ADVERTISEMENT

Autocracies more trustworthy than democracies?

The survey doesn't attempt to track how people in the US feel about other countries, but rather how people in the country feel about their own government. In that regard it's sad but not surprising the see the downward trend in the US. Apparently China's economic gains and nationalist fervor are sufficient that most Chinese are content to settle for restrictive government control. Whether or not we would do it is another issue.

My bad. I worked with the head of missions at ORU and he always made it sound as though they were not allowed to plant churches in China and Chinese nationals were not allowed to join new churches there. Any mission work was done for transplants only. But he may be partially right in that evangelicalism is not allowed as China only recognizes (and allows) the Catholic church, and Protestantism (which can be wide reaching or narrow depending on how it is defined) along with 2 eastern religions and Islam.

I'll eat that one. But Marx definitely pushed that religion has no place in well functioning societies (i.e. communist societies). Again, China's economic principles may be communist but the government is more of a military dictatorship.
I’m not arguing that there is “free” religion in China as it is regulated by the communist regime. I believe they officially recognize five religions. There are many other unapproved religious groups in the country but they obviously at risk. Certainly not anything we see in Europe or the US

We can already see what happens when trade relations with China are strained or slow down. If we chose to cut relations due to their human rights violations, we would have an economic meltdown at home. It’s a deal with the devil.

No one wants to go along with it, but we hold our nose and keep the status quo for our own selfish benefit, hoping that some shared wealth will help them develop into a less despotic state. Hopefully some of Europe feels the same way about us.
And for all of the politicians here who claim to be pro-US business, they don't do a damn thing to incentivize buying American. One of the centerpieces of Trump's 2016 campaign was keeping American manufacturing jobs in America, which the central part of the country devoured. And less than a year after he is inaugurated, the Carrier plant in Indiana where we were inundated with photos of Trump and "pro-American manufacturing" was shuttered and ops moved to Mexico. Right now you've got GOP Reps going nuts that the KN95/N95 masks they were given are stamped "Made in China" while snapping the picture and tweeting it out from their iPhone. And they tout companies like Hobby Lobby and Wal Mart as "great American companies symbolic of the American dream" who've gotten great and rich peddling cheap goods from near slave labor in China, Malaysia, Thailand, etc. And we know the reason is because in the US the economy bases itself on whether or not shareholders are making money, not on the workers.

Apparently China's economic gains and nationalist fervor are sufficient that most Chinese are content to settle for restrictive government control. Whether or not we would do it is another issue.
Over here it depends on which side is in power as to whether people would accept it or not...

In China, you accept it or you disappear... the leftist CCP controls the police, the military, the media, and they have no legal opposition...

I liken their polls to the ones my managers used to provide at the office. The one where you said everything was cool because you didnt want to get fired. Nothing is anonymous.

I might argue the end was when Europe decided with the help of the US to become energy dependent on Putin. Europe is in a truly no win situation. Stand up to Putin’s aggression and freeze to death seems to be the current status.
I think Europe made some decisions based on Trump's alienating them, and them not feeling secure in depending on us to stand with them. But that may just be my own delusion. I may be simplifying it too much, but with our help and leadership, they eventually enacted joint sanctions with the US in the Crimean Crisis of 2014. They don't seem to be willing to support those types of actions related to the Ukrainian situation. I think many things have contributed to this lack of willingness, but one of the first reasons(in my mind) was the push back they got from the US during Trump's tenure, and his support of Putin.

I don’t see much of a “Trump effect” in the current situation. European countries disagree with the proper course of action regarding the RussIa - Ukraine conflict. Germany is even blocking arms from other countries from going to Ukraine. Germany is an interesting read. Political factions within the country disagree on the proper course of action. Supply arms? Supply only defensive arms? Supply no arms? Not used to seeing Germany as pacifist but that appears to be their current position. Doesn’t appear much support currently for the Ukraine.

I don’t see much of a “Trump effect” in the current situation. European countries disagree with the proper course of action regarding the RussIa - Ukraine conflict. Germany is even blocking arms from other countries from going to Ukraine. Germany is an interesting read. Political factions within the country disagree on the proper course of action. Supply arms? Supply only defensive arms? Supply no arms? Not used to seeing Germany as pacifist but that appears to be their current position. Doesn’t appear much support currently for the Ukraine.
Their economic prosperity relies on Natty Gas reliability from the East. It's unfortunate but Russia has them by the balls like China has us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT