ADVERTISEMENT

Charles Clay

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
The Dolphins used the "transition tag" on Charles today guaranteeing that Big Play Clay will make at least $7.701M next year. While not the "franchise" tag, Clay will still be able to sign an offer sheet with any team and the Dolphins will still have the opportunity to match the offer, BUT you know that any offer will have to be greater than $7.701M.

Way to go Charles!

Nice!

Good for him. He was/is such a dynamic player. Man that era was fun to watch.

He hasn't been on Xbox live in awhile. Must have more important things to do lately.

I remember when Clay and some other football players came to our school and read to the kids...

He said, reading to the little ones was more intimidating than any defensive player he face all season...

He did a great job, as did all the players...

After completing their book reading, they were swamped with knee hugs...

It was fun watching those big burley football players melt like hot wax in the arms of elementary kids...

Everyone left with a big smile!!!

He was tagged as a "Transition" player. It's almost like getting tagged as a Franchise player except if Charles wanted to he could still seek a FA deal with another team that Miami could then match. The minimum he would make next year is the $7.07M. As I understand, he is not allowed to sign the contract until tomorrow. MIA would, I believe get a compensatory pick should Clay sign elsewhere and MIA not match...

The FRANCHISE tag does not allow the player to seek a higher deal out whereas the TRANSITION tag does. Not sure if both use the same salary figure.

Originally posted by TU_BLA:
He was tagged as a "Transition" player. It's almost like getting tagged as a Franchise player except if Charles wanted to he could still seek a FA deal with another team that Miami could then match. The minimum he would make next year is the $7.07M. As I understand, he is not allowed to sign the contract until tomorrow. MIA would, I believe get a compensatory pick should Clay sign elsewhere and MIA not match...

The FRANCHISE tag does not allow the player to seek a higher deal out whereas the TRANSITION tag does. Not sure if both use the same salary figure.
Not exactly. There is a exclusive and non exclusive franchise tag. The exclusive tag means you cannot negotiate with anyone else and have to sign with the team that placed the tag on you. The non exclusive tag allows you to negotiate with another team. If that team offers you a higher amount then what the franchise rules mandate the team that franchised you can either match that deal or let you sign elsewhere and get compensated 2 first round picks. Then after that falls the transition tag which Charles had placed on him. Compensation for signing away a transition player is a first and second round pick I think but I'm not completely sure on that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT