ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone explain to me...

astonmartin708

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Apr 17, 2012
...The economics of childcare companies.

I don’t even have kids but I’m hearing anywhere from 800-2000+ Per month, depending on the area of the country you are in. I know that the people actually watching the kids are being paid peanuts. Where does the money go???

$800 per kid per month... that’s $9600 / year per child. Assuming that each person watching the children can watch hopefully at least 4 kids in a monitored, controlled environment.... that’s close to 40K a year for 4 kids. I grew up across the street from a daycare and I know the number each adult actually watches is probably closer to 10 at many daycares... I’m sure the business has expenses but where does the excess cash go?

Is it just pocketed by the owners or are there excess insurance / licensing costs for pre-k childcare permits that I don’t know about?

Not sure how much they’re pulling down but I wouldn’t wish that business on my worst enemy. I was legal counsel for two daycares in my younger and dumber days. There are obviously guidelines on number of adults per kids which vary by age. Insurance tends to be very expensive. Dealing with issues between kids (and in turn parents) is a full time job.

I quickly learned being legal counsel for a daycare isn’t much better than running one :(

Not sure how much they’re pulling down but I wouldn’t wish that business on my worst enemy. I was legal counsel for two daycares in my younger and dumber days. There are obviously guidelines on number of adults per kids which vary by age. Insurance tends to be very expensive. Dealing with issues between kids (and in turn parents) is a full time job.

I quickly learned being legal counsel for a daycare isn’t much better than running one :(
I find it interesting that kids pre-K have a ratio limit of 3-4 in many states but as soon as they make it to kindergarten they can stuff ~20+ of them into a classroom where the teacher not only has to watch over them, but also teach them at the same time.

That ratio seems rather punitive to parents in terms of the costs it creates for labor. I certainly understand limits for ratios with infants who can’t communicate and can’t reliably control their bodily functions, but beyond that I think the ratios could certainly be increased in many places to make the public necessity more affordable.

Last edited:
As an old guy, I can remembering the 50's reading Life magazine about the horrors of life in Communist Russia. Chief among them was state run childcare; young kids didn't stay at home with their parents! In the US then, far fewer women worked, and so childcare was your home with your mom around or at a friend's house with a parent there.

The other side of the story. My granddaughter is in college majoring in Early Childhood Developement. Her money making job is in day care part time. I am prejudiced but she loves babies lots of workers may not. They sure smile a lot for her and the camera. She gets around $13/hour. Not bad for a partime job where you are also hands on. Sometimes you get your hands on something you would rather not.

As an old guy, I can remembering the 50's reading Life magazine about the horrors of life in Communist Russia. Chief among them was state run childcare; young kids didn't stay at home with their parents! In the US then, far fewer women worked, and so childcare was your home with your mom around or at a friend's house with a parent there.
Lmao. Tell that to New Zealand who has it now. Those damned commies down under!

you can blame that on the hippies

Last edited:
Reactions: watu05
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT