ADVERTISEMENT

Berhalter’s replacement may not have been to Oklahoma,

RIP represalia

I.T.S. Freshman
Silver Member
Jul 1, 2024
But he’s in Alcobendas, to be featured in San Blas.

If I’m USSF sporting director there is only 1 candidate to replace Berhalter. Fernando Torres. He just won a championship with atleti youth team & only weeks ago promoted to coach Atlético de Madrid B team. He seems to be Simeone’s successor, but Simeone isn’t going anywhere the next 2 years.

Torres speaks English. His style is based bc it’s championship based. Hang your hat on D, but hustle & play exciting, attacking football (incels, pay attention, this works on & off the field.)

Most importantly, his most qualifying factor: ES UN GOLEADOR! HE IS A GOALER! HE KNITS NET!!!

I believe he’d take the job if offered. I wouldn’t go to anyone else & id tell him I have no search firm not even one consultant. I’d even tell him he can stay coach at Atletico B.

This is the winning decision.

¡Aúpa atleti! ¡Aúpa U.S. men’s team!” Mira se lo rima ya

Last edited:
IF they sack Burrhalter, one thing gives me hope that they'll choose a quality replacement. Those dim bulbs at the USSF had a moment of brilliant light when they hired Emma Hayes to coach the women. Can they duplicate this for the men? (on the other hand, the USSF hired Burrhalter........twice-Uh Oh!

Last edited:
Zero chance we hire someone whose coaching resume is 3 years with a U19 team imo. Not saying he wouldn’t do a great job. However, I don’t see US Soccer making such a move due to his limited coaching experience. I would take him over Berhalter btw.

Fernando Torres? Has never managed at the international level. Zero chance. None. God, the opinions of people in soccer always amaze me. It is fun to listen to and make fun of. You are going to join TU_Bla in insanity.

The only move is to make the Godfather offer for Klopp 10M/year and houses in Atlanta, Aspen, NYC and Miami. This is the way.

Fernando Torres? Has never managed at the international level. Zero chance. None. God, the opinions of people in soccer always amaze me. It is fun to listen to and make fun of. You are going to join TU_Bla in insanity.

The only move is to make the Godfather offer for Klopp 10M/year and houses in Atlanta, Aspen, NYC and Miami. This is the way.

Do we have to offer 4 houses in kind to Miss Hayes, or are material goods an exception. That would be quite a raise for her.

$1.6 mill, and yes, the most she's ever made..even with all the success at the Chelsea women's team. I guess that is also the amount paid to Burrhalter and a new men's coach. Can't we get an experienced men's coach for that?

Zero chance we hire someone whose coaching resume is 3 years with a U19 team imo. Not saying he wouldn’t do a great job. However, I don’t see US Soccer making such a move due to his limited coaching experience. I would take him over Berhalter btw.
May be all we can afford!

Policy is pay equity for men's and women's teams right?

May be all we can afford!

Policy is pay equity for men's and women's teams right?
You might be correct. However there’s a $4M bonus for making the round of 16. If you believe an elite coach is needed to make it out of our group then the extra money seems to be well spent.

So I know USSF has a pay equity policy, but what if Nike came in and told Jurgen Klopp, "If you coach the USMNT, we've got a $10M endorsement deal for you over the life of your contract"...would that work? I'm sure there are some USSF/USMNT sponsors who would gladly fork over that $ for the endorsement and the possible extra eyeballs on TVs when the USMNT plays.

Can Howard convince US Soccer to hire someone with the cache as Klopp? Might be a better question :)
I don't know. I know there are a good number of former USMNT players looking to move on. One of the talking heads, maybe Twellman or Stu Holden or maybe Lalas put it simply as not seeing enough progress from '22 until now and it not being good enough with everyone point to '26 as the point where US soccer will make a leap forward or just be the best team in CONCACAF.

Change is needed. Reminds me of Haith situation in some ways.

Lots of smoke that Berhalter has been canned.
Unfortunately I've heard that Cherundolo is the likely replacement. As a poster on IG called it, "Great, we get Berhalter 3.0" . Can't argue with that logic and if it's Cherundolo, the US is going to struggle to get out of the group stage a home WC and US soccer is going to take a devastating hit.

But the Klopp rumors still persist as well and that there are folks gauging the interest behind the scenes and Klopp has been making some posts about his appreciation for the passion of US Soccer fans.

Lots of smoke that Berhalter has been canned.
Why did they have to good something dramatic that they would announce at a certain time? It seems ridiculous. Just can him and get it over with. What the hell do you think your press conference is going to change? Cindy Parlow is not good. Not good at all. This entire thing is a debacle and we are heading into the biggest tournament in US Soccer history.

Well Greggggg has been fired. Now we can discuss who might get hired. Klopp is going to be called and offered the job. Whether or not he takes it is a different story. Someone mentioned Patrick Vieira. I like the thought. Is the US bold enough to try to bring Marsch home? Hard pressed after Marsch's success in Copa with Canada. And I think Marsch might just want to flip some of the higher ups at the USSF the big old bird after getting passed over the last process.

IF they sack Burrhalter, one thing gives me hope that they'll choose a quality replacement. Those dim bulbs at the USSF had a moment of brilliant light when they hired Emma Hayes to coach the women. Can they duplicate this for the men? (on the other hand, the USSF hired Burrhalter........twice-Uh Oh!
They appear to be obsessing over name recognition — no surprise there

Which still doesn’t make sense Fernando Torres has plenty of name recognition idk why they don’t try for him probably bc they’re idiots

So I know USSF has a pay equity policy, but what if Nike came in and told Jurgen Klopp, "If you coach the USMNT, we've got a $10M endorsement deal for you over the life of your contract"...would that work? I'm sure there are some USSF/USMNT sponsors who would gladly fork over that $ for the endorsement and the possible extra eyeballs on TVs when the USMNT plays.
I’d take tuchel over klopp

He did alright playing at the international level. 2 euro’s & a World Cup, actually.

Unfortunately I've heard that Cherundolo is the likely replacement. As a poster on IG called it, "Great, we get Berhalter 3.0" . Can't argue with that logic and if it's Cherundolo, the US is going to struggle to get out of the group stage a home WC and US soccer is going to take a devastating hit.

But the Klopp rumors still persist as well and that there are folks gauging the interest behind the scenes and Klopp has been making some posts about his appreciation for the passion of US Soccer fans.
I actually am not totally disenchanted by cherundolo. If you’re going for a former USMNT llayer, might be as good as it gets although I’d still say if you consider cherubdolo you have to consider Michael Bradley but whatever

It’s so dumb to go after anyone that’s former USMNT because we simply haven’t had the success required to break the barrier.

Also, it should be noted that Greg’s ouster is not that dissimilar to Xavi’s at Barça… too soft on the players, emotional instability.

I wouldn’t say this lends credibility to the pro Cherundolo position.

Since we're quoting The Mandalorian we should probably encourage them to follow Yoda. "Do or Do Not, There is No Try...."

Reactions: TU_BLA
Reports are that Mauricio Pochettino is taking the USMNt job. This could be really good or be really bad. He was pretty good with Spurs and PSG, but his time with Chelsea Last season was not great but Chelsea also spends a lot of money on players that aren't quite that level. That said, with the caliber of players the US has right now that shouldn't be an issue. Pochettino might also be able to convince some more dual nationals to choose the US over say, a Berhalter.

Ooooo! This is big time! Hasn't signed yet but has agreed to becoming the MNT coach. Has there ever been a higher profile coach of our MNT? If he signs, I'll take back (most) of the nasty things I've said about the USSF.

I have no doubt he'll get our boys ready for '26.

Reactions: lawpoke87
Ooooo! This is big time! Hasn't signed yet but has agreed to becoming the MNT coach. Has there ever been a higher profile coach of our MNT? If he signs, I'll take back (most) of the nasty things I've said about the USSF.

I have no doubt he'll get our boys ready for '26.
Klinsmann was a pretty high profile guy. Klinsmann also didn't have nearly the amount of talent at his disposal that the US currently holds. I also think he was under some restrictions in terms of roster makeup and having to take x number of MLS guys. Berhalter didn't have those.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Klinsmann was a pretty high profile guy. Klinsmann also didn't have nearly the amount of talent at his disposal that the US currently holds. I also think he was under some restrictions in terms of roster makeup and having to take x number of MLS guys. Berhalter didn't have those.
Burrhalter perhaps didn't have the MLS requirement, he just loaded our rosters with them anyway. And played too many of them.

To top off this miserable week-end, the USA loses to the Canucks, 2-1. I thought we got rid of Burrhalter ball? And why does not Sargent start as center forward with Haji Wright on the right & Pulisic on the left. And will we ever find 2 or 3 center backs worth a flip in this very large country? Pochettino may not sign that contract after watching this performance. And the love affair with Balogun continues despite doing nothing for his club or country.

To top off this miserable week-end, the USA loses to the Canucks, 2-1. I thought we got rid of Burrhalter ball? And why does not Sargent start as center forward with Haji Wright on the right & Pulisic on the left. And will we ever find 2 or 3 center backs worth a flip in this very large country? Pochettino may not sign that contract after watching this performance. And the love affair with Balogun continues despite doing nothing for his club or country.
After Dest, Robinson, Pulisic? Do we believe anyone is above average? Musah, Reyna and Weah. When Mckennie is not fat and out of shape, maybe he?

Do we need a bit of self-reflection?

After Dest, Robinson, Pulisic? Do we believe anyone is above average? Musah, Reyna and Weah. When Mckennie is not fat and out of shape, maybe he?

Do we need a bit of self-reflection?
Lot of guys out and a temp coach so I take nothing from the game other than good GK play.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Lot of guys out and a temp coach so I take nothing from the game other than good GK play.
I thought the GK played exceptionally well. The GA were not his fault. Other than that there was little in the first 60 minutes that warranted any excitement. Weren't able to press, weren't able to win the ball in the middle 1/3, and out defenders looked slow. I know they're letting Ream finish his international career out on his terms but he's not going to be part of this group for 2026. I think it's going to be Chris Richards and CCV and the two of them will be playing at high levels in Europe. Richards has been excellent for Crystal Palace so far this season. CCV is a rock for Celtic. We'll be fine. For this game, no Dest and no Jedi so instantly there is no fear for the Canadians pushing and pressing up either wing. Scally and Lund played fine but they're not a threat to make a team pay for pushing too high and then losing possession. The 6 is the spot where we really miss Adams. Musah is a fine alternative but I don't think he's 100% comfortable in that role to be honest. Pulisic looked disinterested for the most part.

After the game, Stu Holden and Lalas called out the US players for a lack of leadership within the squad. It should be Ream and Pulisic with this group. I'm not going to panic yet. Let's get Poch in there and a couple of international windows under his belt. My guess is because we don't have a WCQ cycle this go around that he will use every int'l window for the A guys until 2026. No reason to play all these B-siders when it's apparent our primary 23 have a chemistry issue. August of 2025...if we're still seeing these issues I think we might have to turn our ire towards some of the players and figure out who the cancers are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT