ADVERTISEMENT

assistant coaching changes?

aTUfan

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Apr 18, 2011
la la land
We lost our OC and an oc assistant. we didn't seem to suffer much after watching the bowl game.

rumored replacements? Any other changes?

I thought our offensive calls were better than they had been with the guys who just left. Monty can handle the offensive side of things, the defense needs a serious overhaul. Can't see it going anywhere but up at this point.

He's in a bind with Norwood now. He brought him in from Baylor and he is using the same prevent defense that Baylor fans hated. Third and 8 and coverage is at 15 yards. The commentators questioned that several times last night. Maybe Norwood is doing it due to our lack of speed and doesn't want to get beat deep but Baylor had speed and he did the same thing there which frustrated many.

Keep Young and fire Norwood might be better in the long run. Hire a young, good defensive coach that recruits well. Have your best defensive coach/recruiter be the assistant DC, whether it's the new guy, or somebody already on staff. Hire a good QB coach, and make the best candidate on the offensive staff as an official or unofficial assistant OC to HC & OC Montgomery. Maybe keep it this way, until Montgomery feels like he has found a protege, and feels comfortable turning over the OC position to that protege, the same way Briles did to Montgomery. You throw the dual OC & DC setup out the back door in a restructuring/overhaul of the coaching staff. Maybe that clarifies the vision of the staff? What does anybody think about this?

One thing's for certain, this team's turned the corner offensively under Monty. Our special teams and defense now require attention. Defense needs fundamentals. Mudoh was our only solid tackler, need guys who understand how to bring down an opponent in the open field. Saban coaches players how to do it at Alabama, turns them from good into great players.

Does Bama have a young buck defensive position coach that is ready to make the jump to a defensive coordinator???

Dunno Sepp, I would doubt it. We likely couldn't afford such personnel anyway. But they are a strong case for how strong defensive coaching can manifest itself in the players' fundamentals.

I'm just thinking his defensive philosophy seems to have flaws. Doesn't matter whether he has the athletes or not, he gives the receivers too much of a cushion. A better solution(after we get the athletes), is for Montgomery and Bill Young to put their foot down, and insist to Norwood that we try not giving so much of cushion, and tighten up the DB's little bit.

I think our defensive problems are talent based, not scheme based.

That's what i think also. The big cushion was more because we were speed disadvantaged compared to the opponent WR.

That's what i think also. The big cushion was more because we were speed disadvantaged compared to the opponent WR.

I thought that too until I watched the Baylor-Illinois bowl game from a few years back. Baylor 's DB's had terrific speed but gave huge cushions on 3rd downs......... But he is a great guy and obviously a close friend of Montgomery. Unfortunately I don't expect much change here.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I'm just thinking his defensive philosophy seems to have flaws. Doesn't matter whether he has the athletes or not, he gives the receivers too much of a cushion. A better solution(after we get the athletes), is for Montgomery and Bill Young to put their foot down, and insist to Norwood that we try not giving so much of cushion, and tighten up the DB's little bit.

A little diversion with this subject, but I remember the old coaching cliche "Don't think X's and O's, think "jimmy's and Joe's". I always thought that was pretty clever way of saying the players are usually more important in winning games than the strategy's coaches employ.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT