ADVERTISEMENT

Barrett/Rocha Update?

GoldenCaneKC

I.T.S. Junior
Jul 3, 2006
Both got drafted, I know Akiel got cut by Orlando City. Last I heard, Tony was in Sporting KC's training camp. Anyone know what their current situation is?

Sorry with late reply. Ive been in trial. I didnt see the need to post the bad news on Barrett. But with his body type and needing an international roster spot, his chances of sticking with an MLS team from the get-go were low. They waived him almost as soon as they signed him -- Feb 10 or 12, iirc. He had a good combine and got his chance, but it is just too crowded at Orlando right now with too many unknowns along the spine after Okugo and Kaka.

Rocha signed with USL Austin Aztex a couple of weeks ago. Lost track of his progress there. They are familiar with him and comfortable with his skill set. They are affiliated with Crew FC in MLS (that's the Columbus Crew to you MLS 1.0ers). He doesnt have the build or skill set at first glance to play defender at the MLS Level. Getting a look back there is going to take awhile. In the meantime, the Crew is stacked in the midfield, including players who are younger with more experience, so a call up anytime soon is probably far fetched. Will Trapp, Kevan George, Tony Tchani, Frederico Higuain and more -- there's a lot of choices, experience, play making, and a lot of money tied up in the Crew midfield. As far as development depth that might give him an opportunity, Crew is paying a full roster spot for 17 year old Ben Swanson. So you figure moving up to Columbus is probably not going to happen unless there is a fire sale, a rash of injuries or both.

Still, Tony's got the motor and the head to do well anywhere if he works at it. Perhaps after a season in Austin another opportunity will open up.

This post was edited on 3/20 10:13 AM by HuffyCane

Haven't been on the boards in a while. Sorry. Barrett signed with JAX a few weeks ago if you missed press coverage of it. He scored in an exhibition match two weeks ago.He was an unused sub in the first match of the season.

This post was edited on 4/8 12:29 PM by HuffyCane

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT