ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Uniform Rule Change

TUMU

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Read about a rule change beginning this season.
NCAA is allowing players to wear numbers 6 through 9.
Didn’t know they were not allowed before the rule change.
Why were they not allowed?
I counting on some of "You Know It Alls", lol, to tell me why.
Thanks.

Old rule was when a foul called, player had to raise his hand when he was charged with the foul. If he didn't, technical foul.

With refs have only 5 fingers on each hand, hence, when signalling the foul, no more than 5 could be a number of each digit.

It will be a two ref job now - Foul on #88!!! one ref hold out hands straight with 5 fingers on each hand extended, second ref standing lovinglingly behind the first almost like the scene from Ghost and puts his arms around the first ref and extends 3 fingers next to the hands of the first ref.

It will be a two ref job now - Foul on #88!!! one ref hold out hands straight with 5 fingers on each hand extended, second ref standing lovinglingly behind the first almost like the scene from Ghost and puts his arms around the first ref and extends 3 fingers next to the hands of the first ref.
So now they're supposed to go close enough to the scorer's table that it shouldn't be a problem calling the foul out and holding up 2 hands to signal a number. The 3 man crew allows that as you still have 2 to address the players and get them set up.

# 6 might reappear. Russell or #9 Pettit

Refs will now be required to be able to count past 5...

If not, they will be required to take a Kindergarten end of the year exam!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT