WHERE ARE THE PLAYERS??? Seriously.

Originally posted by bigzit:
The story is....

Haith cannot recruit!

That's a freakin' HEADLINE right now.

WHERE ARE THE PLAYERS??? Seriously.
And you base this on what data?

You are one negative nelly.

Chris has explained this on the Hurricane Alley board. Don't jump overboard.......

I don't understand why a 16 year old kid would make a college commitment after his sophomore year in high school or why jocksniffers get so worked up about them. It's not a commitment until the LOI is signed.

This post was edited on 4/15 12:52 AM by 'Cane-man

Well.... I am in the sea drifting without any raft or life vest....

Data? Well.... can someone identify 1 (just 1) recruit that Haith has brought into the program that will play next year (heck, I am not saying contribute in AAC play) --- just come in and wear a uniform???

I think a lot of concern is that Wojcik seemed to be a better recruiter than Haith and Manning seemed to be a better developer than Haith. Like it or not, Manning took the team to the NCAA tournament and had finished his time here on a positive note. Wojcik was an obvious idiot, but at least the guy and his staff could recruit. The jury is still out on Haith.

The fans need something positive to occur in the off season. We ARE in one of the better MBB/WBB leagues in the nation after all.

Originally posted by rabidTU:
I think a lot of concern is that Wojcik seemed to be a better recruiter than Haith and Manning seemed to be a better developer than Haith. Like it or not, Manning took the team to the NCAA tournament and had finished his time here on a positive note. Wojcik was an obvious idiot, but at least the guy and his staff could recruit. The jury is still out on Haith.

The fans need something positive to occur in the off season. We ARE in one of the better MBB/WBB leagues in the nation after all.
Tulsa makes the Tourney this year if they were in the CUSA. Not really a fair argument.

GO TU!!!!

Yeah, I wouldn't put Manning in the "developer" category. The biggest improvements for current players on campus in the last three years have occurred this season...Shaq, Marquel, Ray, Smith, Edogi. No one made massive strides under Manning, IMO.

Now, I will say that both Scottie and Tim made enormous leadership strides under Manning. We could use some of that now.

A fair argument imo would be that this years squad was a year older and a year more experienced that the team which won the CUSA tourney yet didn't appear to improve. Did the players reach their potential as sophomores under Manning?

The knock on Haith coming out of Mizzou was that he couldn't put together a decent team (recruit) once MA's players departed. His first class here was a disaster. This year's class thus far doesn't look like a group which can compete with the likes of UConn, Memphis, SMU, Cincy. He has spots left to fill. I'm cautiously optimistic he can fill some gaps with quality players (transfers and Jucos) based on who we're in on. I'm more concerned about high school recruiting as the 2016 class is shaping up not only to be a huge class but one which will determine where TU basketball is for the next 3 to 4 years. We need to sign high level players instead of projects and sleepers if we're going to compete in this league. See who the top AAC teams are signing. Haith isn't going to outcoach the best coaches in this league...they're damn good. We need to be on par talent wise.

I think the supporting data on Haith not being able to recruit is the 2014-2015 Missouri roster. However, there is still a lot of time to bring in some useful parts this offseason. It is too early to state that he cannot recruit at Tulsa.

I don't think the CUSA champ squad would have been .500 in the American. And that's not all just natural maturation year over year.

Our 2013-2014 team was rated #76 by Sagarin. This years squad checks in at #82. How is that not a disappointment? How does that show player and team development? This years squad should have been better based on experience and development alone. Sagarin is about as objective as I can get as far as comparing the two teams.
This post was edited on 4/15 10:50 AM by lawpoke87

Reactions: WATU2
Originally posted by lawpoke87:

Our 2013-2014 team was rated #76 by Sagarin. This years squad checks in at #82. How is that not a disappointment? How does that show player and team development? This years squad should have been better based on experience and development alone. Sagarin is about as objective as I can get as far as comparing the two teams.
This post was edited on 4/15 10:50 AM by lawpoke87
Sagarin:
107 SOS this year, 143 last year.
23-11 this year, 21-13 last year.
#9 conference this year, #18 last year.
More wins against tougher competition in a tougher conference with a new coach.

This team finished 2nd in the #9 conference and would have no doubt won #17 CUSA this year.

I'm pretty certain everyone in here agrees that had we not been implementing a new system we don't lose to ORU or SEOSU.
Those two game alone buy us 15 spots in Sagarin and an NCAA bid and changes this seasons outcome dramatically.

I think this was a better team this year vs. last years team.

This post was edited on 4/15 1:46 PM by Weatherdemon

Sagarin takes all those factors into account except for the new system and we finished higher last season. This year we played 6 top 50 teams and lost to all of them. Last year we played 7 top 50 teams and won one.

Agree in regards to SEOSU. Hard to agree with the OSU logic when we lost to every NCAA tourney team we played.

Suppose it comes down to whether you think this year's team progressed from the team we saw playing at the end of the 2013-2014 season. I don't and I certainly don't think they progressed as much as I expected.

Originally posted by lawpoke87:

Sagarin takes all those factors into account except for the new system and we finished higher last season. This year we played 6 top 50 teams and lost to all of them. Last year we played 7 top 50 teams and won one.

Agree in regards to SEOSU. Hard to agree with the OSU logic when we lost to every NCAA tourney team we played.

Suppose it comes down to whether you think this year's team progressed from the team we saw playing at the end of the 2013-2014 season. I don't and I certainly don't think they progressed as much as I expected.
Should've been oRu, not OSU.
We wouldn't have beaten OSU this year unless they played their worst and we played our best.

I thought the team progressed well earlyand kind of flatlined late. All of the tricks had been figured out and we just didn't have the pieces to do much else.

One fact: we were never in the at-large bid discussion in 13-14 with an RPI of 70, but were for the last 2 weeks of the season in 14-15 with an RPI of 45 and dipping into the 30's. We were most likely a win away in 14-15 from gaining that bid (either Cincy or at SMU). Not even close in 13-14.

Our conference schedule was really back loaded too which gave us a false sense of the quality of this team. Hopefully Haith and crew can figure out something over the summer to either elevate the game of the existing players or add a few key additions (or both) to get us to an NCAA quality squad.

One of the biggest problems the men's basketball faces is a lack of balance from inside to outside. Tulsa is overly dependent on outside players and not enough inside players that can make a difference to keep a real balance going. This has been true for at least 3 years now. It has to get better for this team to make significant improvement. This situation makes it too easy for good teams shut down what options Tulsa does have. Easy to diagnose, not so easy to fix.

Looks like Dashawn may end up at Smu. Hate seeing both him and Shake go out of state much less to play for Larry Brown.

Looks like Dashawn may end up at Smu. Hate seeing both him and Shake go out of state much less to play for Larry Brown.

Play for Larry Brown for a team on probation that may be banned from postseason play for several years. That seems like a dumb choice.

Play for Larry Brown for a team on probation that may be banned from postseason play for several years. That seems like a dumb choice.

Both Shake and DaShawn need to look 2 yrs into the future and ask themselves if they would have committed to Tim Jankovich if LarryBrown weren't there because that's essentially what they are doing

I'm still a little aggravated the TU staff said "they let him go"...

That's a little misleading, in my opinion.

... Especially when we go out and get no names who have terrible, terrible offer sheets or players with a troubled past.

Dashawn was a good kid who had tons of easily visible skill. These recruits whom Haith is bringing in better perform in 2016.

It just depends on who you want to believe, I guess. According to coaches, TU rescinded the offer and cut him loose, then he "decommitted". A week or two later, he says he had committed too early and opened things back up. So the truth is in there somewhere.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
It just depends on who you want to believe, I guess. According to coaches, TU rescinded the offer and cut him loose, then he "decommitted". A week or two later, he says he had committed too early and opened things back up. So the truth is in there somewhere.

Is anyone else really worried about this staff and the way they have recruited so far? Just curious because it seems that we are getting our a$$ kicked by every other school in the conference when it comes to recruiting and they are taking these kids from our own back yard.

It is somewhat concerning. Birt and Taplin have to come through. If Taplin becomes a standout, I'll be optimistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris Harmon
I'm more concerned than I typically am based on the existing reputation of Haith, the McDowell situation, and so many swings and misses.

The only high profile signee has a ton of baggage. Our recent 2015 signee apparently has been in the witness protection program.

I'm more concerned than I typically am based on the existing reputation of Haith, the McDowell situation, and so many swings and misses.

The only high profile signee has a ton of baggage. Our recent 2015 signee apparently has been in the witness protection program.

The last two have not signed.

Here is another little piece of concerning info...coach Haith has yet to purchase a house in Tulsa. Is he one and done?

Based on his history, I would not at all be surprised if Haith left if he was offered a good job after a successful second season at TU, especially if he believes year three will be difficult. That is how he has operated in the past. However, I do not see any big-money school calling him until he succeeds with his own recruits.

2015 may be finished (unless we find a big instant starter)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT