ADVERTISEMENT

Channel 2

goldenhurricane2

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 9, 2006
Hope none of you witnessed the hatchet job channel 2 ran on TU tonight. I will never watch channel 2 again after that bs.

Between the Tulsa world, channel 2, and other local media - we don’t need enemies when we have “friends” like this.

That story is freaking hilarious. Do they even know how many students have tickets forgiven by Security. Seriously, if you take the time to walk the ticket down and speak with Joe Timmons, he usually tosses it. From the tease they put out, they made it sound like there was a serious discipline issue going on at TU and TU was covering it up. Has channel 2 paid attention to what OU, Baylor, Penn State, and Michigan State have been covering up? Good grief

Kelly Hines tweeted out she wished she could get those 5 minutes back. The softball player in the clip looked like she was ready to laugh that they were actually doing a story on this.

If I were in a leadership role at kjrh, I’d be kind of pissed that a “journalist” wasted that much time and and effort on something like that. Surely there are more pressing matters to report on outside of tickets written at TU.

Unfortunately, from what I understand, this may not be the last jab they take at TU.

If I were in a leadership role at kjrh, I’d be kind of pissed that a “journalist” wasted that much time and and effort on something like that. Surely there are more pressing matters to report on outside of tickets written at TU.

Unfortunately, from what I understand, this may not be the last jab they take at TU.
Have we done something to get the local media riled at us or are they all hiring "Peters(ons)" as news directors.

Have we done something to get the local media riled at us or are they all hiring "Peters(ons)" as news directors.

I’m not sure what their problem is... when Julie Chen was there, they were super involved with TU and made a huge effort to cover us. They’ve done a 180° on that front.

While channel 2 deserves the blame for this crap, that asshat campo TU fired is the root of the issue. His butthurt led to that piece last night.

Nothing earth shattering here....athletes (specifically football players) get preferential treatment. Who didn't know this? If this is the worst example of bias toward players then TU is far ahead of most D1 schools.

What a terrible waste of time and way over dramatized. I have a child starting at TU in the fall and we were worried that some serious criminal activity was being covered up and would she even be safe on campus.

Parking tickets? Really?

TULSA, Okla. -- An explosive investigation into allegations that some University of Tulsa athletes are receiving preferential treatment.
https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/allegations-of-preferential-treatment-at-tu

I wonder if they started to do an investigation and then this is all they came up with... surely they didn't set out to do a story about some student parking tickets. I mean, the campus paper running such a story - sure. Totally get it that other students would be irked at the perception that athletes get everything.

But as an actual news story? With a hyperbolic headline and 5 minutes of air time? It's just confusing.

nothingburger. Somewhat embarrassing in light of recent on-off campus incidents in the State schools. Probably just trying to gin up viewership for a scandal. I suspect most of the stupid Tulsa World articles are written with the same intent. It's tough to have good local TV and print media, with the competition form the Internets and Serious Cat.

Wonder what girlfriend a football player stole from the anonymous former security employee.

Wow. Apparently my son wasn't on the right list. He was on the football team and got his fair share of parking tickets. My favorites were the times that he was still on campus for FB activities and most of the students and staff were on a break and the campus was deserted and he still got tickets for parking in the wrong lot. He paid them or got them waived as described above. He never had enough to get towed. All students (athletes and non) are notified when they are approaching the ticket limit that might get them towed. Everyone on campus knows how the system works. Glad to see such hard hitting journalism by channel 2.

People get uptight over nothing these days. 30 years ago, you'd steal a cushman and the campo would laugh. People drove home in full size automobiles down the sidewalks from JRs to avoid getting DUIs on 11th St. when TPD would stake out the QT. There were football players who would order pizza to rob the delivery guy at gunpoint when they needed extra spending money at the end of the semester, but they didnt need the gun, because the delivery knew they were going to rob him and didnt care because they were football players. Somebody backed a Uhaul up to the computer lab at 2am, campo wrote them a ticket for parking on the sidewalk while the thieves were inside loading up all the computer equipment and they got away clean. In recent events, a frat heisted several thousand dollars worth of catered food and alcohol from a trustee event and used it for an off campus party. If you want to do a story on TU campo, at least give me something with a little color. It aint hard.

Reactions: Chris Harmon
Ex-security guard has been forced to go into a witness protection program, Ch.2 really stirred up the hive with this hard hitting piece on athletic entitlement. Boy howdy.

Reactions: URedskin54
Ex-security guard has been forced to go into a witness protection program, Ch.2 really stirred up the hive with this hard hitting piece on athletic entitlement. Boy howdy.

I bet some of the players even drink alcohol:scream:

People get uptight over nothing these days. 30 years ago, you'd steal a cushman and the campo would laugh. People drove home in full size automobiles down the sidewalks from JRs to avoid getting DUIs on 11th St.
GUILTY...at least on the Cushman part. And I did witness some drunken frat boy driving on the sidewalks

This illustrates the turmoil and poor quality of media within the Scripps corporation these days. Shareholder revolts, what to do with a failing radio division, it all contributes to a sense of a company and station that has lost its way. Perhaps they’ll follow iHeartRadio and Cumulus into bankruptcy.

My son is a football player, and his two roommates are starters on the team also, they been ticketed and all three of them has had their car towed before in the past year.

My son is a football player, and his two roommates are starters on the team also, they been ticketed and all three of them has had their car towed before in the past year.
Im sure Reggie is a great kid. Still, there should be a pinned thread in this forum for the parents of players to vent about all the frustrating things their kids do.

We watch them on TV. They balance so much in a limited time. They are asked to grow up quickly. It’s so easy to think of them as adults. But in the end, they are still 19 and don’t think about their car getting towed and want Dad to solve it. It must be infuriating at times, even though they could be making so many other mistakes.

Thanks for the sacrifices you and your child have made over the years that has led to him being able to benefit the University.

Reactions: regrob17
Im sure Reggie is a great kid. Still, there should be a pinned thread in this forum for the parents of players to vent about all the frustrating things their kids do.

We watch them on TV. They balance so much in a limited time. They are asked to grow up quickly. It’s so easy to think of them as adults. But in the end, they are still 19 and don’t think about their car getting towed and want Dad to solve it. It must be infuriating at times, even though they could be making so many other mistakes.

Thanks for the sacrifices you and your child have made over the years that has led to him being able to benefit the University.

My son RegRob 2, and McKinley Whitfield and Manny Bunch are good kids, they don't get into any trouble. And my son have to pay his on fines an tow fees out of his own money, that's why it hasn't been told lately. I don't have much to complain about he's A lot less talkative at school but when comes home he tells me A lot of info.

My son RegRob 2, and McKinley Whitfield and Manny Bunch are good kids, they don't get into any trouble. And my son have to pay his on fines an tow fees out of his own money, that's why it hasn't been told lately. I don't have much to complain about he's A lot less talkative at school but when comes home he tells me A lot of info.

Just curious. Is it difficult for them to find parking space in authorized lots? What are they doing wrong to get so many tickets?

Parking at TU is a mess. Too many random things going on during the day. And people don’t want to walk. They could jettison some events and the university school, but no one wants to do that.

Is it really to far across campus to just walk?
In some situations for some people, yes. The conditioning days for the soccer teams are brutal. While it is actually good for them to walk a half mile or so to stretch out, the pain and soreness can be considerable. In the case of the football team, you’ve got guys with bad knees or just sore and beat up from playing. Mix in somebody who doesn’t manage their time well and risks being late to class, and you are asking a 20 year old kid to walk half a mile in 95 degree heat or 50 degree rain three, four or five times a day. Run the 66 half marathon, wait a day, then Park your car at the BOK and walk to Blue Dome and back at 8am, 12pm and 4pm. That’s about the distance from BAH to the academic suites at the stadium. See how it feels and more importantly, see how you smell. And that’s a big deal when you are 20 years old.

The buses help, but not every college kid has the planning and patience needed to do that regularly. You don’t like waiting on your luggage at the airport. Imagine doing a similar wait two or three times a day for four years while sometimes wondering if it is going to start hailing again. Then there’s the stigma of actually taking the bus.

It isn’t that far to just walk every once in awhile, but the average American thinks walking ten parking spaces from the entrance of Walmart is too far once a week. It’s a little unreasonable to ask the kids to give up the programmed car culture of their rural and suburban upbringings and just start walking 4 to 5 miles a day in Oklahoma’s unpredictable and often unbearable weather. They are gonna drive and they are gonna park. No amount of fancy pants green culture liberal arts ultra left wing thinking and planning will never be able to design around that fact. No matter how many streets they block off.

Ok. You want me to afford $500K in school fees and costs over four years. I live in the North Dallas suburbs and I bought my spoiled kid a car at age 16 so my wife wouldn’t have to ferry her around all day. Now She drives everywhere. She’s a little borderline obese but she studies everyday and makes great grades so I can’t complain about weight and her lack of exercise. You want me to tell her to give up the car and walk everywhere in the heat and rain for four years using your fraudulent rationale that it will reduce her carbon footprint ? Got it. Then they wonder why they can’t market the midsize school in a small school package idea to every kid driving a BMW around the Parkway school districts. And they wonder why Johnny from Jenks wants his car on campus when mom and Dad want him to drive home for family events regularly.

TU did the right thing by transitioning to a residential campus. Some of it is/was poorly planned. Some of those bad decisions were driven by marketing and ideology and not reality. UCF does few things well, but they made their commuter campus a residential campus and actually expanded parking and convenience. Reducing the number of seats in Skelly did not raise attendance. Reducing the availability of parking also did not lower the amount of driving.

Last edited:
Nobody wants to walk a half mile in September and if you have class on the north end of campus and don't show up before 830 that's what you'll have to do. Everyone gets parking tickets. Football players really don't have much chance to find a spot because of their schedule

Why not invest in a couple of strategically placed parking garages at a current lot location? And increase the permit rate to make up the cost?

Even moving to 2 or 3 levels could add a lot of spots considering the modest number of students.

Why not invest in a couple of strategically placed parking garages at a current lot location? And increase the permit rate to make up the cost?

Even moving to 2 or 3 levels could add a lot of spots considering the modest number of students.
That makes a lot of sense to most of the faculty when they are walking in the rain, but it is tough sell when you are in the faculty lounge and everyone is sitting in a circle with flowers and peace signs in their hair and they have to talk about giving up raises and discretionary spending like yearly travel to the annual gender fluid non-binary poetry slam. Also, no donor wants to donate to put their name on a parking garage. And parking is an amenity that does not sell well in admissions recruiting, but gives them all regret when they show up and it isnt there, so it isnt a priority for admissions and retention isnt the issue it was 5 years ago, so there isnt much incentive to care when there are other priorities to spend on and cash is low.

I've long thought a parking facility across Harvard immediately North of 11th with a bridge (or needed in any event, a crosswalk with police guards before and after games) to walk over to the lot next to the RenCen makes a lot of sense. It likely would be less inconvenience to neighbors than street parking. I don't know if the zoning would permit it, but it's "off campus" only in the sense that it is not in the main square, but the TU bookstore is also not in the main square any longer.

I've long thought a parking facility across Harvard immediately North of 11th with a bridge (or needed in any event, a crosswalk with police guards before and after games) to walk over to the lot next to the RenCen makes a lot of sense. It likely would be less inconvenience to neighbors than street parking. I don't know if the zoning would permit it, but it's "off campus" only in the sense that it is not in the main square, but the TU bookstore is also not in the main square any longer.
That is convenience consideration, not a load consideration. Neither football or basketball justify a parking garage with the crowds so small. If you gave Coach Monty or Coach Haith a couple of nice glasses of whiskey, then asked them where a parking garage for fans is on their list of priorities to propel their teams into the post-season, the honest answer is that it isnt on the list. And building what you are talking about would be building for athletics only. The sad cold truth is that there will never be a parking facility for TU athletics until pedestrian safety becomes a tangible problem. Its called tombstone planning. If you want a sky bridge over 11th street to a parking area, it is going to take some uninsured drunk running over and killing two twin 10 year old girls in replica TU cheerleader uniforms with Channel 8 giving live coverage from the scene after the game in the middle of 11th st. Its sad and cold, but it is that type of reality that will be needed to justify that type of expense. But it would be a great amenity to have, wouldn't it?

On the other hand, there should have been underground and street level parking attached to many of the multi-use buildings built in the last 10 years, but we had to put some of those buildings up like a carney ride. It takes money to make two floors of parking underground, two floors above ground, and then build your building on top of that. TU built a dorm, expanded services at the "Union" and built another classroom, while cutting available parking. Parking is an issue in that pressure area 240 days a year, not 6 or 20 like athletics or maybe 30 in the case of the performing arts center. They chose a low cost solution of pointing users to under utilized parking near the law school and elsewhere. The trouble is, that ain't happening in a rain storm, or when you are running a two minute errand to drop off an assignment, etc. The administration knows it, so they are as kind as they can be, and only hit the habitual offenders, which is good. But it sure aint 10 o'clock news.

Last edited:
For someone who worked and lived on campus, the furthest point on campus (Delaware and 3rd) to the opposite corner of campus (Harvard and 11th) was no more than a 5-7 minute walk at a decent pace). The shuttle runs at a regular interval and stops at most major points. My guess is parking close to the cafeteria and either parking in the lot directly behind Twin(now Fisher West) or in the Mayo Village lots to get there OR they park in the faculty staff lots near Lorton Hall or behind the new admin hall. A frequent issue when I worked there were people parking in HDCP spaces and in red fire lanes. Matter of fact, Security came to me and asked for help clearing the fire lane behind Twin and I said he needed to talk to Coach Kragthorpe. Kragthorpe's response was "If they're parked illegally tow them", and he said it loud enough that everyone in the cafeteria could hear him. About 15 guys hurriedly got up and went in that direction.

The parking problem isn't about enough spots on campus. It's about everyone wanting to park at the front door of wherever they are going and college campuses aren't designed that way.

Reactions: 4tu2
The furthest walk across campus at TU isn’t any further than the average walk from the dorms or Greek houses to class at either OU or OSU. The complaining about walking distance at TU is nonsense in most cases imo. A 20 year old should have no issues with a ten minute walk. Same argument applies to attending football or basketball games at TU.

A big problem, in my opinion, is for basketball games. Where do people park who aren't in the Hurricane Club? When it is cold, parking a long way away isn't fun for fans. It is hard enough getting people to the TU game. And if I'm not mistaken, didn't Haith and Gragg mention this as a problem?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT