ADVERTISEMENT

Burgess

TUGrad06

I.T.S. Position Coach
Aug 30, 2008
Whats the story with him? #4 player in Arkansas 2 years ago...#22 passer in the country. Why haven't we heard about him at all?

He must be like #6 on the depth chart behind the other QBs.

Are you seriously using Burgess's high school stats from 3 years ago to justify playing him ahead of Dane? You are pathetic! But since you brought up stats, how about looking at more relevant stats such as this year's D1 College statistics. Well looky there, out of 124 qualified D1 QBs, ole Dane is ranked #6 in passing yards, ranked #20 in passing TDs, ranked #11 in yards per completion and ranked #22 in overall QB rating. Not too shabby huh?

Look, we know you don't like Dane. You have stated he doesn't have D1 talent. You have stated that Dane "gave up" in the last game. You even criticized his tackling ability. But the above stats don't lie. He is certainly not the best, nor is he a good runner. But he is an above average passer. Coach Monty obviously believes he gives us the best chance. Why in the hell would a coach intentionally sabotage his career by sitting a better QB?

Dane is certainly not perfect. He has made mistakes and will continue. No QB is perfect. Even Tom Brady throws interceptions and fumbles the ball. But remember another statistic ... Dane has been sacked 24 times already this year. That ranks in the top 4 for most sacks. Dane is playing behind a bad Oline. So he is generally running for his life nearly every play. He rarely has time to throw to his 1st option much less the 2nd or 3rd.

But again, Dane give us the best chance for now. I hope he continues to improve. I want us to win more than anything. But I also would like to see your asinine posts about Dane not having D1 talent and playing our 6th chair QB ahead of Dane to stop.

Last edited:
How do we have many great high-school qbs that are not good enough to play here
There are many thousands of high school QBs that graduate each year. There are only 126 D1 college football teams. Any QB who gets recruited to play D1 college football will have gaudy stats.

How do we have many great high-school qbs that are not good enough to play here
Because they're not great. The only bonafide great high school quarterback TU started was actually a SMU transfer by the name of Jerry Rhome. He deserved to win the Heisman Trophy over the Notre Dame winner..John Huard ? Paul Smith has been our best QB since Rhome but he wasn't considered a great high school player. He became a great TU QB .

Reactions: TUMe
Because they're not great. The only bonafide great high school quarterback TU started was actually a SMU transfer by the name of Jerry Rhome. He deserved to win the Heisman Trophy over the Notre Dame winner..John Huard ? Paul Smith has been our best QB since Rhome but he wasn't considered a great high school player. He became a great TU QB .
TJ rubley was the best since Rhome in my opinion. Paul was great but I would give the edge to TJ.

Last edited:
I will say that Dane has come a long way from last year. If he was just a LITTLE bit faster, he could scramble for decent yardage when the pocket collapses, but he usually gets tackled at the line of scrimmage when he makes his runs. Now the fumble he had against Memphis was just atrocious. I've never seen him run so lackadaisical before when carrying the football. Flashes of brilliance for sure, just needs that consistency part.

Not quite sure what it would it take for u to consider a guy great? I'd say GJ kinne, Paul Smith, and James Kilian were all GREAT high school qbs. They were all absolutely dominant. Hell, Cody Green was a GREAT high school qb. Obviously it doesn't always translate.

There are lots of GREAT high school football players who never played a down in college. And quite a few average players who wound up being great.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
Over the years QB is a position Tulsa has not really had too many issues being competitive. However at LB's, DE's and DB's we can go on and on and on talking about those positions.

Dane is fine IMHO.

GO TU!!!!

Last edited:
Rubley was a great college QB but he also had ++ talent on the O-line and at WR and even RB. Frerotte was a really good college QB who didn't have the same caliber of talent at RB, and he had Penn for 1 year and that turned out to be a fantastic year offensively...but TU simply didn't have the horses on defense that year. Paul Smith was the all time leading passer in the state of Oklahoma when he committed to TU. The only QB that I can say was just flat out terrible at TU was Tyler Gooch. Since Kragthorpe got to TU we have had a string of pretty good QBs. It doesn't always turn into wins on the field. Even Cody Green whose football IQ did not match his football ability made plays and led TU to one of its most successful seasons in history. Give Dane the O-line GJ played behind in 2010 and his stats may just be absolutely ridiculous right now.

I should ignore the troll or the lack of historical knowledge, but what the heck, I'll bite. I disagree with every statement you make.

Paul Smith set the state career passing record and began getting All-State honors as a sophomore. He played at TU as a true freshmen -- at least six games that I can remember. It isn't like he would develop into some great QB after only several weeks on campus. What made Paul great was his ability to digest quickly and execute two completely different offenses. Being a coach's son helped that. What also helped was an OC like Malzahn who could adapt his offense to fit Smith's talents and cover up his weaknesses. That said, TJ Rubley was the youngest brother of a string of highly heralded QB brothers and was a first team all state his senior season. He attracted attention from programs across the country. Gus Frerotte had his choice in offers. If you are counting transfers, and apparently you are ,GJ Kinne signed with Texas, not SMU, and was considered amongst the best player in the country by many experts, including coaches at places like Florida, Oklahoma, and Nebraska.

My problem with Dane is that the system puts the team in a position to succeed, but his competitiveness and decision making often leads to unnecessary turnovers, and in the end, losses. You can have the best stats in the country, but if you are consistently throwing interceptions in tight games because your defense can't keep the other team out of the end zone, then I am not going to call you solid. I don't care if you complete 70% of your passes, if you are losing 100% of your unnecessary fumbles. I don't even care if you are doing that early in your development. Rubley was a classic example of getting out of control and losing the ball because he was expected to win games single handedly early on in his career. But he learned from that and developed into a good decision maker. We just aren't seeing that from Dane. It's clear he can make throws nobody else on the team can make. He had some beauties on Friday. But you can't praise him for two steps forward (nationally ranked stats) without taking into account his three steps back (unnecessary turnovers and turnovers in critical situations). That's why Kragthorpe refused to talk about QB ratings. He was a QB coach. He knew the only stat that mattered was Total Team Scoring Defense. The grading of a QB, total yards gain, etc. can't be compared to something like a batting average. It makes for interesting banter on NFL Today, but it is totally worthless for determining the value (or cost) of a player. At best it raises the profile of the program nationally, but every Tulsa QB should be expected to do that, regardless of who is in there.

Dane may be the best we've got, but he clearly isn't doing the best he can. Im sure the coaches are telling him that. Saying otherwise here is just disingenuous.

Reactions: TUGrad06
Love all the vitriol. I was just wondering what happened to some of the other "heralded" QBs on our roster. I agree with Huffy. Dane doesn't pass the eye test. He has great stats. But when you actually watch the throws, the attitude and the unforced errors in close(ish) games, not scanning the field, locking onto 1 receiver all the time, etc...you can SEE that he's just not that good.

BUT...our losses are mainly because of the defense. I just expect more out of a Junior QB with regards to decision making. Maybe reading defenses in college isn't what college QBs are supposed to do? Just 1 read and throw?

The only QB that I can say was just flat out terrible at TU was Tyler Gooch.

He was even a highly touted kid when he graduated. Prob would have been a decent 3 star kid. Was committed to Northwestern and had an offer from OSU as well.

He wasn't a bad player. Just played on two really bad teams in a bad situation. Honestly he would have been a decent fit in this system IMO

Last edited:
Honestly that's prob a little unfair to him as well. He wasn't a bad football player at all. He played as a true freshman and true sophomore on two really bad teams. He wasn't ready for it but It would have been a bad situation for any kid honestly.

But even he was a highly touted kid when he graduated. Prob would have been a decent 3 star kid. Was committed to Northwestern and had an offer from OSU as well.

Honestly he would have been a decent fit in this system IMO
The question was about" Great High School Quarterbacks . I love what Paul Smith accomplished at the college level, GJ was great for TU. If Paul Smith was considered a "great " high school QB then where was his offer from OU...OSU...Arkansas ? For me a great high school QB would be a John Elway type. Maybe you consider Mason Fine "great" cause he set the Oklahoma passing record.

The question was about" Great High School Quarterbacks . I love what Paul Smith accomplished at the college level, GJ was great for TU. If Paul Smith was considered a "great " high school QB then where was his offer from OU...OSU...Arkansas ? For me a great high school QB would be a John Elway type. Maybe you consider Mason Fine "great" cause he set the Oklahoma passing record.

He was offered by Penn St, and offers don't judge a kids high school career. They show how a kid projects in college. If Elway is your standard I doubt you have ever laid eyes on a great high school player.

Last edited:
I should ignore the troll or the lack of historical knowledge, but what the heck, I'll bite. I disagree with every statement you make.

Paul Smith set the state career passing record and began getting All-State honors as a sophomore. He played at TU as a true freshmen -- at least six games that I can remember. It isn't like he would develop into some great QB after only several weeks on campus. What made Paul great was his ability to digest quickly and execute two completely different offenses. Being a coach's son helped that. What also helped was an OC like Malzahn who could adapt his offense to fit Smith's talents and cover up his weaknesses. That said, TJ Rubley was the youngest brother of a string of highly heralded QB brothers and was a first team all state his senior season. He attracted attention from programs across the country. Gus Frerotte had his choice in offers. If you are counting transfers, and apparently you are ,GJ Kinne signed with Texas, not SMU, and was considered amongst the best player in the country by many experts, including coaches at places like Florida, Oklahoma, and Nebraska.

My problem with Dane is that the system puts the team in a position to succeed, but his competitiveness and decision making often leads to unnecessary turnovers, and in the end, losses. You can have the best stats in the country, but if you are consistently throwing interceptions in tight games because your defense can't keep the other team out of the end zone, then I am not going to call you solid. I don't care if you complete 70% of your passes, if you are losing 100% of your unnecessary fumbles. I don't even care if you are doing that early in your development. Rubley was a classic example of getting out of control and losing the ball because he was expected to win games single handedly early on in his career. But he learned from that and developed into a good decision maker. We just aren't seeing that from Dane. It's clear he can make throws nobody else on the team can make. He had some beauties on Friday. But you can't praise him for two steps forward (nationally ranked stats) without taking into account his three steps back (unnecessary turnovers and turnovers in critical situations). That's why Kragthorpe refused to talk about QB ratings. He was a QB coach. He knew the only stat that mattered was Total Team Scoring Defense. The grading of a QB, total yards gain, etc. can't be compared to something like a batting average. It makes for interesting banter on NFL Today, but it is totally worthless for determining the value (or cost) of a player. At best it raises the profile of the program nationally, but every Tulsa QB should be expected to do that, regardless of who is in there.

Dane may be the best we've got, but he clearly isn't doing the best he can. Im sure the coaches are telling him that. Saying otherwise here is just disingenuous.
Never mentioned GJ Kinne troll...his name was Jerry Rhome. Maybe you just have a watered down definition of the word "GREAT" or could it be they were "GOOD" high school QB'S?

Reactions: Gmoney4WW

He was offered by Penn St. And offers don't judge a kids high school career. They show how a kid projects in college. If Elway is your standard I doubt you have ever laid eyes on a great high school player.
I thought Brent Blackman was a great high school quarterback...how do you like those apples.

He was offered by Penn St. And offers don't judge a kids high school career. They show how a kid projects in college. If Elway is your standard I doubt you have ever laid eyes on a great high school player.

Ive never seen Mason Fine play, but if he is setting state high school records then yeah, by definition I'd say he is a great high school player.

A John Elway type? That would be a group of one. I'll go out on a limb and say that we could win with an "Elway type". Or would that be too obvious?

A John Elway type? That would be a group of one. I'll go out on a limb and say that we could win with an "Elway type". Or would that be too obvious?
Chase Daniel was a "great" high school QB, Marc Bulger, Brock Berlin, Dan Marino, Joe Naamath,Brocko Nagurski, YA Tittle, Jim Plunkett, Sonny Sixkiller, Dean Blevins, James Street, Nolan Cromwell, Kenny Stabler...Tulsa's own Billy Van Burkleo had a great career at Rogers High School. Did I leave anyone out ? Zasu Pitts ?

He was even a highly touted kid when he graduated. Prob would have been a decent 3 star kid. Was committed to Northwestern and had an offer from OSU as well.

He wasn't a bad player. Just played on two really bad teams in a bad situation. Honestly he would have been a decent fit in this system IMO
Frm'r I get it. He was a great QB in HS and I was there for the insane game of the century between Union and Jenks, and he was a great athlete, I just didn't see the arm strength. The offensive system during his time at TU was also sort of like a bad, unorganized flag football team. His attitude also rubbed me the wrong way around campus. Plus I was a big fan of the other QB on the roster at that time...can't remember his name

Chase Daniel was a "great" high school QB, Marc Bulger, Brock Berlin, Dan Marino, Joe Naamath,Brocko Nagurski, YA Tittle, Jim Plunkett, Sonny Sixkiller, Dean Blevins, James Street, Nolan Cromwell, Kenny Stabler...Tulsa's own Billy Van Burkleo had a great career at Rogers High School. Did I leave anyone out ? Zasu Pitts ?
You left out Troy Aikman ... whose records were broken by Paul Smith.

Drew Pearson was a great QB from New Jersey. He broke a lot of Joe Theisman's high school records.
Nathan Hale High School had Gary Moore (played at Texas), Forb Phillips (OU), Bill Speer ( wrestling at OU), Brent Blackman, Bruce Taton, David Vickers (OU) . All good high school quarterbacks...were they all great ? NO . How about BT Washington lineage of QB s under Ed Lacy ....good quarterbacks on great teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT