ADVERTISEMENT

Channel 2

A big problem, in my opinion, is for basketball games. Where do people park who aren't in the Hurricane Club? When it is cold, parking a long way away isn't fun for fans. It is hard enough getting people to the TU game. And if I'm not mistaken, didn't Haith and Gragg mention this as a problem?

Yeah it was mentioned. The parking situation has been brought to the athletic department on many occasions. They even looked into a parking garage at the back of campus (north of the law school) and east of campus. However both ideas were met with backlash from the neighborhoods (the same reason why we don’t shoot fireworks after touchdowns and why the hurricane siren is much quieter now).

When graham was here they picked people up at the fair grounds and shuttled them over. Not a bad idea, but I’m assuming it was under-utilized or we’d still be doing it.

Does anyone know what they are going to do with that patch of land on the East side of the campus in between parking lots across from Lorton Performance Center?

Also, on the subject of parking garages, I remember parking in a parking garage in our despised school in Dallas for a football game at Ford.

Can the neighborhood really prevent TU from building a building like a parking garage? Do they have to approve every building?

Can the neighborhood really prevent TU from building a building like a parking garage? Do they have to approve every building?

No....but I'm assuming it would involve a zoning change which the neighbors can of course oppose.

I don't quite understand the neighborhood getting upset about it. Instead, they want people parking in front of their house for football & basketball games? It is only used once per week of any consequence during football season. And twice per week of any consequence during basketball season. It's not like a QT or bank that gets Traffic 24/7 or during the business day. Neighborhoods just bitch because they can, only because it's something new and different. They don't really think about the issue at hand. The traffic and parking is already a disruption to the neighborhoods. The garage would actually lessen that.

Strangely enough students also often get parking tickets at OU. People being willing to risk tickets so they don’t have to walk across campus in the summer is just reality
A big problem, in my opinion, is for basketball games. Where do people park who aren't in the Hurricane Club? When it is cold, parking a long way away isn't fun for fans. It is hard enough getting people to the TU game. And if I'm not mistaken, didn't Haith and Gragg mention this as a problem?
They need to open the big lot along Harvard for paid parking and push as many donors to the Reynolds lot and the Mayo Village lot. I know enough about campus, I know I can park in a space, close enough to the arena and not get a ticket

Does anyone know what they are going to do with that patch of land on the East side of the campus in between parking lots across from Lorton Performance Center?

Also, on the subject of parking garages, I remember parking in a parking garage in our despised school in Dallas for a football game at Ford.

Parking garages are among the highest construction costs per square foot in the business. The one in Dallas is used for more than just athletics. Everyone on here is proposing building one at an extreme cost so people can park closer for 6 events in the Fall and maybe 12 in the Winter/Spring. Unless you're proposing a $10 per event fee, which would just give people something else to bitch about, it is not an effective use of the space or money

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
I walked to the football games from the Campbell hotel which is a nice walk down 11th street. I’m not sure why existing parking lots couldn’t be effectively used with shuttles.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I walked to the football games from the Campbell hotel which is a nice walk down 11th street. I’m not sure why existing parking lots couldn’t be effectively used with shuttles.
That involves people thinking as a group and giving up the feeling, even for ten minutes, that they are in individualized control of their freedom of movement. Americans refuse to change that thinking, even when it can be demonstrated that it is in their best interests.

Unless you can figure a way to build 12,000 parking spaces that are all equally 12 steps from the new covered entrance and the newly sunshaded seats, you are going to have people who will complain.

I look forward to the day people get on here complaining about the distance, safety, stairs and elevator wait times in our new athletics parking garage. Complaints which are common to schools that have them.

Last edited:
Reactions: TUBballJunkie
That involves people thinking as a group and giving up the feeling, even for ten minutes, that they are in individualized control of their freedom of movement. Americans refuse to change that thinking, even when it can be demonstrated that it is in their best interests.

Unless you can figure a way to build 12,000 parking spaces that are all equally 12 steps from the new covered entrance and the newly sunshaded seats, you are going to have people who will complain.

I look forward to the day people get on here complaining about the distance, safety, stairs and elevator wait times in our new athletics parking garage. Complaints which are common to schools that have them.
Or the number of break ins. That is also a problem in parking garages.

Not typically for garages that are used infrequently.

We could learn from the Europeans and put one underground.
There's a legit reason why most homes in this area do not have basements...said reason would be the same why an underground parking facility would be cost prohibitive for TU

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Not typically for garages that are used infrequently.

We could learn from the Europeans and put one underground.
I would think that knowing the schedule of games and when the garages would be most used would be an invitation to individuals who specialize in that activity.

There's a legit reason why most homes in this area do not have basements...said reason would be the same why an underground parking facility would be cost prohibitive for TU
Kep's got a basement. The library has a huge one. Reynold center is built significantly below ground. Sigma Chi has one too, as does Lambda Chi, and Pike, the law library, John Maybee, TUPAC, and I'm fairly sure the new dorms have a basement as well.

Soil moisture and high water table make building basements in most parts of Oklahoma problematic. It can be done but they come with inherent issues. If land area is not an issue basements don't make sense in most cases.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Kep's got a basement. The library has a huge one. Reynold center is built significantly below ground. Sigma Chi has one too, as does Lambda Chi, and Pike, the law library, John Maybee, TUPAC, and I'm fairly sure the new dorms have a basement as well.
You are not paying attention to the most important words in TU_BLA's post, Cost Prohibitive. There is no debate on that.

I agree with you guys. It would obviously cost more than a traditional parking garage, which we don't even seem to be able to afford in the first place. I was just kinda spitballing as a joke. I don't expect TU to do anything on that in the forseeable future. Honestly, I'd rather they build another dorm so they can increase enrollment and (hopefully) drop their tuition pricetag a bit.

If they really wanted to tackle the parking issue and surface expansion wasn't viable due to surrounding neighborhoods, then underground might be an avenue to explore. TU doesn't have a problem building basements. Right now, they seem to have a problem expanding the surface footprint period. (If they can't use the areas to the East and West of campus)

I have heard that the library basement has flooded on several occasions and that an underground stream flows below much of campus. The person at TU that told me this also said that if they dug up 3rd street there would be a large creek flowing to downtown Tulsa into the Arkansas river.
Crazy idea - take the parking lot behind Maybe Gym area and build 50 ft high IPF with 2 level parking on top. This would double the Parking in that spot. The height may not be sufficient for punting and kicking but you get both needed items in one very prominent location. Traffic could enter from the access road between there and LaFortune.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I have heard that the library basement has flooded on several occasions and that an underground stream flows below much of campus. The person at TU that told me this also said that if they dug up 3rd street there would be a large creek flowing to downtown Tulsa into the Arkansas river.
Crazy idea - take the parking lot behind Maybe Gym area and build 50 ft high IPF with 2 level parking on top. This would double the Parking in that spot. The height may not be sufficient for punting and kicking but you get both needed items in one very prominent location. Traffic could enter from the access road between there and LaFortune.

Much less of a problem with a parking area flooding than a library; though I've never seen any leaking areas in any of the basement areas I've been in on campus. To be fair, the library seems like it is several more stories down than any of the other basements around. Even in high water table areas you can build a basement, you just have to design it appropriately. It would certainly be easier to put one above ground we just don't seem to have many places to put any buildings other than the Maybe Gym area or the strip of land to the East of Harvard, unless we're willing to do away with existing parking spaces or existing green spaces. I'd be down with them putting a 2 or 3 story garage where the tennis courts are on Harwell field as long as they left the field intact. It could be accessed by the little street next to Pike.

Soon we'll be discussing putting in a new septic system somewhere on campus... so we have somewhere to put all my ridiculous comments!

Reactions: HuffyCane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT