ADVERTISEMENT

Chad to SMU

Originally posted by aTUfan:
If he wins, he' be there 2 years tops; see Gus Mulzahn
Fair enough, two years of stellar recruiting, what is there to lose?

Originally posted by eastcane:
If he wins, he' be there 2 years tops; see Gus Mulzahn
Fair enough, two years of stellar recruiting, what is there to lose?
The two years is no big deal. I say get the best you can and if he leaves at 2 years so be it, What has it gotten us when we go after a guy that might stay. It is the same in basketball, football, or ice hockey. Get the best you can for the money you can afford, build a winner and deal with him leaving when you have to. That part is a no brainer. Now if really 3 mil/year, that is a big deal. Wow

I just hope we have an opportunity(fire bill) to get a new coach this year.. another year of this will put us so far behind.

I just hope we have an opportunity(fire bill) to get a new coach this year.. another year of this will put us so far behind.
You can find some solace that if Chad turns SMU on a dime that once Bill is gone our next coach could possibly do the same.

I think two years is wrong. No coach can turn the SMU team into a winner in two years. He starts with nothing or at least with the worst team in football. With luck four years is very possible. But the bar is high. You have to beat 3 million dollars a year. A school that can do that is not going to be impressed with improvement and a trip to the GoDaddy Bowl or the like.

Chad is an outstanding recruiter and coach, but two years is mighty quick to turn SMU into a power.

SMU might not become an overnight power house...

But you can bet your last dollar that if we keep BB that SMU will stomp our butts into the turf!!!

SMU is a sleeping giant that once filled Texas Stadium... Look at what LB has done for their basketball programs attendance and standing in Dallas. If Morris can awaken the FB program, they won't be in the AAC for very long.

SMU filled Texas Stadium when it was stone cold cheating with the best of them. What Larry Brown is doing in basketball is different. It's a lot easier to turn a hoops program into top 25 material than it is for a smaller D1 football program. I think Chad would do fine at SMU and he has ties in the Greater DFW area, so recruiting would come naturally for him. But if he did turn it around (even just getting them into a bowl game by year two), he's probably hired away by a lower level ACC, SEC or Big 12 school.

cb

Have we learned nothing??

A coach the big dogs want to hire away > a coach no one else wants

There is no happy medium for a school like ours.

I'm not saying SMU shouldn't hire Chad Morris. I think it's a brilliant move. I'm just saying that SMU will be put in the same position we've faced in football and basketball over the years. And you don't always get the next hire (or the next one or the one after that) right. It's a harsh reality that smaller schools like TU and SMU are always going to have to deal with.

cb

I agree Chad will do it. I just think three or four years is much more likely than two. The kind of players he will need are pretty much gone for this class. He can afford it, though, a three million a year.

I dunno.

I think a creative coaching staff can have SMU bowling in this league within 2 years.

I hear you. My point is that at $3 million a year playing Bowling Green in the Dollar General Bowl won't get you a raise and a step up. Bowls aren't what that used to be. More than half the teams get a bowl. Todd Graham had a year at Rice and four here with three bowl wins before Pittsburg before Arizona State. Morris spent four years as an OC to get to SMU. I like him myself, but the higher branches are harder to climb.

That said, I would be glad if he did it quickly but rather than disagree more, I'll just wait two years and see.
smile.r191677.gif

2,3, or 4 it does not matter. The bottom line for a school like SMU or TU, get the best coach you can and when he leaves find another. It is the system we need at TU to be successful. Only other option is to get a coach that has been there and done that and is ready to pack it in after one final time

Originally posted by cbonham:
SMU filled Texas Stadium when it was stone cold cheating with the best of them. What Larry Brown is doing in basketball is different. It's a lot easier to turn a hoops program into top 25 material than it is for a smaller D1 football program. I think Chad would do fine at SMU and he has ties in the Greater DFW area, so recruiting would come naturally for him. But if he did turn it around (even just getting them into a bowl game by year two), he's probably hired away by a lower level ACC, SEC or Big 12 school.

cb
SMU may have been cheating... Still doesn't change the fact that in a period that the Cowboys were dominating the Dallas sports scene, a college team was able to draw a full house in the same stadium...

that hunger to see and be seen at an event still exists in Dallas and if chad builds a winner then packing their crackerjack stadium will be no problem. And paying him p5 money will be no problem either.

If Blankenship's firing occurs tonight, Gragg may have a chance to steal Morris away from smu.

nm
This post was edited on 11/28 7:41 PM by TU 1978

If the figure for salary for Morris I have seen reported is accurate, $3 million, I doubt TU even tries to hire him. I don't blame them that's simply too much for a coach with no previous HC experience, IMO. Don't get me wrong I want us to get the best coach we can but I don't want us to, and I doubt they would, throw money at a coach. From what I can quickly find $3 million would put him in top 15 HC salaries.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Novocaine:
Tickets were also around $20 a seat and few games were on TV.
Based on inflation alone those 20 dollar tix are $47.50 today... So pretty much a wash.. Expensive then.. Expensive now.

teams regularly sell out games in today's tv market.. So tv or not they could sell out with the right product..

put a winner on the field with some stud players in the Dallas market and watch the hoi Polloi of big D come out...

Originally posted by JesseTU:
This is why we should have fired BB months ago.
TU was never going to hire Chad Morris at that price tag.

It will be interesting to see what kind of staff Morris is capable of assembling, by college football coaching standards he is still a pup.

When he interviewed for the TU HC job after the 2010 season, the plan he presented to Bubba was a staff loaded with High School coaches, which is absolutely absurd. I still question if he has been at the college level long enough to have developed enough experienced college coaching relationships. The most trusted relationships he has likely developed in his college coaching career would be at one place, Clemson.

It's one thing to have 1 or 2 very successful High School coaches on your staff, anythig more is risky.

TX
This post was edited on 11/28 8:53 PM by texcane1982

TUMe, Kragthorpe took a team that went 2-22 the previous 2 seasons to 8-4 and a bowl game his first season. Granted he followed that up with 4-8 and then we went to bowl games his next 2 years. It can be done in 2 yrs with the right coach and some good hard recruiting. Plus there's a chance that the personnel there is already capable of Morris' system as Jones' Run & Shoot is not all that different. If he can bring in the right QB from JUCO or there is already one on campus good enough, they could win some next year. Which is why we have to move NOW!

It has been reported SMU is offering increased academic support, which is something TU needs to do as well.

TX

Originally posted by TU_BLA:
TUMe, Kragthorpe took a team that went 2-22 the previous 2 seasons to 8-4 and a bowl game his first season. Granted he followed that up with 4-8 and then we went to bowl games his next 2 years. It can be done in 2 yrs with the right coach and some good hard recruiting. Plus there's a chance that the personnel there is already capable of Morris' system as Jones' Run & Shoot is not all that different. If he can bring in the right QB from JUCO or there is already one on campus good enough, they could win some next year. Which is why we have to move NOW!

Yes, Kragthorpe went to the Humanitarian Bowl and lost. I was thrilled by the turnaround. Tulsa football was back. But nobody offered him a job at more than $3 million dollars. That's my point. All bowls are not equal. All jobs are not equal. Tulsa would offer Morris the job tonight, but not the $3 Million dollars. After 3 bowls in four years Krag went to Louisville. That's a worthy job and Petrino now makes they say 3.5 million. If Morris is successful he won't leave for Iowa State or Colorado at $3.5 million and the job he would leave for are going to want more HC experience. Making a bowl today is the same as being in the upper 50% of your graduating class.

Originally posted by t-townpod:
2,3, or 4 it does not matter. The bottom line for a school like SMU or TU, get the best coach you can and when he leaves find another. It is the system we need at TU to be successful. ' Only other option is to get a coach that has been there and done that and is ready to pack it in after one final time'
Hmmm, Butch Davis, Around the block once.

he might not want to jusp too quiclky, with the coaching changes to come this year. Kansas, Mich, Fla, ... Fla and Mich will setoff a domino affect. He might be able to get a better job if he waits.

I don't think Michigan's hire is going to start a domino effect. They will be serious about Harbaugh and I think they will have a good chance to la

Originally posted by TU_BLA:
I don't think Michigan's hire is going to start a domino effect. They will be serious about Harbaugh and I think they will have a good chance to la

That's true....... unless the 49ers elect to dip back into the college ranks to repalce Harbaugh, such as Oregon's Mark Helfrich. It worked well for the 49ers last time, would not suprise me if they did so again.

TX

Originally posted by noble cane:

cb
SMU may have been cheating... Still doesn't change the fact that in a period that the Cowboys were dominating the Dallas sports scene, a college team was able to draw a full house in the same stadium...

that hunger to see and be seen at an event still exists in Dallas and if chad builds a winner then packing their crackerjack stadium will be no problem. And paying him p5 money will be no problem either.
Are you sure about filling Texas Stadium? I went to a SWC Championship game SMU vs Arkansas and it wasn't full maybe 40,000.

GO TU!!!!

Originally posted by Tu Geo:

cb

Are you sure about filling Texas Stadium? I went to a SWC Championship game SMU vs Arkansas and it wasn't full maybe 40,000.

GO TU!!!!
Geo, How many of those 40,000 fans were SMU fans & how many were Arkansas fans ? I had always heard that SMU's SWC attendance was bolstered tremendously by their SWC rivals, especially when they played home games against UT, A & M, & Arkansas.

Originally posted by Tulsafanzz:

Originally posted by Tu Geo:

cb

GO TU!!!!
Geo, How many of those 40,000 fans were SMU fans & how many were Arkansas fans ? I had always heard that SMU's SWC attendance was bolstered tremendously by their SWC rivals, especially when they played home games against UT, A & M, & Arkansas.
Exactly, probably half of the crowd were Arkansas fans.

We have posters that can't remember that we competed with Houston and SMU for the last ten years and easily did better as a program in most sports. Need to ease up with the little ole Tulsa crap.

We just have a bad football coach, a lot of programs do you get rid of the coach and try again.

Now that we know the facts Tulsa could easily compete for Morris at $2 million a year.

GO TU!!!

This post was edited on 12/1 2:30 PM by Tu Geo

TU waited too long. Yes, TU could have been in the ballpark for Morris at $1.7M per but we still haven't fired BB yet. SMU has been searching for their coach since September. TU has been languishing and falling further behind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT