ADVERTISEMENT

Berhalter’s replacement may not have been to Oklahoma,

RIP represalia

I.T.S. Redshirt Freshman
Silver Member
Jul 1, 2024
But he’s in Alcobendas, to be featured in San Blas.

If I’m USSF sporting director there is only 1 candidate to replace Berhalter. Fernando Torres. He just won a championship with atleti youth team & only weeks ago promoted to coach Atlético de Madrid B team. He seems to be Simeone’s successor, but Simeone isn’t going anywhere the next 2 years.

Torres speaks English. His style is based bc it’s championship based. Hang your hat on D, but hustle & play exciting, attacking football (incels, pay attention, this works on & off the field.)

Most importantly, his most qualifying factor: ES UN GOLEADOR! HE IS A GOALER! HE KNITS NET!!!

I believe he’d take the job if offered. I wouldn’t go to anyone else & id tell him I have no search firm not even one consultant. I’d even tell him he can stay coach at Atletico B.

This is the winning decision.

¡Aúpa atleti! ¡Aúpa U.S. men’s team!” Mira se lo rima ya

Last edited:
IF they sack Burrhalter, one thing gives me hope that they'll choose a quality replacement. Those dim bulbs at the USSF had a moment of brilliant light when they hired Emma Hayes to coach the women. Can they duplicate this for the men? (on the other hand, the USSF hired Burrhalter........twice-Uh Oh!

Last edited:
Zero chance we hire someone whose coaching resume is 3 years with a U19 team imo. Not saying he wouldn’t do a great job. However, I don’t see US Soccer making such a move due to his limited coaching experience. I would take him over Berhalter btw.

Fernando Torres? Has never managed at the international level. Zero chance. None. God, the opinions of people in soccer always amaze me. It is fun to listen to and make fun of. You are going to join TU_Bla in insanity.

The only move is to make the Godfather offer for Klopp 10M/year and houses in Atlanta, Aspen, NYC and Miami. This is the way.

Fernando Torres? Has never managed at the international level. Zero chance. None. God, the opinions of people in soccer always amaze me. It is fun to listen to and make fun of. You are going to join TU_Bla in insanity.

The only move is to make the Godfather offer for Klopp 10M/year and houses in Atlanta, Aspen, NYC and Miami. This is the way.

Do we have to offer 4 houses in kind to Miss Hayes, or are material goods an exception. That would be quite a raise for her.

$1.6 mill, and yes, the most she's ever made..even with all the success at the Chelsea women's team. I guess that is also the amount paid to Burrhalter and a new men's coach. Can't we get an experienced men's coach for that?

Zero chance we hire someone whose coaching resume is 3 years with a U19 team imo. Not saying he wouldn’t do a great job. However, I don’t see US Soccer making such a move due to his limited coaching experience. I would take him over Berhalter btw.
May be all we can afford!

Policy is pay equity for men's and women's teams right?

May be all we can afford!

Policy is pay equity for men's and women's teams right?
You might be correct. However there’s a $4M bonus for making the round of 16. If you believe an elite coach is needed to make it out of our group then the extra money seems to be well spent.

So I know USSF has a pay equity policy, but what if Nike came in and told Jurgen Klopp, "If you coach the USMNT, we've got a $10M endorsement deal for you over the life of your contract"...would that work? I'm sure there are some USSF/USMNT sponsors who would gladly fork over that $ for the endorsement and the possible extra eyeballs on TVs when the USMNT plays.

Can Howard convince US Soccer to hire someone with the cache as Klopp? Might be a better question :)
I don't know. I know there are a good number of former USMNT players looking to move on. One of the talking heads, maybe Twellman or Stu Holden or maybe Lalas put it simply as not seeing enough progress from '22 until now and it not being good enough with everyone point to '26 as the point where US soccer will make a leap forward or just be the best team in CONCACAF.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT