ADVERTISEMENT

Blast from the past

Bill Lowery

ITS Recruiting Analyst
Staff
Sep 29, 2001
For all of you old timers (me included), you might remember Julian Hammond. I believe we might be taking a look at his grandson. Julian (the original), stayed in the Denver area after his ABA career ended with the Rockets. This is an older story but a nice read.

—————-

Student-Athlete Spotlight: Bruin has good hoops genes
Cherry Creek shooting guard comes from strong basketball family

Cherry Creek guard Julian Hammond III
JIM BENTON
Posted Saturday, December 15, 2018 2:59 pm
Jim Benton
jbenton@coloradocommunitymedia.com
If Cherry Creek shooting guard Julian Hammond III ever needs basketball advice, there is help nearby because of family ties.

His dad, Julian Hammond II, was a standout player at Aurora Christian Academy and both his dad and mother, Ruby, played college basketball at Loyola Marymount.

Hammond III's grandfather, Julian Hammond, was the former University of Tulsa standout who became a professional player between 1967-72 with the Denver Rockets of the American Basketball Association.

Hammond III, a 6-foot-2 sophomore, is off to a fast start this season and leads the Bruins in scoring. During a three-game road trip to Texas early this season, Hammond displayed his talents with 70 points, 12 rebounds, eight assists and five steals.

He was a reserve quarterback for Creek's state runner-up football team this season. He was called up to the basketball varsity team as a freshman last campaign and utilized in three playoff games.

This season he has continued to develop.

“I just go out and play and try to do whatever it takes for our team to win,” he said. “If that is passing one day or scoring. I have gotten a lot better since last year but there are still things I have to learn. I need to improve my ball handling, three-point shooting and taking care of the ball.

“I just want to show people that I can go out and play with them and I belong on the court with anyone.”

Hammond III doesn't hesitate to listen to guidance from his dad or grandfather.

“My grandfather comes to most of our games,” he said. “He was a different player than me so he gives me advice from a different aspect and how to be a hustle player and get points that way.”

Key stats:

Hammond III is averaging 21.8 points and shooting 59 percent from the field. He is harvesting four rebounds, 4.6 assists and 1.8 steals a game.

Coach's take:

“No moment is too big for him. He's a natural scorer and a real nice kid, good student and comes from a family of basketball players. He's got a complete game offensively. He can post a smaller guard up, he can shoot from the outside, he can finish with both hands and he has an excellent midrange jump shot. He is deceptively quick and he has a good feel for where to be and score the basketball.”

Kent Dertinger

Cherry Creek boys basketball coach

Q&A with Julian Hammond III

Who is your favorite athlete and why?

Kobe Bryant because I'm a Lakers fan.

What would be a perfect performance in your sport?

Just less turnovers. If I cut down on turnovers and shoot a good percentage would be perfect.

Who or what makes you excel?

My dad because he does whatever he can to help me be successful. I just want to get a scholarship so I can play in college.

What rituals, superstitions do you have?

I have my free throw routine, but besides that none.

How to you get open for shots against a tenacious defender?

Mainly it would be trying to run in transition and get a couple easy points and also get some assists to my teammates so he (the defender) has to help off of me. And then I can get the ball with him off of me.

What is the key to reducing turnovers?

Slowing down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News