ADVERTISEMENT

Climate Change: the costs of doing nothing

I’m disheartened that people feel they need to do this. I love Monet. Probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite artist.

I think there are probably better ways of gaining notoriety than gluing yourself to a priceless painting, and the people who you need to reach are typically ones who don’t care about the art anyway.

Reactions: watu05
Hostility wins out. It's hard to see how this country can continue to have a vibrant, effective democracy if this is becomes the new norm.
I’m much more concerned with the growing number of lost and hopeless young teenagers than one left wing political weather guy somewhere in Iowa. They are our future and they are lost. Suppose we can also talk about the skyrocketing crime in our cities and the mass exodus of business and now people from the same as it relates to a vibrant country.

Doesn’t compare to the damage done by drilling and fracking to local water supplies both from usage and pollution. And that is just to the water supply, not the subsequent carbon in the atmosphere.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: noble cane
Doesn’t compare to the damage done drilling and fracking to local water supplies both from usage and pollution. And that is just to the water supply, not the subsequent carbon in the atmosphere.
Show how ignorant you are of how frac'ing is performed in 2 sentences...

I’m much more concerned with the growing number of lost and hopeless young teenagers than one left wing political weather guy somewhere in Iowa. They are our future and they are lost. Suppose we can also talk about the skyrocketing crime in our cities and the mass exodus of business and now people from the same as it relates to a vibrant country.

I call Shennanigans on that polling.

A) 2012 was not the “rise” of social media.
B) Clearly no-one was listening to teens on the Mid-2000’s when we had an entire musical genre named after our depression. Emo. Nowhere in that graphic do i see a statistically significant rise in depression during that era even though I (anecdotally) saw a significant rise in teenage suicides and self harm during the same time.

If you’d like to see real depression go to an emo kids MySpace page from 2003.

I call Shennanigans on that polling.

A) 2012 was not the “rise” of social media.
B) Clearly no-one was listening to teens on the Mid-2000’s when we had an entire musical genre named after our depression. Emo. Nowhere in that graphic do i see a statistically significant rise in depression during that era even though I (anecdotally) saw a significant rise in teenage suicides and self harm during the same time.

If you’d like to see real depression go to an emo kids MySpace page from 2003.
The CDC is now involved in poll rigging on health issues huh? Never took you for someone who believed the CDC outright lies.

The CDC is now involved in poll rigging on health issues huh? Never took you for someone who believed the CDC outright lies.

I didn’t say they rigged it. I just said it was a poor poll that evidently has highly inaccurate historical data. There’s no way that the millennials weren’t significantly more emotionally distraught than the kids of previous generations simply based on the culture of that time. You don’t hear kids singing about killing themselves these days like you used to.

I don’t think the poll is malicious. I just think that it probably leads to some incorrect assumptions about the true nature of our society’s kids.

I didn’t say they rigged it. I just said it was a poor poll that evidently has highly inaccurate historical data. There’s no way that the millennials weren’t significantly more emotionally distraught than the kids of previous generations simply based on the culture of that time. You don’t hear kids singing about killing themselves these days like you used to.

I don’t think the poll is malicious. I just think that it probably leads to some incorrect assumptions about the true nature of our society’s kids.
You accused the CDC of Shennanigans in their polling results. Saying you didn’t accuse them of “rigging” the poll is merely semantics You flat out called the CDC report dishonest :)

You accused the CDC of Shennanigans in their polling results. Saying you didn’t accuse them of “rigging” the poll is merely semantics You flat out called the CDC report dishonest :)
My meaning was it was inaccurate, not rigged. There’s a difference in the motive.

Reactions: watu05

Your emo culture used to be the goth culture of the late 70's, 80's and early 90's. Just because it wasn't in your time doesn't mean it never existed before. The goth culture was singing about suicide frequently. Talk to Morrissey.

Reactions: noble cane
My meaning was it was inaccurate, not rigged. There’s a difference in the motive.
Agree. However “shenanigans” implies intentionally inaccurate or dishonest.

How was the winter up in Wyoming? You guys get a lot of snore like they did out west? Figure it’s ok to ask in a climate change thread..:right.

Agree. However “shenanigans” implies intentionally inaccurate or dishonest.

How was the winter up in Wyoming? You guys get a lot of snore like they did out west? Figure it’s ok to ask in a climate change thread..:right.
Although the "underhanded trick" sense of the word is oldest, the most common senses in use now are "tricky or questionable practices" (as in "political shenanigans") and "high-spirited behavior" (as in "youthful shenanigans")

I tend to use it in the second / third example from the MW dictionary, didn't even know it had the connotation of the first until I just looked it up. The more you know!

We had a good amount of snow. More so the weather remained colder longer than it typically does. It has been really rainy this year. Lots of moisture. Had to cut back on my grass watering... but driving through the Western US last week I saw that West of the Rockies they've have very little moisture at all.

It can certainly be hard to keep perspective on the world's climate when just had your coldest Fourth of July in living memory despite other areas setting new records for warm temps.

Last edited:
Although the "underhanded trick" sense of the word is oldest, the most common senses in use now are "tricky or questionable practices" (as in "political shenanigans") and "high-spirited behavior" (as in "youthful shenanigans")

I tend to use it in the second / third example from the MW dictionary, didn't even know it had the connotation of the first until I just looked it up. The more you know!

We had a good amount of snow. More so the weather remained colder longer than it typically does. It has been really rainy this year. Lots of moisture. Had to cut back on my grass watering... but driving through the Western US last week I saw that West of the Rockies they've have very little moisture at all.

It can certainly be hard to keep perspective on the world's climate when just had your coldest Fourth of July in living memory despite other areas setting new records for warm temps.
We’ve been very fortunate of late in Tulsa with the heat. Currently on a nice yearly trend of milder than normal summers as it relates to above 100 degree temperatures. Hoping it continues.

Your emo culture used to be the goth culture of the late 70's, 80's and early 90's. Just because it wasn't in your time doesn't mean it never existed before. The goth culture was singing about suicide frequently. Talk to Morrissey.
BOC... had a hit song... with cowbell.

The Coddling of the American Mind by Jonathan Haidt and Greg Lukianoff has some pretty startling statistics on teen and adult mental health in the last decade+. Their hypothesis iirc was that it’s due to the rise of social media and parents/society plowing through adversity their child needs to face at critical developmental stages.

Agreed. Keeping one's perspective while we experience more extreme weather in the form of droughts and massive rain/snow drops, more frequent and more extreme storms, more frequent and more devastating forest fires with concomitant smoke and poor air quality is a challenge. Meanwhile in the back ground glaciers keep melting, water sources are drying up, and sea levels rising. A train wreck in very slow motion.

Reactions: astonmartin708
The warmer wetter weather seems to be doing wonders for global grain production as it hit an all time high. Let’s hope the trend continues

July 4th was the the hottest day ever recorded. Earth's global average temperature of more than 17 degrees Celsius (62.6 Fahrenheit) may well have been the hottest it has gotten in the last 125,000 years.

The 103 degree July 4 here in El Paso was tough because typically the temps are so mild here

Last edited:
on a day in Tucson when the temp was 109, we set a record low for that day
D'oh!!! Love your ignorant statements. It's GLOBAL warming, not local warming. Besides the fact that they don't use that term any longer because of idiots like you.

Citizen Insurance in Florida is going to blow up after the next hurricane, all the major carriers are getting the heck out of the promised land. Farmers announced they're getting out this week, all policies, home, commercial and auto.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT