ADVERTISEMENT

David Alexander

astonmartin708

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Apr 17, 2012
Out at BA two years after winning the school’s only state championship. I wonder what the reason was there?

If everything is Kosher with him character-wise he’d be a no-brainer to bring on staff. An alumni, former NFL player who should have recruiting ties in the area.

Last edited:
Out at BA two years after winning the school’s only state championship. I wonder what the reason was there?

If everything is Kosher with him character-wise he’d be a no-brainer to bring on staff. An alumni, former NFL player who should have recruiting ties in the area.
Maybe burnout ?
If they let him go they are idiots

Reactions: TULSARISING

Who is the candidates

Both he and the school confirmed it about his record.
They fired a guy who won the 1st state championship they've had, made it to the finals another year, had 2 district titles, and a 60-23 record at a school that was never in contention for a title until he arrived?
I appreciate high expectations but damn, it's a four school battle vs a two school battle for the championship each year, in part because of him.

I don’t care about who BA hires. I just want us to hire Alexander. His family has done a lot for TU athletics and he’d definitely be a good coach to have on staff if he’d be interested in moving to the college ranks.

Where you gonna put him? We have one legend in player personnel right now. Our scouting guy has been on the job 40 years. Our director of recruiting is the brother of our QB coach and arguably best recruiter. Our OLine play has zoomed upwards with the hiring of Zach Hansen. There’s not a spot for him, unless Hansen goes, and bringing in a high school guy, even a legend, is a bad idea in that spot anyway. We are trimming the budget so development won’t be a good fit. Maybe if someone leaves putting him at RB coach makes sense.

Reactions: TU 1978
Where you gonna put him? We have one legend in player personnel right now. Our scouting guy has been on the job 40 years. Our director of recruiting is the brother of our QB coach and arguably best recruiter. Our OLine play has zoomed upwards with the hiring of Zach Hansen. There’s not a spot for him, unless Hansen goes, and bringing in a high school guy, even a legend, is a bad idea in that spot anyway. We are trimming the budget so development won’t be a good fit. Maybe if someone leaves putting him at RB coach makes sense.
If we don’t grab him someone else (probably OU, OSU, Ark) will and then we get to recruit against him for kids in our own backyard. I agree that spots are limited, but he’d be worth it. The guy clearly knows how to coach and he’s got 10 year NFL pedigree as a TU alumni. Maybe some kind of O or D quality control position until another spot opens up. We had Blank coaching special teams before he became HC.

If there was room in the program for Jerry O then there should be room for Alexander.

Last edited:
This is weird. If it’s really about football, which is what everyone officially says, then this is a pretty gross use of resources at this level of football. He’s a good coach. They likely won’t find a better one. I’ve never liked BA and now I have no reason to reconsider that.

This sounds a lot like the reasoning behind refusing a mask mandate.

Maybe the band director didn’t like him. It’s BA, you’ve got to know who’s in charge.
Is that the same guy as their hype man that made all those videos and walked around during football games with a megaphone? I thought he was a bit much then I heard about some of the branding things he did and he certainly is not afraid of taking risks to get results.

very puzzling indeed. Maybe DA would take an unpaid interim position until a real one opens. I would TU to pick him up off the shelf first.

Is that the same guy as their hype man that made all those videos and walked around during football games with a megaphone? I thought he was a bit much then I heard about some of the branding things he did and he certainly is not afraid of taking risks to get results.

I can’t see the BA director roaming the stands with a megaphone. Maybe it’s one of his helpers. They do have at least a dozen on staff.

BA is the only place I’ve been where the marching band is more popular than the football team. At least 70% of to crowd leaves after the halftime show, even when their team is winning. It’s quite a spectacle to see.

Reactions: eastcane
I can’t see the BA director roaming the stands with a megaphone. Maybe it’s one of his helpers. They do have at least a dozen on staff.

BA is the only place I’ve been where the marching band is more popular than the football team. At least 70% of to crowd leaves after the halftime show, even when their team is winning. It’s quite a spectacle to see.
No one else has a band nearly as good lol

Is Jerry O back working for TU? He is a tremendous man both on and off the field.

The football team hasn't won multiple national championships. I grew up in a similar minded band program in MA. The band director did what he wanted mostly because he raised the money to do what he wanted. He told the school board the band wasn't playing at a football game because we had a competition. One school board member tried to have the band director fired and said board member resigned about 3 days after it became public because of the backlash.

On Alexander...I have no idea what BA is thinking. Prior to him getting to BA and Blankenship getting to Owasso, 6A-1 came down to Union and Jenks every year. Since those coaches coming to those schools, it's been a 4 team horserace and you never know who is going to win the matchups between the 4 of them. And you know the state champion is coming from one of those 4. It's like SMU firing Dykes because he only goes 7-3 this year and didn't win the AAC. It's like OSU firing Gundy for going 9-2 every year but not being able to beat Oklahoma. What are the realistic expectations. Alexander has near a 75% winning percentage. In what realm of competitive sports is that not acceptable? Especially in high school. He's sent more kids to FBS the last 3-4 years than Lancaster did in his entire stretch at BA. You don't really hear about his kids getting in trouble. Seriously, when did the school board of BA lose touch with reality and the goal of high school athletics. Did they only notice because they canceled the band's entire competitive season?

As for Aston, I don't think Dave is up for a plethora of college jobs. I think he could be an asset to TU in fundraising or being an NFL face and ambassador in recruiting. Honestly, Jake is a better candidate to be a college coach.

Reactions: 4tu2
Wouldnt surprise me at all if SMU fired Dykes. Even if he “left” it would not surprise me to learn it was a force out or a dressed up firing.

Reactions: TU 1978 and Gold*
They need to just go ahead and hire Graham and get it over with. Dykes is a good, not great coach. We’d be lucky to have him.

Wells just isn’t going to cut it. Tech looks awful. That hire never made sense. They need to run the air raid or the wishbone and make people adjust to them. The Tulane coach would also work.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Wells just isn’t going to cut it. Tech looks awful. That hire never made sense. They need to run the air raid or the wishbone and make people adjust to them. The Tulane coach would also work.
He took the money. You would too if you knew your record could only go down in that conference in a small state where Utah and the Y will always rule. It was a bad match and a bad choice. He will be fine. He will turn up at UTEP or New Mexico or Nevada in a few years.

Sounds like the parents weren’t happy and that he made some people mad. He also won at a school that never wins.
That school has been unrealistic since they bought Spike Dykes from Midland Lee and his knock off of the Cactus Jack Curtice offense. Somebody like Graham is perfect for them. Promise the moon. Almost deliver. Built up unrealistic expectations after knocking off a team nobody expects them to win. Move on.

Reactions: drboobay
Sounds like the parents weren’t happy and that he made some people mad. He also won at a school that never wins.

I heard the same this afternoon from someone who I believe to have reliable information. Apparently some in the athletic dept and administration are relieved with the change.

I heard his interview on KRMG this morning with Rick Couri, while driving to work and at noon on 97.1 during lunch.
He came off as likeable and a good guy.

That school has been unrealistic since they bought Spike Dykes from Midland Lee and his knock off of the Cactus Jack Curtice offense. Somebody like Graham is perfect for them. Promise the moon. Almost deliver. Built up unrealistic expectations after knocking off a team nobody expects them to win. Move on.

I was talking about Alexander.

OT I know but can’t resist! I heard it was TG’s dream job.

Malzahn Will be available too and maybe a better fit at Tech. Then again, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Tech take the Briles plunge. It’s only a matter of time before someone does.

Malzahn Will be available too and maybe a better fit at Tech. Then again, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Tech take the Briles plunge. It’s only a matter of time before someone does.

Briles done.

I know another school I like that should look at Gus.

The idea of any buyout of any coach this year is deeply offensive. There are just bigger issues in the world. A new football coach won’t make them better.

Briles done.

The idea of any buyout of any coach this year is deeply offensive. There are just bigger issues in the world. A new football coach won’t make them better.
Agree. We all know I think Montgomery is a huge mistake. We’ve had success in part due to an exceptional player and other teams not being prepared due to CoVid. Despite that, we’ve nearly lost three very winnable games. Recruiting this year is questionable at best though late additions could make a difference.

That said, he has won. Spending the money to let him go would be a mistake. He’s earned another year. But not another five. If he wins out, sell him for what little buy out is left. I don’t think there will be takers, even if he beats Florida in Tempe.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
Agree. We all know I think Montgomery is a huge mistake. We’ve had success in part due to an exceptional player and other teams not being prepared due to CoVid. Despite that, we’ve nearly lost three very winnable games. Recruiting this year is questionable at best though late additions could make a difference.

That said, he has won. Spending the money to let him go would be a mistake. He’s earned another year. But not another five. If he wins out, sell him for what little buy out is left. I don’t think there will be takers, even if he beats Florida in Tempe.
I think your idea of the gullibility of some AD's is underrated.

Side Note: You know he's going to be trashing us in whatever interview he can pull off. He'll go on about leaving him underfunded with his salary, recruiting budget, assistant salaries, etc.

I think your idea of the gullibility of some AD's is underrated.

Side Note: You know he's going to be trashing us in whatever interview he can pull off. He'll go on about leaving him underfunded with his salary, recruiting budget, assistant salaries, etc.
That’s cool. It’s part of the deal. Kragthorpe did the same then walked it back. We’ve been here 120 years. We can take it.

That’s cool. It’s part of the deal. Kragthorpe did the same then walked it back. We’ve been here 120 years. We can take it.
I'm afraid Janet might have something to say about that. She and her acolytes can do much more damage than Montgomery could ever do.(And there is more truth to some of what Montgomery would say, than we would like to admit right now.)

Briles done.

While we all know Monty has deficiencies being a head coach and much of it can be summed up to stubbornness and not bringing in an OC to call plays and let the HC focus on game mgmt and all of these things should be apparent to anyone who follows TU football and warrants a change DESPITE the W/L record this year, we know TU WILL NOT fire Monty after getting his team to the AAC conference championship game. While it's fine for a P5 program to fire a coach for persistent 9-3 seasons, can you imagine the outrage TU would face for firing a coach who just got them to the conference championship game despite being picked to finish in the bottom 1/3 of the conference. It's also hard to fire the Conference Coach of the Year. Even if Cincy claims the conference title, Monty is clearly the coach of the year simply because of the low expectations of outsiders to start the year.

On to Briles....you may think he is unemployable in FBS again but you will find out pretty soon how quickly schools that value winning games over morality and ethics will contact him and some AD/booster will somehow rationalize that he is reformed and can be trusted and he is the best choice. Much the same way Urban Meyer keeps getting jobs despite his win at all costs and ignore the ramifications of recruiting and hiring gangsters, thugs, criminals. The crew he had at Florida was a bad collection of dudes except the media didn't pay any attention to the problems because the face of the program was a choir boy (despite a gang hitman and soon to be murdered in their midst). Ohio State had similar issues with compliance and hiring of a serial domestic violence abuser. On top of hiring Zach Smith knowing his history of problems, Meyer deliberately and continually lied about his knowledge of it. Texas is going to 100% offer him $10M per year to take over the program (if not more) knowing full well he is going to have them in the negative media spotlight in 3 or less years. The worst part of Briles and Meyer is that both of them still, to this day, do not understand the error of their ways and continually rationalize and explain away why they're innocent (they're not).

Monty has done a pretty good job of finding high school talent that can be developed into FBS level players. It is the game planning and in game stuff that seem to be his faults. You cannot dismiss the strengths as irrelevant.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT