah, that's a great point.

Another point I'd make is Jemelle Hill. Some people see her and think she's this leftist with an agenda. Early on she was. And it was awful. I'm still mad about her trying to throw a turd in the Rick Ankiel comeback story. But she was really more like a whiny Skip Bayless. She just said crap for shock value. I would turn the channel if she was on. But now that she hosts Sportscenter, they've cleaned all that up. She's trying to be neutral and likeable. And that's my point: ESPN wants viewers so they charge too much and sell beer. That's their agenda. They recycled her from this fringe crazy cat lady voice to a starring role on heir biggest show, but changed everything about her, including her appearance and tone. That's weird.

Anyone there who tries to make a point that isn't on the pre-approved script is immediately canned: Bill Simmons and Whitlock.

I don't watch ESPN due to the liberal slant. The on air personalities are sickening to me.
I watch ESPN when a game is on that I want to watch --- which NEVER once involves me watching 2 p5 teams playing one another in any sport on any level of importance.

So... perhaps I'm just one of a few... but to pretend the liberal slant doesn't have some impact on a few (or probably "many") is one's own prerogative I suppose.

But the reason for the decline is most certainly bad air play, boring matchups, bad investments, repeat stories about the same teams and players --- and a growing competitive market.

Reactions: 4tu2 and kcarzoli
For those who don't think there is a liberal slant... I'll give you two names: Michael Sam and Colin kaepernick.... horrible football players (remember this is espn we are talking about) but made out to be heros because they are gay and because they are oppressed... think about it they got tons of air time that had nothing to do with sports

If you guys want to be on the same team as Zit, more power to you.

Michael Sam was a big deal, but I agree, it was over-covered, like every other story on there. And Kapernick, who is not gay, was also a big story, but also over-covered. That's not an agenda. So much as trying to churn ratings. That's what ESPN does, going back to Disney buying them: they blow up stories to lose meaning. TO is the first one of those that comes to mind. Seriously though, if they have an east coast leftist agenda, why did thy run so many stories on Tim Tebow's faith?

Reactions: TUBballJunkie

I'm surprised any attorneys have time to listen to ESPN radio. I sure don't. I do follow Kornheiser because I love PTI. He's on your team.

This is Alex Jones stuff. To say people quit watching ESPN over politics is cray cray. Believe what you want. You are just wrong.
Sage Steele did get suspended for having conservative views

If you guys want to be on the same team as Zit, more power to you.

Michael Sam was a big deal, but I agree, it was over-covered, like every other story on there. And Kapernick, who is not gay, was also a big story, but also over-covered. That's not an agenda. So much as trying to churn ratings. That's what ESPN does, going back to Disney buying them: they blow up stories to lose meaning. TO is the first one of those that comes to mind. Seriously though, if they have an east coast leftist agenda, why did thy run so many stories on Tim Tebow's faith?
Guess they gotta have 1 feel good story (sarcasm)

Last edited:
Dude, half of College Gameday is just human interest stories now. Heck, a good portion of Kelly Hines' work is TU human interest stories. Most recently, we lapped up the Wheeler background and no one was whining about it. It's what journalism in every genre in 2017 requires to fill 24 hour cycles on multiple family networks. You can only show so many replays. And yes, scandalous incidents like Kaep rile up ratings.

Poor Tim Tebow gets most of the dislike probably from the over-coverage.

She was replaced on the NBA countdown shown in addition to benng suspended. Challenge ESPN's political agenda get punished. Again...plenty of articles out there discussing the network's movement to the left.

Look....I don't know the reasons for the drastic decline in viewership. I suspect it's a combination of many things. People cutting the cord, loss of on air talent, bad programming, over saturation, etc.. The decision to push an agenda which alienates 60% of your viewers certainly hasn't helped. This is the one of the most common reasons given by actual viewers for not watching programming. We can debate the honesty of those responses. Whitlock did a good interview recently discussing his appreciation for what espn has done for minority journalist as well as the left hand turn the network had taken. He is also discusses Bob Iger's influence on that direction. Pretty balanced and inciteful.

Reactions: 4tu2 and kcarzoli
And quite simply, ESPN used to have a mammoth monopoly. They are a hefty cost in every cable subscription and that gets more and more unsustainable. But their competitors have peeled off more and more valuable content/major sports and saw the value of regional networks (Fox, Comcast, AT&T) and they were left in the dust. And then add in your MLB/NBA/NFL network add on packages that is NOT ESPN.

I've watched more TruTV in 2017 than ESPN. Because actual sporting events.

This is not complicated.

Just wish people would call it what it is... nothing wrong with it... just is part of why the network isn't working anymore

And tonight. ZERO reason to watch a whopping 3.5 hours of Roger Goodell reading names. I have no idea why anyone would in 2017. My household will have the TV on sports literally the entire evening and it will be TNT and Root and just keeping draft tabs on Twitter.

Not complicated.

Again...plenty of articles out there discussing the network's movement to the left.

I presume from Breitbart? http://www.breitbart.com/sports/201...ng-10000-subscribers-day-political-left-turn/

I'm pretty confident these layoffs stem from ESPN executives continuing to budget based on revenue coming from cable providers and not sufficiently taking into account cord cutting. ESPN receives ~$7 per cable subscription that includes ESPN (re: Most of them, even if the subscriber doesn't watch ESPN).

I imagine there was a meeting a few years ago that went something like this:

Executives for 2015 we can afford to invest revenue in one of the following 3 areas:

* Human Interest Stories
* More coverage on ESPN3
* Overpay to retain talent that yells at one another

To which the executives responded with "Yes" and so they did all 3 despite revenue being insufficient to do so. This would've need to happen over multiple years in order to reach the point of ESPN needing to layoff as many people as they have done.

Reactions: Gold*
I presume from Breitbart? http://www.breitbart.com/sports/201...ng-10000-subscribers-day-political-left-turn/

I'm pretty confident these layoffs stem from ESPN executives continuing to budget based on revenue coming from cable providers and not sufficiently taking into account cord cutting. ESPN receives ~$7 per cable subscription that includes ESPN (re: Most of them, even if the subscriber doesn't watch ESPN).

Executives for 2015 we can afford to invest revenue in one of the following 3 areas:

* Human Interest Stories
* More coverage on ESPN3

To which the executives responded with "Yes" and so they did all 3 despite revenue being insufficient to do so. This would've need to happen over multiple years in order to reach the point of ESPN needing to layoff as many people as they have done.

The one source story I gave was Jason Whitlock. Pretty sure he's not Breitbart.

Here's a link to a poll done by Barrett Sports Media. http://www.sportingnews.com/other-s...rrett-sports-media/1vkiau005ud0i135hcxdg6wxat People were asked whether ESPN leans Left, Right or Neutral. The Results:

Left 61%
Right 3%
Neutral 36%

We can argue about perception versus reality but at some point they become the same. 61% to 3% is striking to say the least.

She wasn't suspended. I had no idea what you were talking about and wasted 10 minutes looking it up. She was promoted. The wingnut echo chamber got mad when they took her off NBA countdown, but they put her in their "flagship show," Sportscenter. Facts, brau.

Just wish people would call it what it is... nothing wrong with it... just is part of why the network isn't working anymore

Great. That's just completely false. It's ridiculous and needs to be called out.

* Human Interest Stories
* More coverage on ESPN3

I'm actually surprised they didn't lay off more. There's still plenty of pointless crap you can watch on there. They just got rid of crap that no one watches, like Jayson Stark. Stephen A. Is still on. Hell, Around the Horn is still on. They can't be hurting that bad.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
So is Stephen A. Hell, Around the Horn is still on. They can't be hurting that bad.

My "really early" prediction is ESPN has another round of layoffs in another year or two after they finally realize the costs of these shows outweigh their value to the network.

I'd watch more ESPN if they just ran re-runs of 30 for 30s in place of most of their talking head shows. And I'm fairly confident I'm not in the minority.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT