ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Layoffs and what it means for future TV deals

Should this thread be moved to Crossfire?

• Yes

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters
The comedy part of this thread went to Twitter. You should get on there, LEC. Also, you can come to my Karl Marx reading group tonight. We are going to watch ESPN with some LBHTQ people.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
Current issue found at my salon. If only they had tvs so I could watch ESPN too!
5384-us-weekly-Cover-2017-May-1-Issue.jpg

Reactions: Gold*
Did I mention the whale is LGBTQ and also a former Olympian? It's also friends with Lunardi's hairpiece.

Clearly I'm well aware of the whales, hailing from not only a sanctuary city but also a port city. I believe our former mayor, who's a lesbian, was instrumental in those efforts.

Austin only thinks they're the Austin of this state. Psh. Amateurs.

Reactions: Gold*
Clearly I'm well aware of the whales, hailing from not only a sanctuary city but also a port city. I believe our former mayor, who's a lesbian, was instrumental in those efforts.

Austin only thinks they're the Austin of this state. Psh. Amateurs.
I think they just need to break it up into:

North Texas
East Texas
West Texas
South Texas

and

Austin.

Keep in mind that not all streaming options are equal. WatchESPN has always been available for me from the beginning of a game to the end (with very limited blackout), the production quality is always excellent. games are archived almost immediately after they finish and remain available for 30 days, and the streams are compatible with virtually every imaginable device.

Anyone who paid to watch the UALR game this year can attest how bad it can get.
Even Netflix sometimes has issues. I'll be streaming a show or movie and I'll get the circle of death. Sometimes I can reload it and sometimes I can't for an hour or more. I've never had that issue with watch ESPN and with Cromecast I can watch it on any TV in my house.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
You charge people for it.

I'm not sure why people think it'd just be some free thing in the Netflix or Hulu subscription they already pay for. :-/
They might add like a $2 per month charge for that service. Well worth it for the potential number of games you would get.

The comedy part of this thread went to Twitter. You should get on there, LEC. Also, you can come
to my Karl Marx reading group tonight. We are going to watch ESPN with some LBHTQ people.
No need to go back in time...You can get a more up-to-date version of the same BS from E. Warren,
B. Sanders, and Van Jones....:rolleyes:

You guys missed out. After our Karl Marx reading group ESPN watch party on Friday, we all got Unicorn frapacinnos at Starbucks. Then we went to Hooters.

I really wonder who watches ESPN anymore. Because a lot of traditional sports watchers accuse them of being leftist; saying they won't watch it anymore. And the real true-to-god leftists don't generally enjoy competitive sports and aren't tuning into ESPN just for commentary.

My hope with these layoffs is we are able to have a better class of color commentary for the televised games this season.

Bet you dollars to donuts it will be way worse.

This x 1000. ESPN execs seem to have decided the numbers they get from talking heads that say stupid things for attention is more valuable to them than knowledgeable broadcasters. Its a shame

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
The whole industry has been heading that way for a long time. The first and failed attempt was Dennis Miller, who just tried too hard to be funny. I think the whole industry got noticeably worse when Fox started broadcasting BCS games. ESPN has been bad for a long time -- they treat their week night games like a sports radio show, where they just drone on about crap for hours in the hope they get someone to listen.

I know some didn't like him, but I thought the best color commentator we've had in forever was Mike Leach. He was kind of boring, but I like the boring monotone explanation about what is actually happening on the field. I'd rather hear that than hyperbole or how great a guy Tim Tebow is or who is going to win Michigan Ohio State or whatever other agenda they are pushing that week.

Amen....I can't even remember how many times I have to shout "But how about this game"? I
wonder if they realize how much they minimize the importance of what they are doing by continually
talking about something else.....I also wonder if they actually understand that the folks that elect to be
watching this game might be more interested in this game than anything else at the moment.....

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
Mayock is simply the best. I don't think he was ever on ESPN, but he was money on the Notre Dame broadcasts and as an analyst for the NFL now.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
I remember when MTV had music and ESPN had real sports. And NBC and CBS had real news with Huntey/Brinkley and Walter Cronkite. Oh well...........

Why does every issue have to be: Left, Right, Center?

It is about content and the programming that ESPN has sucks.

They are not funny anymore, its all about off-field, arguing, what coach will be fried or hired they have on air talent that is just okay, ratings are off, revenue down. They are part of a large corporation that is focused only about ROI.

ESPN needs to be sold off and re-programmed. It has "legs" but Disney needs to split it off and focus on developing a new personality and expanding its audience ASAP.

Left or Right? Liberal? Conservative? Let's get real.................

ESPN has a new competitor, it is called FOX.

Ridiculous, if true. The part of the alleged ESPN statement that says, "It’s a shame that this is even a topic of conversation" is highly accurate.

I'm sure there are many people out there that have names similar to historical figures that may have not been the greatest men/women of their time (especially by today's standards)...so what? Do they need to change their names in order to not offend someone? Absolutely not.

This whole thing about not being offended just boggles my mind. Different people are offended by different things...and it's okay. It's okay to be offended. Being offended is part of life. The problem is that many folks these days are looking to be offended.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT