ADVERTISEMENT

Athletic program goals

drboobay

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
I suspect that some of our differing reactions to our football results comes from differing views on what our performance goals should be for the football program.

I am a big proponent of specific goals. They should be achievable, but challenging. So I would not throw out "win a national championship in the next five years" because that's not even a good stretch goal. But I think we need them, that they should be exciting for both the fan base and the team, and that plans should build around acheivement of the top level goals. I will put in three categories, including the athletic department, football, and men's basketball. I am going to focus on the on field performance goals here and associated outcomes. I realize that's not the whole story, but if I were putting together goal plans for the AD, football coach, and basketball coach, this would certainly be a key category of performance. It's my main interest as a fan too.

Athletic Department
Find or maintain a conference home with attractive opponents such as Memphis, Tulane, SMU, Colorado State. Accordingly, avoid getting stuck in a conference with directional state schools and low performing athletic departments.
Increase our conference payout.
Schedule autonomy conference opponents that provide Tulsa with a good opportunity to win across athletic programs.

Football
Win a conference title within five years.
Play in a bowl game against an autonomy conference opponent within three years; this implies winning or near the top of the conference.
Improve our on the field record each year.
Beat an autonomy conference team in the next five years.

Basketball
NCAA tournament appearance within the next three years.
NCAA tournament win within the next five years.
Conference championship (regular season or tournament) in the next five years.
Autonomy conference win within the next two years.

These goals will naturally lead to other objectives to facilitate them, such as lobbying, NIL, facility improvements. etc. They focus energy in the right areas. They can also energize fans and donors. If I were solicited to be part of a program to acheive these kinds of goals, I would be much more willing to donate, even though a big donation for me would be a thousand dollars rather than a million. You can also readily see if you are on track.

You would of course tie staff compensation to these kinds of goals. It could be incentive plans rather than punitive measures. We certainly have incentive plans tied to business growth in my organization.

Are we approaching athletics this way? I would certainly hope so, but I have need seen any evidence of it publicly. Again, I am not saying other goals are unimportant. Just that these goals are essential along with the others.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.