ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Awards

URedskin54

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Jun 13, 2005
3 on the first team, 5 on the second team, 5 honorable mention. Zaven Collins is the first ever unanimous defensive POY selection

EpSjPTyW8AER8NO

EpSjgsXXMAEAhJm

EpSkGdGXEAIT5Sg

EpShCKKWMAIduz2

Surprised to see Justin Wright made second team and also surprised Allie Green and Akayleb Evans are not at least second team.
I'm not surprised on Wright based on production on the field. He was a beast this year as a RS-FR. The only reason he would not be on this list would be that he wasn't heralded as a preseason pick.

Good to see Tyler Smith and Jaxon Player get their recognition too. Without pure numbers for a DL in terms of tangible tackles, TFLs, and sacks, its hard to recognize how freaking good Jaxon is. He disrupts everything and gives the LBs an opportunity to make plays without being harassed. That disruption often goes unrecognized in our stats driven world. Hell, Jaxon made the OSU OL look silly in that game. Their tackle could not block him and was a big key in Sanders running for his life early on in that game and Hubbard being largely unproductive. Credit to Goodlow and Big Cat who both should have received honorable mention honors as well if not 2nd team. Goodlow was extremely good all year and Big Cat basically forced teams to rethink trying to run the middle against us. None of our 3 starting DL this year could really be blocked effectively 1 v 1.

Puzzling is Allie Green only being honorable mention despite being a Thorpe semifinalist meaning he's one of the top 12 DBs in the nation.

And sorry...Fickel being name coach of the year is a little bit of a slap unless the other coaches in the AAC believe the same that most of us do...we win despite Monty being coach. We were picked to finish 9th and finished regular season co-champions. Cincinnati was picked 2nd in the American. Yes, they've had a great season. Our season by comparison is off the charts. Monty should get some credit right? Kelly Hines was basically puzzled about this as well.

I'm not surprised on Wright based on production on the field. He was a beast this year as a RS-FR. The only reason he would not be on this list would be that he wasn't heralded as a preseason pick.

Good to see Tyler Smith and Jaxon Player get their recognition too. Without pure numbers for a DL in terms of tangible tackles, TFLs, and sacks, its hard to recognize how freaking good Jaxon is. He disrupts everything and gives the LBs an opportunity to make plays without being harassed. That disruption often goes unrecognized in our stats driven world. Hell, Jaxon made the OSU OL look silly in that game. Their tackle could not block him and was a big key in Sanders running for his life early on in that game and Hubbard being largely unproductive. Credit to Goodlow and Big Cat who both should have received honorable mention honors as well if not 2nd team. Goodlow was extremely good all year and Big Cat basically forced teams to rethink trying to run the middle against us. None of our 3 starting DL this year could really be blocked effectively 1 v 1.

Puzzling is Allie Green only being honorable mention despite being a Thorpe semifinalist meaning he's one of the top 12 DBs in the nation.

And sorry...Fickel being name coach of the year is a little bit of a slap unless the other coaches in the AAC believe the same that most of us do...we win despite Monty being coach. We were picked to finish 9th and finished regular season co-champions. Cincinnati was picked 2nd in the American. Yes, they've had a great season. Our season by comparison is off the charts. Monty should get some credit right? Kelly Hines was basically puzzled about this as well.

Yeah Wright would have been a homer pick for me if I had a vote. I'm just surprised they put a younger guy like him up there, especially as much as he gets overshadowed by some of the other guys on our defense. He's a big time player though.

I think it’s Exhibit A that his peers know he has no business in this job and it was a generational player, an unusual season, and effective coordinator that put him in this position. He’s along for the ride. Which is fine. Switzer wore a lot of rings doing the same thing. Difference is, he added value on the sideline, not subtracted it, while raising far more than his salary.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT