ADVERTISEMENT

David Alexander

Culpepper wouldn't do that.
Because he could not do so with any reliable level of accuracy and speed. He had an arm like a cannon but the aim of a musket when throwing deep. It’s why FSU pulled their offer and he wound up at UCF. You’ll hear that he stuck with UCF after they taught him to read while he was still in high school and his only offer, but the reality is that they needed someone to throw deep in the FSU and he wasn’t able to show it in camp. UF pulled their offer too.

And probably the lowest average yards downfield passing completion rate and average depth of target in history as well. I don’t watch the pro game and he’s a good example why. It’s all dinks and dunks through a pre-determined gap or screen passes. He hasn’t challenged a team with his arm strength in his entire career and I’d bet thrown deep more than 5 times a game in a decade. I’ve never played QB but this is the opinion of Phil Simms, Boomer, and several others. And that opinion makes sense. He gets the business from a lot of people, and not just for his tone deaf way of dealing with teammates. He does win. So that silences us all.
I can see that. And you're right, his arm strength is so so. But he does what he is tasked with at a very high level. With the insane athleticism that today's LBs and DBs possess, it's nearly impossible to beat a good man defense with a QB and a WR anymore. You're not seeing the 49ers and their crazy offenses running free all over the place anymore. Today's offenses put a little more on the IQ of the QB and the skill positions to make a read at the LOS and counter it. I think currently only the Chiefs have the insane talent and weapons where they just beat you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT