ADVERTISEMENT

Boise St

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Apparently Boise St has been in talks with the AAC to move their football program to the AAC and is looking at trying to move their Olympic sports to the WCC or Big Sky. There’s a couple of different people tweeting out the report. The WCC is probably not a good fit as almost all the schools in that conference have a Jesuit or religious affiliation of some kind. The Big sky would be a decent fit.

not sure how I feel about their football being in the AAC. I’d make it contingent on them switching the blue turf out for normal green turf. Guess they were butt hurt that they lost the MWC Championship game to San Jose St.

Apparently Boise St has been in talks with the AAC to move their football program to the AAC and is looking at trying to move their Olympic sports to the WCC or Big Sky. There’s a couple of different people tweeting out the report. The WCC is probably not a good fit as almost all the schools in that conference have a Jesuit or religious affiliation of some kind. The Big sky would be a decent fit.

not sure how I feel about their football being in the AAC. I’d make it contingent on them switching the blue turf out for normal green turf. Guess they were butt hurt that they lost the MWC Championship game to San Jose St.
Rumor I am hearing is not just Boise. Likely 3 teams to get us to 14. Boise and some combination of BYU, Air Force, Colorado St, New Mexico or Army.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW and TUMU
I think BYU has some issues about joining a conference again but they really need it. It also with the right 3 teams make this conference top to bottom clearly better than PAC and maybe 1 other.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I’ll take Air Force, Army, and BYU. Would love to have all three service academies to nail down the “American” brand and nation-wide fan bases. I’m guessing BYU has an appeal for Mormans all over the country too. Kind of like Notre Dame does with Catholics.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Boise story is old. It’s based on emails that have slowly trickled out from their version of FOIA. It’s news again because their coach disparaged the MWC and the commissioner in the latest release.

Boise will never happen. UCF estimates it will cost them up to $1 million extra in travel. Same with Salt Lake/Provo. I’d love to have BYU but they want more money than other candidates and between dividing the pie and the added costs, it just doesn’t make sense. BYU got a bad rep in the MWC by winning everything all the time, taking more money, and trying to dictate terms. (Their Olympic record made the conference a sham. They lost like three championships in all sports the last couple of years). There’s too much of a chance they will try the same in the AAC. They’d be a nice fill if we lose UCF again, so you gotta keep flirting.

Reactions: TU 1978
Boise wanted all sports, preferably with a western wing.

We said no.

They said okay, just us, all sports.

We said no.

They said do you want our football.

We said maybe.

Boise can't get the Big West to take them (told no, may have laughed).

Boise never got call back from WCC who is uninterested being a private school conference, 10 of which are pretty small and all have some pretty strong academics and no trucking major.

They think they are too good for the WAC, the WAC went into Texas and I don't think has any interest in taking Boise. Chicago St is almost done and Seattle will become the only outpost geography wise, there has been talk they may look for a new home.

Boise has some support from AAC athletic directors at a few schools, a bunch of neutrals and probably a couple who lean towards no. The presidents will make the decision, but right now they can't get anyone to take their olympics because they really aren't worth the head ache.

Beyond that, this has the biggest chance of being attempted leverage. This started when the MW told them they would not renew the sweetheart deal that still doesn't have them winning their division every year despite it being the weaker part of the MW, having more money and more exposure by far than anyone else.

I’ll take Air Force, Army, and BYU. Would love to have all three service academies to nail down the “American” brand and nation-wide fan bases. I’m guessing BYU has an appeal for Mormans all over the country too. Kind of like Notre Dame does with Catholics.
Negative. Mormons are all over map. You’re just as apt to find a church member with a Ute, Aggie, or Rainbow Warrior bumper sticker as a cougar. It’s very evenly split and very tribal in some parts of the country.

Yes and have a home for their olympics already for BYU.

Army similarly.

AFA is interesting, a nice bridge to BYU and with them being small, high academic standards they would thrive in the WCC while bring a lot of stability to the conference with all the sports they sponsor. I really feel that fit for their olympic sports would be similar to the Patriot for Army and Navy.

Negative. Mormons are all over map. You’re just as apt to find a church member with a Ute, Aggie, or Rainbow Warrior bumper sticker as a cougar. It’s very evenly split and very tribal in some parts of the country.

Ah no.

They are well known for having a national following. Particularly strong in the west, but in Florida and Texas as well. The LDS church is in direct control of BYU who has branch campuses every where.

If our league can swing Air Force, BYU, CSU ad Boise, then we have the former MWC that I hoped TU would be a part of.
Add SMU UH and Tulane. Then we have two great divisions. I worry that this may be the only hope TU has to be left out when the BIGs decide to go to 64 teams and we get left out. Just keep winning Cane

Reactions: TUMU
If our league can swing Air Force, BYU, CSU ad Boise, then we have the former MWC that I hoped TU would be a part of.
Add SMU UH and Tulane. Then we have two great divisions. I worry that this may be the only hope TU has to be left out when the BIGs decide to go to 64 teams and we get left out. Just keep winning Cane

Boise story is old. It’s based on emails that have slowly trickled out from their version of FOIA. It’s news again because their coach disparaged the MWC and the commissioner in the latest release.

Boise will never happen. UCF estimates it will cost them up to $1 million extra in travel. Same with Salt Lake/Provo. I’d love to have BYU but they want more money than other candidates and between dividing the pie and the added costs, it just doesn’t make sense. BYU got a bad rep in the MWC by winning everything all the time, taking more money, and trying to dictate terms. (Their Olympic record made the conference a sham. They lost like three championships in all sports the last couple of years). There’s too much of a chance they will try the same in the AAC. They’d be a nice fill if we lose UCF again, so you gotta keep flirting.

Was that for football only for the million in travel?

Aresco has said we will take football almost anywhere. Geography is not a limiting factor.

He has said all sports schools or Olympics only will have to be in the footprint or adjacent. We don't want to have to send Volleyball or Softball across multiple time zones.

Was that for football only for the million in travel?

Aresco has said we will take football almost anywhere. Geography is not a limiting factor.

He has said all sports schools or Olympics only will have to be in the footprint or adjacent. We don't want to have to send Volleyball or Softball across multiple time zones.
That’s the rub and the substance of the emails. Take the time to read on the issue before you comment. The emails were internal Boise discussions about why Boise must take all sports and AAC won’t, mostly due to the cost of travel by the basketballs and volleyball to and from Florida. And the coaching staffs frustration with that impasse.

Ah no.

They are well known for having a national following. Particularly strong in the west, but in Florida and Texas as well. The LDS church is in direct control of BYU who has branch campuses every where.
Ah. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Join the church, live out west, and then get back to me.

BYU has two branches besides the Provo campus, one in Salt Lake and one in Jerusalem (don’t ask me why — the fundamental teaching of the Church is that Christ will return to the Earth to reign for 1000 years from a New Jerusalem located in Jackson County Missouri.)

You may be confusing separate schools BYU-Hawaii and BYU-Idaho which are tiny and not truly part of BYU.

The University of Utah is a massive university and has a majority Mormon population. Hawaii is very popular with the Mormon community. Utah State cleans up the rest. Again, a state university with a significant plurality of Mormons.

For that matter, your reasoning on Notre Dame is flawed. I’m Catholic and despise Notre Dame and feel free to go to Boston and ask any Catholic what they think of them.

Mormonism is the third largest religion in the United States and the fastest growing religion in a majority of the states. But your average Mormon household, if it cares about football at all, is frequently divided between and Y and U or sometimes H.

Reactions: TU 1978
Jeez, so many people on here that apparently know everything about every topic. So hard to choose which side to be on
Fair point. And touché. But I know a lot about certain things. And have a hair trigger when it comes to the idea that people of a certain religion are monolithic. It’s a precursor to bigotry, in some cases, but all. Nothing to suggest it here, but it’s a bad habit to get into. Assuming because BYU travels well and has a world wide following that all Mormons must follow BYU sells the church short and downgrade the exclusive nature of the school. There’s a greater number of Mormons who have no relationship to the school. Many profess their disdain. Mostly because they couldn’t get in.

But that’s before we discuss the optical problem of the University presidents voting to admit them into the conference and then having to go back to the faculty lounge and defend that decision to the ultra-left.

Last edited:
Colorado State and Air Force want to stick together. And they are geographically the most sensible.

Add them plus Army.

West is Air Force, Co State, Tulsa, SMU, Houston, Memphis, Tulane

East is USF, UCF, ECU, Army, Navy, Temple, Cincinnati

Have fun with that Boise!

Colorado State and Air Force want to stick together. And they are geographically the most sensible.

Add them plus Army.

West is Air Force, Co State, Tulsa, SMU, Houston, Memphis, Tulane

East is USF, UCF, ECU, Army, Navy, Temple, Cincinnati

Have fun with that Boise!
Great point about the CSU and Air Force rivalry. MWC screwed that up and it almost brought the whole conference down. CSU is such a mess. Football telling players not to report CoVid symptoms and maybe falsifying tests to keep games from being cancelled. Sexual Harassment issues. Male employees having sex with female players and being fired but multiple female administrators having sex with male and female players and being allowed to stay on. It’s a soap opera there now and their budget is next to nil.

Jeez, so many people on here that apparently know everything about every topic. So hard to choose which side to be on

This isn't hard.

BYU is 33k and 99% mormon.

Utah is 32k and 35% mormon, according to a Utah Chronicle from last year:
"Latter-day Saint membership levels at the U appear to be much smaller than the rest of the state"

Utah St has occassionally be referred to as BYU JR and its 27k is 70% mormon.

The University of Hawaii is only 18k total, the entire state is only about 6% mormon and its student population is diverse but the mormons are a significantly smaller portion of enrollement than either of the Utah schools.

The mormon religion is just over 6m followers here in the US not large considering 331m population. It's big if you break apart christianity and don't count agnostics or atheists, but even then it isn't that much. Mormons are largely concentrated in the west, but only dominate in Utah. They have large population bases in Texas, Florida, and California. All total the world wide religion membership is only 16m, mostly in the US, with a large presence in the pacific and Brazil, but a true world wide scope.

Or you can just go ask the MW board, our conference board, or the realignment board that is on the same sight as the AAC board. Really you could ask anyone who follows college football, Mormons=BYU and BYU=Mormons the Temple runs the school and is so closely associated with it that it has caused issues for BYU.

I have lived all over the west and am quite a bit more familiar with Mormons then Huffy thinks. I also knew what BYU was before I knew Tulsa existed.

I'm just going to recommend that people really interested in what is going on and wanting an actual discussion on it to check out the conference board where we have been discussing this for weeks now. There are two threads on it multiple pages long that actually discuss the pros and cons.

This is all old though and comes from when the MW told Boise their sweetheart deal was over. It is unlikely it was serious. The fact they used email knowing there would be FOIA requests tell you they wanted this known.

If you want to take a wild ride check out the realignment board that is connected it has a ton of stuff.

I guess we are going to disagree then. I don’t think anyone disputes that BYU is run by the Mormon church and most people think BYU=Mormons. I think you’re misinformed or crazy if you think being Mormon means you must like BYU. Stop the next set of Elders you see and ask them where they went to school last year. You’ll get a lot of different answers, but the U will be the answer about as often as the Y.

I guess we are going to disagree then. I don’t think anyone disputes that BYU is run by the Mormon church and most people think BYU=Mormons. I think you’re misinformed or crazy if you think being Mormon means you must like BYU. Stop the next set of Elders you see and ask them where they went to school last year. You’ll get a lot of different answers, but the U will be the answer about as often as the Y.

Except for statistically that just isn't true and is irrelevant as lots of people go to different schools in Oklahoma and are still OU fans.

Nor is my view the one that isn't widely accepted in football fandom, go to a PAC boards, a WAC board, or a MW board and ask them who the Mormons tend to follow. The church itself promotes and uses BYU athletics the way the military does Navy and Army, which is why their Honor Code had been such an issue.

I know of two Mormons who had a preferred team other than BYU - Tommy Hudspeth and Garrett Mills:)

(And yes I know Tommy was the HC at BYU but his true love - Tulsa)

Last edited:
Fair point. And touché. But I know a lot about certain things. And have a hair trigger when it comes to the idea that people of a certain religion are monolithic. It’s a precursor to bigotry, in some cases, but all. Nothing to suggest it here, but it’s a bad habit to get into. Assuming because BYU travels well and has a world wide following that all Mormons must follow BYU sells the church short and downgrade the exclusive nature of the school. There’s a greater number of Mormons who have no relationship to the school. Many profess their disdain. Mostly because they couldn’t get in.

But that’s before we discuss the optical problem of the University presidents voting to admit them into the conference and then having to go back to the faculty lounge and defend that decision to the ultra-left.
Oh I have no doubt you know more then me. I'm young compared to alot of the people who are on this board. I like to think I know alot about TU athletics and then I see threads about the 60s and 70s amd realize I know absolutely nothing.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Oh I have no doubt you know more then me. I'm young compared to alot of the people who are on this board. I like to think I know alot about TU athletics and then I see threads about the 60s and 70s amd realize I know absolutely nothing.
I’m with you. I struggle to remember games in the 80’s and there are folks on here who remember stuff in the 50’s and 60’s off the tops of their heads. A few because they played in the games I suspect.

I'm just not understanding what the big deal is about the religion anyway. I couldnt care less if a team in our conference is primarily a mormon or catholic or whatever school. Personally I dont know much about religion but whichever team gives this conference the bear chance to be more respected, athletic wise, I'm all for. Because obviously having an undefeated team basically every year, isnt enough

I’m with you. I struggle to remember games in the 80’s and there are folks on here who remember stuff in the 50’s and 60’s off the tops of their heads. A few because they played in the games I suspect.
I'm even jealous of the 80s. I was born in 89 and didn't attend my first athletic event until 2000, where I instantly realized this was going to be my team. So I've only got 20 years of experience under my belt, but what a great and heartbreaking 20 years it's been

I'm just not understanding what the big deal is about the religion anyway. I couldnt care less if a team in our conference is primarily a mormon or catholic or whatever school. Personally I dont know much about religion but whichever team gives this conference the bear chance to be more respected, athletic wise, I'm all for. Because obviously having an undefeated team basically every year, isnt enough
Don’t disagree. But plenty of gay players and faculty do. Their policies are viewed as discriminatory. Some black players have also expressed displeasure with having a business relationship with them due to the Church’s history and continuing problems with black members and black players. The Church did not fully acknowledge blacks as being fully human and equal to whites until 1978.

I'm even jealous of the 80s. I was born in 89 and didn't attend my first athletic event until 2000, where I instantly realized this was going to be my team. So I've only got 20 years of experience under my belt, but what a great and heartbreaking 20 years it's been
Arguably the best 20 years yet. Don’t sell those memories short.

Seriously.. does no one on here remember the last time we formed a conference with them?

Uh uh.. no way. We dont need them joining and then cherry picking big schools to form their own conference again.

They are bad seeds. Let them rot.

Seriously.. does no one on here remember the last time we formed a conference with them?

Uh uh.. no way. We dont need them joining and then cherry picking big schools to form their own conference again.

They are bad seeds. Let them rot.
I don't think they would even pretend to get away with that this time around. This conference has better teams, that would laugh them under the table if they tried to pull that deja vu thing again. Besides a number of the better teams in this conference are the US of A distance away from them anyway. They would never be swayed to join with them, just for that reason.

I don't think they would even pretend to get away with that this time around. This conference has better teams, that would laugh them under the table if they tried to pull that deja vu thing again. Besides a number of the better teams in this conference are the US of A distance away from them anyway. They would never be swayed to join with them, just for that reason.
Money talks...
Bigger schools..
Bigger fanbase..
More TVs..
They would f@ck us over in a heartbeat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT