ADVERTISEMENT

Are we really better

TUPond

I.T.S. Sophomore
Dec 5, 2003
We've beaten an overrated WSU and struggled ever since. Same problems as last year. It would not surprise me if we lose at OSU and ORU. If Haith can't get it done with this group he will never get it done. This is a real buzzkiller.

I sadly sat through today's display of a good team, UALR, and a poor team, TU. Our free throw woes never end. Our offensive rebounding was a no show. Our loooooong shooting droughts continue. We couldn't handle their defense. We played ok in the first half, but came out of the locker room "out of gas", no energy, no nothing.

Another season of mediocrity with an over rated, overpaid coach!

The sky is falling, run for your lives.
Even in the first half we could not shoot. This game should have ended early. The good news is next year we will have Haith players and I suspect much better shooting team. We may n to have the speed that is there now but I am not sure it helps much hen our inside game is so irrelevant

We lost 2 recruiting classes. When Manning left (and we lost Wilbekin (sp?) --- that kid is a freak stud BB player. And, Haith's first class sucked BIG TIME.

Jury returns next year. I have no hope.

We need a young up and comer who has an insane level of FIRE IN THE BELLY coaching Tulsa. That is the type of coach that usually does really well for us.

Finally, Rashad does not need to play. He provides nothing inside, so may as well play Birt more. Nothing to lose inside and better outside 3 I suppose.

Still can't get over how :crap:ty of a free throw team we are. Just brutal.

11 - 18 free throws & 9 - 29 for 3 point shots...

When did Haith start shooting free throws and 3 point shots?

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Haith knew we needed a shooter who could jump in right away and contribute. He signed Birt who is fearless but very streaky. So the jury is out for a while on that move.

Haith knew we needed a shooter who could jump in right away and contribute. He signed Birt who is fearless but very streaky. So the jury is out for a while on that move.
I have no problems with Haith's coaching but am very concerned about his recruiting Even for next year, it looks like many recruits are having a very nice senior season but he still has no true inside guys lined up. TU has a great story for recruiting in 2015/16. Strong possibility of playing time against some very good conference teams and excellent TV exposure.

Haith is starting to feel like an expensive version of Wojick, except Haith isn't an a$$@ole so at least that's better.

To paraphrase the great Denny Green (old Vikings and Cardinals coach) post game meltdown, Haith is who we thought he was. There was a reason he was about to get run out of Missouri.

The good news is that he has shown the ability to coach other guy's players in the past. He may figure out how to get this group to the big tournament. The bad news is that he has not shown the ability to sustain success or consistently recruit. Things could get pretty rough over the next few years especially if this season does not turn out well.

To paraphrase the great Denny Green (old Vikings and Cardinals coach) post game meltdown, Haith is who we thought he was. There was a reason he was about to get run out of Missouri.

The good news is that he has shown the ability to coach other guy's players in the past. He may figure out how to get this group to the big tournament. The bad news is that he has not shown the ability to sustain success or consistently recruit. Things could get pretty rough over the next few years especially if this season does not turn out well.
Not really fair in the case of Missouri not enough time to determine if he could have had long term success. . Mizzou fans are nuts still think they are living during Norm Stewart's era.

GO TU!!!!

I think it was obvious before he left that they were going to be horrible the next year. I believe that is why he left. He knew he wasn't going to survive the next season. Of course, I guess he could have turned it around after a year or two.

No big guys? The transfer is a HUGE upgrade to what is playing today. Also, if you cannot win with this group? This group with the exception of Woodard are not BB players. Great athletes but not great players. This group went to the NCAA tourney by going on a run and beating bad people. Haith is recruiting players and the problem is we have to wait till this group graduates. I do think that this group can win but they have to get better on the offensive side and Harrison has to learn to play under control.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
No big guys? The transfer is a HUGE upgrade to what is playing today. Also, if you cannot win with this group? This group with the exception of Woodard are not BB players. Great athletes but not great players. This group went to the NCAA tourney by going on a run and beating bad people. Haith is recruiting players and the problem is we have to wait till this group graduates. I do think that this group can win but they have to get better on the offensive side and Harrison has to learn to play under control.
I've never seen so many bad free throw shooters on one team ! How you could play basketball all your life and be so inept at freethrows is unanswerable. My son was better by the age of 10.

Wait Red Dirt is the optimistic, sunny voice? WHAT?!?! I saw a Dirt post and thought "you know there's death in the air when the vultures start circling." Then I saw that post?!

Reactions: bluegold70
Wait Red Dirt is the optimistic, sunny voice? WHAT?!?! I saw a Dirt post and thought "you know there's death in the air when the vultures start circling." Then I saw that post?!
Yep. RedDirt also posted a positive, coherent post in the Alley. Someone has hacked his account.

Same coaches, virtually same players, no pure or consistent shooters or free throwers, play tough defense when they feel like it(???)so.....sit back & enjoy 20 or so wins, 4th or 5th in AACK! & maybe a game or 2 in NIT.

Just remember this is the same core group that has started the last 3 seasons very slowly and the really turned it on come December and conference play. I fully expect the same thing to happen this year.

Just remember this is the same core group that has started the last 3 seasons very slowly and the really turned it on come December and conference play. I fully expect the same thing to happen this year.

I hope you're right Codie, but it's just unimaginable to me that a D1 player on a big stage can't bring it every game and every second of every game. I know I'm old school (and old) but I never thought of not giving it everything I had all the time. This team is not talented enough to take plays, minutes, games off. They need to bring it every game, like they did against WSU. If not, it will be a long year with the good conference teams like Cincy, UConn, SMU, Houston, Temple and Memphis. All those teams have improved. Have we?

I hope you're right Codie, but it's just unimaginable to me that a D1 player on a big stage can't bring it every game and every second of every game. I know I'm old school (and old) but I never thought of not giving it everything I had all the time. This team is not talented enough to take plays, minutes, games off. They need to bring it every game, like they did against WSU. If not, it will be a long year with the good conference teams like Cincy, UConn, SMU, Houston, Temple and Memphis. All those teams have improved. Have we?

I don't understand it either, I'm just trying to remain positive and look at how this same group has continuously started slow each season. I don't understand why, and it doesn't make sense. You're right I'd expect D1 athletes to be ready to go each and every game but this group as a whole (Shaq seemingly the only exception) just don't seem to play with the same consistent intensity early on in the season, IMO. I also agree this team, due to their poor shooting and FTs, can not at all afford to take anything off or can lose to anyone (see SEOSU last year).

Someone mentioned they had a players only meeting after the YOOLER loss. Hopefully that'll light a fire under them and we will see more of the Tulsa team who played WSU and not the Tulsa team we've seen since then.

Good thing that none of then were wrestlers, they would never get past the 1st period before they got their butts pinned!

Reactions: cmullinsTU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT