ADVERTISEMENT

Boise St game thread

Huh? You're kind of making my point. If we're taking bad shots and missing them one game and it causes us to lose.... then we're making them the next and it causes a blow out win.... maybe we should start searching for better shots to help guarantee wins? That's all I'm saying.

I'm not trying to explain away the win. Sometimes you're just "on". I'm not going to get mad at you taking a turnaround fadaway if you've just made your last 5 shots... but don't expect to do it next game when you've been clanking the rim all night.

I don't get why I'm not allowed to be happy with a performance while still thinking we have room to improve? I mean.... that's what I'd hope Haith is saying to the team.
Oh my god. Are you dense. The reason given for the Arkansas St loss wasn't our shooting it was there's. The reason they won was they were putting up shots that shouldn't wouldn't go, but did. Then you make that same criticism of our shooting in a game we win.

Not worth the argument with you. Can't see the forest for the trees. Go look at the multiple posts about crazy shots falling for Arkansas St.

Not worth the argument with you. Can't see the forest for the trees. Go look at the multiple posts about crazy shots falling for Arkansas St.
The difference in the game wasn't that they were making crazy shots. Both teams shot well. The difference is that they were drawing shooting fouls and we weren't. Which is basically what I was saying. We need to get to the line more instead of settling for jumpers.

Yeah, keep telling yourself what you want to hear. Don't read what other people are saying about Arkansas St cuz that gets in the way of what you want to say.

The difference in the game wasn't that they were making crazy shots. Both teams shot well. The difference is that they were drawing shooting fouls and we weren't. Which is basically what I was saying. We need to get to the line more instead of settling for jumpers.
You don't buy other peoples explanation of why we lost to Arkansas St, based on their incredible luck in shooting.(ASU) Then you make the same criticisms of our shooting, to explain away the win against Boise St. How many ways can I say that before you actually respond to what I am saying.

You don't buy other peoples explanation of why we lost to Arkansas St, based on their incredible luck in shooting.(ASU) Then you make the same excuse for our shooting, to explain away the win against Boise St. How many ways can I say that before you actually respond to what I am saying.
I don't like just excusing losses cause the other team shoots well. If the other team is shooting well, you need to be able to still win. How do you do that? You rebound better. You get steals. You take care of the ball. You get to the line more.

No excuses. The game starts at 0-0. You have just as many opportunities to make shots as they do. Play better. For our team, that means taking care of the ball more, taking smarter shots, and knowing when NOT to take a shot and try to get fouled instead.

I don't like just excusing losses cause the other team shoots well. If the other team is shooting well, you need to be able to still win. How do you do that? You rebound better. You get steals. You take care of the ball. You get to the line more.

No excuses. The game starts at 0-0. You have just as many opportunities to make shots as they do. Play better. For our team, that means taking care of the ball more, taking smarter shots, and knowing when NOT to take a shot and try to get fouled instead.
The criticism was made on ASU, because they were shooting in an out of the ordinary way for all the rest of their games. They don't usually get that lucky. They don't usually make crazy falling out of bounds prayer shots and such. It did not meet up to scouting their team.

The criticism was made on ASU, because they were shooting in an out of the ordinary way for all the rest of their games. They don't usually get that lucky. They don't usually make crazy falling out of bounds prayer shots and such. It did not meet up to scouting their team.
I get what you're saying. I'm saying you have to find a way to win.... even when the other team shoots well. You can't control how they shoot. If you're playing good defense, then you're playing good defense. But you can control how you play on offense. We could have (should have) won that game. It came down to the fact that they got fouled in the act of shooting more than we did. (Or got to the bonus faster)

I get what you're saying. I'm saying you have to find a way to win.... even when the other team shoots well. You can't control how they shoot. If you're playing good defense, then you're playing good defense. But you can control how you play on offense. We could have (should have) won that game. It came down to the fact that they got fouled in the act of shooting more than we did. (Or got to the bonus faster)
Agreed, and we weren't controlling our turnovers, but in a normal game for them, we would have still won.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Everything being average? Absolutely. I don't disagree with that. I'm just saying that the best teams find ways to win even when the opponent plays well. Think about Kentucky vs WSU a couple seasons back when Shamet was on fire. You have to weather the storm and come out on top. If they're shooting well, then you have to shoot well too... but that will only make you equal. We want to win so we have to go above and beyond. We have to do what they're not able to. In a game where both teams shoot well, that means getting to the line.

If it were my team, I would want my guys to play like the other team was capable of great play every night. That means not only do I want us to shoot just as well or better than them, but I also want us to do all the little things that separate being good from great. Night in and night out. So on a night when we win big because we shot well and they didn't... but we didn't do the little things too? I'm not quite satisfied. It wasn't a complete victory.

I kinda look at it like Bill Bellicheck. They'll ask him about a dominating win and he'll see some little quirk in the box score that he thinks he can improve upon. That's what separates him from most other coaches.

So you guys just know, we lost to Arkansas state because we didn’t play defense. Compare the energy we saw last night to Saturday, it’s no contest.
I didn't get to watch all of Arky St. (Nor did I really want to) but the defense last night was really great. I was just taking the word for it that Ark St. was making contested shots. Even if we weren't playing good defense, we would have won if we made more freethrows than they did. (We out rebounded, and out shot them)

Last edited:
I didn't get to watch all of Arky St. (Nor did I really want to) but the defense last night was really great. I was just taking the word for it that Ark St. was making contested shots. Even if we weren't playing good defense, we would have won if we made more freethrows than they did. (We out rebounded, and out shot them)
So after all of that arguing, you didn't even watch the whole game??? From the sound of it you missed as much of it as you saw, if you were lucky. Come on.

So after all of that arguing, you didn't even watch the whole game??? From the sound of it you missed as much of it as you saw, if you were lucky. Come on.
Just lookin at the stats. I'm taking your word for it as to how both teams played. The difference in the stats was that they shot more freethrows than we did. We shot the same from the field and actually better from 3. We also had more boards and assists. All things were equal or in our favor barring a couple turnovers and not getting to the freethrow line.

Just lookin at the stats. I'm taking your word for it as to how both teams played. The difference in the stats was that they shot more freethrows than we did. We shot the same from the field and actually better from 3. We also had more boards and assists. All things were equal or in our favor barring a couple turnovers and not getting to the freethrow line.
Stats are cool but you can’t look at the stats and understand how the game was played.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Stats are cool but you can’t look at the stats and understand how the game was played.
I can understand that both teams shot well and that both teams played similar defense with the difference being we tended to foul them in the act of shooting and we didn't draw the same calls on our offensive end.

I can understand that both teams shot well and that both teams played similar defense with the difference being we tended to foul them in the act of shooting and we didn't draw the same calls on our offensive end.
Sometimes teams lose games they should win because things they normally did throughout the season just didn't happen that particular day. TU's elite 8 game against UNC was on such event. Our defense was the normal stingy in your face defense we always played that year. TU just so happened to have its worst shooting game of the season that night. No one could really hit with any consistency.

It happens the other way too when you play your normal game and a team does something that they haven't shown an ability to do that season. There was a game we played against Cincinnati in the Reynold's Center 3-4 years ago where TU left the PG open and took away other scoring threats because the PG was shooting something like 22% from 3 and was scoring like 6 ppg that season. He hit like 5-7 from 3 that day and scored like 18 or 19 pts. I think that game went to OT and TU lost. It's an anomaly. My guess is TU probably saw film and stats on Ark State and the game plan was to make them shoot from outside.

Sometimes teams lose games they should win because things they normally did throughout the season just didn't happen that particular day. TU's elite 8 game against UNC was on such event. Our defense was the normal stingy in your face defense we always played that year. TU just so happened to have its worst shooting game of the season that night. No one could really hit with any consistency.

It happens the other way too when you play your normal game and a team does something that they haven't shown an ability to do that season. There was a game we played against Cincinnati in the Reynold's Center 3-4 years ago where TU left the PG open and took away other scoring threats because the PG was shooting something like 22% from 3 and was scoring like 6 ppg that season. He hit like 5-7 from 3 that day and scored like 18 or 19 pts. I think that game went to OT and TU lost. It's an anomaly. My guess is TU probably saw film and stats on Ark State and the game plan was to make them shoot from outside.
Still doesn't excuse us not getting to the line.

So you guys just know, we lost to Arkansas state because we didn’t play defense. Compare the energy we saw last night to Saturday, it’s no contest.

Yup. Comfortable players will make tough shots now and then and we did nothing to make them uncomfortable

Reactions: ctt8410
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT