ADVERTISEMENT

AAC acknowledged error

The talk of pine tar reminds me of the stickum NFL players used to use. Some receivers and DBs would have the stuff dripping off their gloves and I’m surprised QBs were able to get the ball out of their hands after the first pass play
The NFL of the 70s can be summed up with a photo of Freddie Biletnikoff drenched in stickum and a Marlboro Red danglin’

Wasn't it Mike Haynes of the Oakland Raiders that literally intercepted a pass because it stuck to the back side of his hand because of all the stick-um he was wearing.

I don't remember anything about the '72 summer games. I was like 6 months old. I've only seen the footage of the game and they usually only show the last few seconds.

I was about 9 at the time and remember it as the first time I heard my father cuss at the TV.

The first time I heard him cuss in public was at Bill Yeoman, but that’s another story.

I don't remember anything about the '72 summer games. I was like 6 months old. I've only seen the footage of the game and they usually only show the last few seconds.

As for the George Brett thing...I never understood how pine tar would or could help a hitter in that situation. It was a pretty stupid rule TBH. I wasn't a fan of the Yankees or the Royals but I always remember Brett flying out of the dugout at Yankee Stadium. The 80s were the absolute best for umpire arguments. Earl Weaver, Billy Martin, Whitey Herzog and I'm sure there are others I don't remember the names of.

Lou Piniella and Hal McRae. Probably find on You Tube.

Lou Piniella and Hal McRae. Probably find on You Tube.
Even before them. Piniella was a player for the Yankees during the time I am referencing. Maybe Ralph Houk. The Pirates manager was never cheated in an argument either...I can picture him but can't quite remember the name (and I'm not talking Leyland, before him even when Tekulve and Pops, and Madlock, and they had the oval yellow caps with black rings around them...the We Are Family Pirates).

Reactions: TUMU
Wasn't the Pirates manager Dick Tanner or something like that? Dave Parker was always one of my faves. The Cobra would swing a sledgehammer in the on-deck circle and burn heaters in the dugout.

Reactions: TUMU and TU_BLA
Wasn't the Pirates manager Dick Tanner or something like that? Dave Parker was always one of my faves. The Cobra would swing a sledgehammer in the on-deck circle and burn heaters in the dugout.
Thanks for jogging my memory...it was Chuck Tanner who had the transition lenses in his glasses. People forget the whole We Are Family vibes with the late 70s/early 80s Pirates and how they had that rockstar mentality around the team. People tend to throw that type of stuff back to the 86 Bears but it started with the Pirates.

When I was a big time, slow pitch softball player in the mid 80's, our team name was the Pirates.
We had the hat, black and gold uniforms, white cleats. We were bad ass, and very good. We Are Family, played on the boom box before our games.
I still have the uniform, lol.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT