ADVERTISEMENT

Does TU consider perception when making plans?

Tulsafanzz

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Apr 22, 2006
When it comes to football, I think the answer is no.

If they did consider perception, they would either :
A. Sell east side seats FIRST (even if prices need to be adjusted downward a couple bucks). Or :
B. They would find a way ( like Tulane & others) have & move the TV cameras so they are set up facing the home-side stands. I know this is a longer term, more expensive option.

TU has football attendance issues. We still need to improve our marketing & game day experience. However, the TV cameras showing the emptiest stands on a regular basis make our attendance look considerably worse than it is.

If anyone has any connections in our athletic dept., please ask them to consider these options.

Last edited:

A. Sell east side seats FIRST (even if prices need to be adjusted downward a couple bucks). Or :
B. They would find a way ( like Tulane & others) have & move the TV cameras so they are set up facing the home-side stands. I know this is a longer term, more expensive option.

TU has football attendance issues. We still need to improve our marketing & game day experience. However, the TV cameras showing the emptiest stands on a regular basis make our attendance look considerably worse than it is.

If anyone has any connections in our athletic dept., please ask them to consider these options.
+1

The East side is already cheaper in the good seats. 50 yard line is Gold on the East and Platinum on the West, 30 yard line is blue on the East and Gold on the West.

Fanzz brings up a very good point and one I think many of us have wondered about. I don't think it would be much trouble to put a TV deck on the east side like we have in the south end zone.

The FAU game was a little deceiving later in the game because of the heat and sunlight on that side. It was torture for some of the good folks sitting there. They obviously left early for good reason.

The East side is already cheaper in the good seats. 50 yard line is Gold on the East and Platinum on the West, 30 yard line is blue on the East and Gold on the West.

It obviously isn't cheap enough. The east side stands are emptier. You could raise west side seats &/or end zone seats to offset lowering east side seats. The point is to have fans in seats in the sight line of TV cameras.

Maybe my "plan B" would be easier.

Last edited:
If they'd put chair backs on the seats in the east side stands, I'd sit there instead of the west side. You can't even BUY tickets on the west side with a chair back (unless you wanna rent a flimsy ephemeral chair back). I think the're reserved for ancient blue hairs that don't like to stand or make noise on first downs... The east side stands were built in their current incarnation in 1930. I think it would cost too much money to add a press section or camera perch from a broadcast perspective, however, I wish they would. As a student, it always looked like a full house sitting on the east side and glaring westward.

Just putting a tv deck on top of the east would look be a weird angle for TV. It might take actually putting a section of boxes on the East side to make that TV dream a reality.

Reactions: TU_BLA
You can't (well, you shouldn't) shoot video into the sun. That's why it's there, the lens flare would be awful from the sideline cameras and you can't have cameras on both sides or you're shooting across the axis and that makes things REAL confusing. Yes, I understand Tulane did it, but I haven't seen a game from there to see how it's worked out. I bet not well.

There's nothing you can do about attendance when you have no say in when the game starts. Early afternoon starts in 90+ degree weather will always have people leave early, not to mention lots of families with kids missing. The east side has a great view but it's always going to be less popular due to the sun, plain and simple. If the games started at 7pm it would be a moot point.

It's a made for TV event anyway, the fans are nothing more than extras in a series production anymore for the most part. They make just as much money from TV then they do on a gameday most likely.

Yea, we sure don't want 2 look like a SMU game.
CP3aY_nUkAAQ-e2.jpg

You can't (well, you shouldn't) shoot video into the sun. That's why it's there, the lens flare would be awful from the sideline cameras and you can't have cameras on both sides or you're shooting across the axis and that makes things REAL confusing. Yes, I understand Tulane did it, but I haven't seen a game from there to see how it's worked out. I bet not well.

I hate it when people actually know what they are talking about. :)

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Just putting a tv deck on top of the east would look be a weird angle for TV. It might take actually putting a section of boxes on the East side to make that TV dream a reality.

It would not make sense to show the game from the east side when the game announcers are on the west. The TV angle on the PBP is almost always the one from the press box angle to line up with what the PBP is saying. If you want to put build a new press booth behind the east stands and convert some of the press area on the west to more luxury suites, that would make more sense. Honestly, I wonder if there is a way to build an enclosed area behind the east side that connects to the Reynold's Center and you can house an athletic museum/gallery on ground level. I think Boston College has that set-up between Alumni Stadium and Conte Forum (used to go watch BC and Boston U hockey there, GO TERRIERS!). It would be a huge and massive undertaking but I think it would enhance that plaza area some as well.

Yea, we sure don't want 2 look like a SMU game.
CP3aY_nUkAAQ-e2.jpg
They had the same 22,000 fans we normally get at home games. If TU takes care of business this week I'd like to think some casual curious fans might come out, but then again the next home game is against ULM (who made "Bama look lethargic for a half).

It would not make sense to show the game from the east side when the game announcers are on the west. The TV angle on the PBP is almost always the one from the press box angle to line up with what the PBP is saying. If you want to put build a new press booth behind the east stands and convert some of the press area on the west to more luxury suites, that would make more sense. Honestly, I wonder if there is a way to build an enclosed area behind the east side that connects to the Reynold's Center and you can house an athletic museum/gallery on ground level. I think Boston College has that set-up between Alumni Stadium and Conte Forum (used to go watch BC and Boston U hockey there, GO TERRIERS!). It would be a huge and massive undertaking but I think it would enhance that plaza area some as well.

Ya I had that same idea as I was making that post. It would really take an all new press box on the East side, which is just ludicrous unless you're going to have another multi-multi million dollar stadium expansion. I do like the idea of morphing the Don Rey and Chapman, the only thing I don't like is the architecture wouldn't fit together.

On TU's official website, it doesn't appear there are any where near as many tickets sold for UH as for FAU at this point. FAU had the benefit of a special ticket buy from a few big corporations.

General admission seats on the east side for the for the first two sections on the north and south end.

If they'd put chair backs on the seats in the east side stands, I'd sit there instead of the west side. You can't even BUY tickets on the west side with a chair back (unless you wanna rent a flimsy ephemeral chair back). I think the're reserved for ancient blue hairs that don't like to stand or make noise on first downs... The east side stands were built in their current incarnation in 1930. I think it would cost too much money to add a press section or camera perch from a broadcast perspective, however, I wish they would. As a student, it always looked like a full house sitting on the east side and glaring westward.

There are chair backs on the middle sections of the east side. Great seats and comfortable actually. There are ample number of open areas you can get seats with permanent backs. Join us on the East Side. Of course with this team, you will be standing up more often.

The wife and I did stay for the whole game FAU game on the east side. It was hot, but the home team kept coming back and fighting to the end. No regrets for staying with the home team to the end through the sweat and sunburn.

I never want to return to the West Side. I don't care to get yelled out for standing up on third down and cheering on the defense. I realize not all of the West Siders are that way, but no reason to return.

Looking forward to the game with chair backs on the East Side and possibly cooler weather. Go TU!!!!!!

Really? I didn't know that. Every time I've sat on the east side it's been on the alluminum-alloy benches. What sections and rows would get me a seat with a chair back? I'll be joining you out east for the ULM game since I can drive up from Dallas in a day and make kickoff.

104 has seat backs as long as you are up behind the boxes. We used to have our season tickets there, row 20 or so. They were fantastic seats as long as the game was a late afternoon or evening game (in August/September) or during the later season games.

On TU's official website, it doesn't appear there are any where near as many tickets sold for UH as for FAU at this point. FAU had the benefit of a special ticket buy from a few big corporations.

The FAU game was also INFC night which helped some.

Section 104 and 105 have the chair backs. Check out the sections for your return for the ULM game.

Our seats are in the top row of Section 104. We love it up there. However, be aware that some of the chairs back seats have extremely narrow legroom while others are quite roomy.
The front of the concrete benches that the chairs are mounted to to not follow straight horizontal lines. The chair back seats are mounted to the vertical part of the concrete benches, which result in very 'wavy' rows. If the seats were mounted to the tops of the concrete benches instead of the sides, the rows could have been horizontally straight and parallel.
So some of the seats, like ours, are great but others are downright awful.

You guys keep calling us a community college among other things. So I'm replying back.

How is that an insult? I thought UH was a community college. I mean, your initials are pronounced "UHHHHH," right?

If they took perception into account while making plans, TU would be in FCS right now.

We've been to the Sugar Bowl twice, the Orange Bowl, Gator Bowl, couple of Liberty Bowls (which aren't quite as impressive, but still count for a successful program) all while being a tiny tiny school demanding high academic standards. Way too many remarkable attributes to be relegated to FCS.

Excellent post Fanzz......regarding the sunlight and the camara would that really be a factor in a 11:00 AM kickoff game?

GO TU!!!!!!

Geo, I think east side cameras would work with 11:00 AM or evening games, but Novocaine & others made good points why they wouldn't work well with afternoon & early evening starting times. I will watch a Tulane game or 2 to see how it works for them.

I guess selling east side seats, maybe even thru group sales instead of end zone seats, is the best option.

I just get really tired of fans of OU, OSU, other AAC schools, etc., seeing our empty east side seats & assuming the entire stadium is that empty.

Having damn near every game on national TV hurts attendance more than anything.

OU and OSU fans having their games on national TV hurts our attendance way more than having Tulsa's games on ESPN3 and CBSsportsnet. If those fair-weather fans had to drive to Norman and Stillwater to watch their team play, they'd pay a lot less attention to the big boys. Our attendance flags dramatically when we're contemporaneously scheduled alongside OU or OSU games. It's rough, but it's true: our attendance is affected dramatically by the externalities of when those two teams play on Saturday.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
General admission seats on the east side for the for the first two sections on the north and south end.

I'm not sure what you mean by "General Admission seats", but according to the TU website, the cheapest tickets for any east side seats are $30/each. And yes, the east side will again look empty for national TV.

Meanwhile in Houston, tickets for the lower bowl are already almost sold out for Thursday's game against SMU.

Meanwhile in Houston, tickets for the lower bowl are already almost sold out for Thursday's game against SMU.

You never sent me that resume. I was going to print it on bond for you. Any of those service jobs on 11th interest you? If not, we have a poster, Pokenmiike1, who has a mom that could get you in touch with some people with work you may want to do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT