ADVERTISEMENT

Covid Among Us (Again) - TU Pauses Practice Indefinitely

If we have to pause practice everytime a player tests positive, there's no way to have a season.

It’s 16 players out. 8 with positive tests plus 8 more that came in direct contact with them.

Well, at least those players getting it now won’t get it during the season. I am very glad to hear they are asymptomatic.

I agree with Aston, no way football can be played if one case shuts things down. Most teams have 100 player rosters. Keeping cases at zero all season doesn’t seem possible.

Reactions: TULSARISING
Media release...

Tulsa Football Practice Paused

TULSA, Okla. – Eight University of Tulsa football student-athletes have tested positive for the COVID-19 virus and have been placed in isolation until medically cleared to resume normal activities. The impacted students are asymptomatic and none has required hospitalization.

Eight additional football student-athletes that came into direct contact with those positive cases will remain in quarantine for the required 14 days.

Football practice at The University of Tulsa will be paused until further notice. Practice was paused last Wednesday as student-athletes underwent this round of COVID-19 testing.

“It’s unfortunate that we have to pause practice, but the well-being, health and security of our athletes is our number one priority,” said Tulsa Head Coach Philip Montgomery. “We will continue to do everything we can during this stretch to keep our players safe, healthy and at the top of their game mentally.”

Strength and conditioning training and team meetings are the only athletically-related activity that will be permitted. These activities will take place in small groups with strict physical distancing and universal masking protocols remaining in place.

“The health and safety of our student-athletes, coaches and staff is always at the core of all of our discussions and decisions and continues to be our utmost priority. This suspension of practice is prudent and necessary at this time,” said Vice President and Director of Athletics Dr. Derrick Gragg. “We are also continuing to monitor all of our fall sports teams currently on campus.”

I think it would be smart to move it to the spring , players and coaches health is more important than a game, not to mention how some fans would be allowed to attend to make it more people

Reactions: GOTULSA
Nothing is going to change from now until the spring. Dont get the move it to the spring solution. Unless the plan is to completely isolate every single person in the US for 2 weeks, then nothing's changing. People go out without realizing they have covid, amd by the time they know, 100 more people are infected, without realizing it, and so on and so on. There are probably 10 times the amount of people that have it, then are actually confirmed cases.

Well, at least those players getting it now won’t get it during the season. I am very glad to hear they are asymptomatic.

I agree with Aston, no way football can be played if one case shuts things down. Most teams have 100 player rosters. Keeping cases at zero all season doesn’t seem possible.
Friend of ours that contracted COVID and recovered was told by their doctor that he's had it 3X.

Friend of ours that contracted COVID and recovered was told by their doctor that he's had it 3X.
Wow, I haven’t heard of anyone getting it twice. There’s still a big debate in the scientific community on whether anyone in the world has had it twice. They believe any second cases have been continuations of the first infection. It appears there’s still a lot we don’t know about Covid.

BTW, between the OSU sorority and the TU football team you have 31 cases, with only one case even showing any symptoms. That is one reason why college kids have a hard time practicing social distancing. When the risk of becoming sick is that low, the fear factor isn’t there.

Last edited:
Playing football this season might be a miracle. I think if only one player had it and did not have contact with anyone else practice would have continued. A total of 16 is another story.

I was born in the summer of 1948. In fact, on Wednesday I will "celebrate" my 72nd birthday. I have however, lived during 73 summers. I have many good summer memories. Without a doubt my number one summer was the summer of 1960, 1966 is probably number 2. I suppose I could sit down and rank the rest. I will start that process at the other end. Number 73--2020.

This year is a pivotal year. It seems like most of our entertainment and social activity is gone or shut down. No one seems to have a handle on the virus. Even alternatives are out. Today the Canadian Football League canceled it's season. I am 13% French with some of that attributed to French Canadian from one of my Great Grandmothers. I sometimes watched Canadian Football. I even know what a Rouge is.

I stated before that the American Conference appeared to be hanging around hoping for a miracle. I am not sure there is one out there.

Wow, I can't believe those 8 didn't have contact with any more than that. I would've figured most of the team would've come into contact with them.
From what I’ve heard, every player on the team was tested at the same time. The fact that the 8 that came in contact are forced to quarantine is dumb in my opinion because they obviously tested negative or else they would have been counted in the positive list.

Does my thought make sense to anyone else or is that just me?

From what I’ve heard, every player on the team was tested at the same time. The fact that the 8 that came in contact are forced to quarantine is dumb in my opinion because they obviously tested negative or else they would have been counted in the positive list.

Does my thought make sense to anyone else or is that just me?
Regardless of whether you tested positive or not, you could have come into contact with a few days after they were positive. Then you would possibly test positive in a few days from the test. I would just think if you tested positive, coming into contact with, would include the last two weeks. I don't see how you could not see a teammate on the field or off in the last two weeks. Unless it was the kicker or holder for instance, but they can't all be kickers.

Wow, I haven’t heard of anyone getting it twice.
I haven't heard of anyone getting it twice, but I have heard the antibodies last about 3 to 6 months in most people. One of my co-workers had COVID early in the year...his antibody test after 3 months was positive, but another 3 months later, and the antibodies were no longer present.

I haven't heard of anyone getting it twice, but I have heard the antibodies last about 3 to 6 months in most people. One of my co-workers had COVID early in the year...his antibody test after 3 months was positive, but another 3 months later, and the antibodies were no longer present.

That is what I’ve read as well.

Yep, that's why they have flu shots every year.

Stick a fork in it! Feel horrible for the kids and fans but I think Big 10 got it right for now. Playing in front of empty stadiums just won't be the same. This is one of those no win options unfortunately.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: UNC Chapel Hill will pivot to all-remote instruction for undergraduates rapid spread of the novel coronavirus, just 1 week after classes began— 177 new cases confirmed among students. Welp—that in-campus experiment didn’t last long. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/COVID19?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#COVID19</a> <a href="https://t.co/6OIeBRFsCf">https://t.co/6OIeBRFsCf</a></p>&mdash; Eric Feigl-Ding (@DrEricDing) <a href="">August 17, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Yet another occurrence of why college sports won't happen this fall.

Then of course there’s the point that if you test 100 football players at once, 8 of them being positive would be within the well documented false positive rate for most rapid testing technology. We don’t know a lot about CoVid which means we know even less about how effectively we are testing. Let’s wait for the follow up and any symptoms before we declare all 8 positive and get worried.

App State is probably toast though. Two clusters. UNC was at least five but not the football team. This can be done if the kids want to do it.

it will be interesting to see how many of all of these college cases end up with any symptoms, and any severe symptoms. zero?

i also find it interesting that many teachers didn't want to go get infected by children, yet in Bixby, Jenks, and Bartlesville, where teachers tested positive, there weren't any kids in class yet. Must be some goings-on in the teachers lounge???

Such a strange deal. hope everyone stays safe.

Good news for Phil: This solidifies his job security yet another year! So long he chooses to remain, he will be here coaching the 2021-2022 season. Maybe he will want to leave and agree to a reduced buyout, but I think he loves the kids he works with and is happy to have a job.

It was already a given that he'd most likely stay though the end of his contract, but this situation all but guarantees it. I know this will be a hard reality for some to accept, but that's the way it is. TU recently laid of 45 more employees after the semi-pressured retirement of quite a few others before that. The long road to financial stability just got longer with a pandemic that will virtually shut down most universities and make the costs of education that much higher. A football coach and paying high buyouts can not and should not be a priority.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Feel bad for this kid...
Not sure how he got It but know many adults attitudes towards COVID-19 didn’t help him at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT