ADVERTISEMENT

AAC acknowledged error

Not everything needs a reply..... sometimes it’s best to say nothing at all. It was not pretty and it was not earned so a shut mouth so everyone moves on may be the best advice.
Are you referring that to me or Kelly ? I do think it was an ugly game , and we do need to move on and focus on Navy , but she does bring up a good point. We got screwed in those games and the conference didn’t even say anything . If ECU dwells on this all week, their season is over

Honestly I don’t even believe that decision can be called right or wrong. It depends on interpretation of what it means to “regain control” and one person’s interpretation can be different than another’s unless you put a more stringent definition to it. That wasn’t the worst missed call for ECU on the night so for the league to come out and talk about that one is just bull crap. Talk about taking away ECU’s catch or the ref missing the nose of the ball looking like it was in the ground on the 4th down catch... or just don’t talk about anything at all like you did all those times Tulsa got screwed.
Don’t say that calls of interpretation were wrong unless you actually have a means to define your interpretation.

Kelly Hines-you go girl! Here's her lead sentence in The TW this morning. "After years of being on the other end of controversial calls, the University of Tulsa caught a series of breaks Friday..........." As in those dumba$$ Reece's PB Cup ads-"Not Sorry"!

Does anyone else see a resemblance in ECU & Cincy offences? Unfortunately, Ridder scrambles & runs it way better. Hope Gillespie & Co. learned a lot from playing ECU's two step (drop, that is).

Kendarin Ray was a monster. All over the field. And so was our baby French bulldog #90. Just ridiculous he blocks a FG. All hope the toe issue doesn't keep #23 out of the line-up. TU Football: 1st,last,always!

Last edited:
All hope the toe issue doesn't keep #23 out of the line-up. TU Football: 1st,last,always!
Time to move on, and hope the aforementioned hope.

Also hope the new officiating crew against Navy doesn't attempt a do a makeup call or two for the last officiating crew.

We need the Navy officiating crew to be sequestered until the kickoff.

Tulsarising Im not referring to you at all. I think the best thing may to just move on. We are not going to move up in the rankings and we don’t need negative attention. The kids deserve more than that. Let’s put this in the rearview mirror and on to the next!
Very true friend! Let’s win the conference!

Reactions: Sbellini
I thought he had regained control, as the ball was cradled back into his lower abdomen area at the time his knee went down. Just because the ball is not high and tight does not mean he did not have control. By the time the ball came out of his possession, his knee was down. Sure it was a close call, but for the conference to come in the next day and say it was incorrect seems arbitrary and negligent.

I thought he had regained control, as the ball was cradled back into his lower abdomen area at the time his knee went down. Just because the ball is not high and tight does not mean he did not have control. By the time the ball came out of his possession, his knee was down. Sure it was a close call, but for the conference to come in the next day and say it was incorrect seems arbitrary and negligent.
That’s what I’m saying , this whole thing is insane , where they close calls? Yes they were, but to say the game was rigged like so Tulsa could win is beyond ridiculous

Agree.
They never came out and said jack about UH having 14/15 guys on the field when we did a quick snap inside the 5 with time expiring to catch them and they didn’t call it and let time expire. A TD would’ve won that game.

Memphis is pissed too. They had a TE held then interferes with in end zone on a 4th play that wasn’t called. Cost them a TD and chance to stay in the game.

Weren’t these AAC officials? What is the conference doing to fix this?

Geez, you think if maybe our coach didn't make shirts and instead asked our AD to follow conference procedure maybe we'd get a better response?

Our coach has shown no discipline and a lack of focus his entire tenure, it is constantly reflected in his team on the field.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Geez, you think if maybe our coach didn't make shirts and instead asked our AD to follow conference procedure maybe we'd get a better response?

Our coach has shown no discipline and a lack of focus his entire tenure, it is constantly reflected in his team on the field.

I agree with this. We talk WAY too much garbage out there. And alot of our guys are too easy to needle. That’s all on Monty trying to be the “cool dad” who buys the beer for all the under-age kids.

I love that we’re winning but I don’t have to like some of our characteristics per se.

According to The TW, the AACK! sent their mea culpa to both schools on the TK alleged fumble (which, from what I saw, was the least aggregious of the calls). I don't recall ever hearing of the AACK! doing this. I hope that made them feel all warm, fuzzy, honest & forthcoming.

If notice was sent only to the schools involved, someone leaked it to ESPN which ran the alleged screw-up on their newsy bottom of the screen on all their affiliates all day long, as if TU was the bad guy in all of this for beating them. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
We are better because we "talk smack" The kids enjoy playing.

The AAC routinely acknowledges bad calls internally. Coaches send in film every week disputing calls and they get responses. Only thing notable about this is they (ECU I guess?) released it publicly. If that’s the case that’s embarrassing for ECU and I wouldn’t think the conference would be too happy about it.

Weren’t these AAC officials? What is the conference doing to fix this?
They were AAC officials. It appears to be a mixed East West crew. And they may have been part of the problem. The referee, Calabrese, has ties to UCONN, and is otherwise usually competent. He actually teaches at the NFL ref training camps iirc. He was on the field for the Navy game as I recall. I’ve got no problem with him. He’s never Ed Hightowered us, or anyone else, as I recall. My UCF booster friends can not stand him and blame him for unnecessary delays that undercuts when they want to run tempo. They may have a point there. His replay reviews and referee huddles do seem to take a lot of time.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Honestly I don’t even believe that decision can be called right or wrong. It depends on interpretation of what it means to “regain control” and one person’s interpretation can be different than another’s unless you put a more stringent definition to it. That wasn’t the worst missed call for ECU on the night so for the league to come out and talk about that one is just bull crap. Talk about taking away ECU’s catch or the ref missing the nose of the ball looking like it was in the ground on the 4th down catch... or just don’t talk about anything at all like you did all those times Tulsa got screwed.
Don’t say that calls of interpretation were wrong unless you actually have a means to define your interpretation.
The catch wasn't a catch by the rules and the definition of having a foot in bounds. They explained the toe-heel thing on the telecast and it's literally written into the rules as well as notes for interpretation for the rules. That call was 100% correct.

Johnson's catch looked odd but all they have to say is the WR had control of the ball and didn't deem that the ground helped him gain control. You see it every week in the NFL and my understanding is the muster for catch or not on this rule are the same between the NFL and college.

The fumble is the only one that was questionable in terms of the interpretation. I thought it was a fumble as I don't think TK ever demonstrated he had regained full control. But I can see how someone may have interpreted that he momentarily regained full control and the contact with the ground jarred it out again.

The last few months has been a nightmare for video replay in a lot of sports. Soccer has been awful with VAR, especially EPL. NFL and college football have had their issues. NBA had their issues too. We also tend to forget that the ruling on the field is assumed to be correct in all instances and only if there is clear visual evidence to rule otherwise, then you stick with the call on the field (again, they messed up the fumble one as they didn't seem to use that guideline to make the overturn ruling).

Reactions: tulsahurricane0530
The catch wasn't a catch by the rules and the definition of having a foot in bounds. They explained the toe-heel thing on the telecast and it's literally written into the rules as well as notes for interpretation for the rules. That call was 100% correct.

Johnson's catch looked odd but all they have to say is the WR had control of the ball and didn't deem that the ground helped him gain control. You see it every week in the NFL and my understanding is the muster for catch or not on this rule are the same between the NFL and college.

The fumble is the only one that was questionable in terms of the interpretation. I thought it was a fumble as I don't think TK ever demonstrated he had regained full control. But I can see how someone may have interpreted that he momentarily regained full control and the contact with the ground jarred it out again.

The last few months has been a nightmare for video replay in a lot of sports. Soccer has been awful with VAR, especially EPL. NFL and college football have had their issues. NBA had their issues too. We also tend to forget that the ruling on the field is assumed to be correct in all instances and only if there is clear visual evidence to rule otherwise, then you stick with the call on the field (again, they messed up the fumble one as they didn't seem to use that guideline to make the overturn ruling).
My thoughts exactly. The only questionable review was the fumble. I dont understand the controversy over the ECU catch or the Johnson catch. People still dont realize that the ball can touch the ground as long as the receiver seems to have control, which in my opinion, he did. And the ECU catch is just an obvious call. If he would of tapped the toe, or slid the toe across, it's a different call. Now the fumble, I think ECU has a right to be upset about. I still think it was the wrong call, looked to me the ball was clearly still loose. But I'm not complaining. On to the next game

I thought it looked like TK’s knee was down when before the ball came loose.

Reactions: TULSARISING
The problem is it was called a fumble. Wasn't enough evidence to overturn the call.
I agree. We benefitted from a bad overturn. It's OK....it happens every week somewhere in sports. A bad replay benefits a team when it really shouldn't have. You either accept replay or you accept a dozen bad naked eye calls a week. Which one do you want? I'd prefer the replay system because 98% of the time they're going to get it right.

What did this say?
They got screwed. The fans comments to the article blamed Tulsa, the officials, the AAC, etc... ECU win was “stolen“ and they are really 2 and 0 on the road. They want a rematch in Greenville.

• Haha
Reactions: TU 1978
They got screwed. The fans comments to the article blamed Tulsa, the officials, the AAC, etc... ECU win was “stolen“ and they are really 2 and 0 on the road. They want a rematch in Greenville.
It is what it is. They're not going to win the conference or even be contenders for a top 5 spot in conference. Unlike 2016 where the 2 screw jobs against us cheated us out of a division title with a chance to play for the conference title. Perspective and context folks.

Talk about a double standard. When we complained about very questionable calls in the past we were just told to sit down and shut up.

ECU seems to think they deserve preferential treatment for some reason even though this kind of stuff happens all the time.

Did anyone catch the end of Arkansas/Auburn a few weeks ago. There’s no way that one was a forward pass.

Reactions: TU 1978
Careful what they wish for , TU didn’t even practice for ECU outside last week, that rematch might be an a$$ whooping to shut them up

Did anyone catch the end of Arkansas/Auburn a few weeks ago. There’s no way that one was a forward pass.
You are correct. The problem with that play was the whistle was blown right away and players stopped. With no one in possession of the ball at the time the whistle was blown, the play is dead. I don't remember how much time was left on the clock and think there should have been a run off. There are mistakes all the time about interpretations of the rules and it's much easier to go back and review the rule and written rule to see what would have been the correct application. Unfortunately you've got to live with the result....I don't think I've ever seen something gone back and replayed WITH THE EXCEPTION of the George Brett pine tar incident. The arbiter in that case said the HR should have counted so the game resumed from that moment I believe some weeks later. I've also never seen someone's eyes literally almost pop out their head from the anger.

The most famous travesty of this sort was the 1972 Olympic basketball gold medal game between the US and USSR where the Soviets were allowed to replay the final second of the game 3 times until they finally hit a game winner. It is my understanding members of the US basketball team have still refused to accept the silver medal.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
You are correct. The problem with that play was the whistle was blown right away and players stopped. With no one in possession of the ball at the time the whistle was blown, the play is dead. I don't remember how much time was left on the clock and think there should have been a run off. There are mistakes all the time about interpretations of the rules and it's much easier to go back and review the rule and written rule to see what would have been the correct application. Unfortunately you've got to live with the result....I don't think I've ever seen something gone back and replayed WITH THE EXCEPTION of the George Brett pine tar incident. The arbiter in that case said the HR should have counted so the game resumed from that moment I believe some weeks later. I've also never seen someone's eyes literally almost pop out their head from the anger.
The most famous travesty of this sort was the 1972 Olympic basketball gold medal game between the US and USSR where the Soviets were allowed to replay the final second of the game 3 times until they finally hit a game winner. It is my understanding members of the US basketball team have still refused to accept the silver medal.
That pine tar incident was the proper call. George took batting practice off Goose. Easy money. Nine times out of 10, Goose gives up a gopher ball.

Re 72: Iba is to blame for that. We got hosed but if Iba isn’t the coach and we push the ball, those dumbass troll farmers in Russia get thumped by 30.

Reactions: HuffyCane
That pine tar incident was the proper call. George took batting practice off Goose. Easy money. Nine times out of 10, Goose gives up a gopher ball.

Re 72: Iba is to blame for that. We got hosed but if Iba isn’t the coach and we push the ball, those dumbass troll farmers in Russia get thumped by 30.
I don't remember anything about the '72 summer games. I was like 6 months old. I've only seen the footage of the game and they usually only show the last few seconds.

As for the George Brett thing...I never understood how pine tar would or could help a hitter in that situation. It was a pretty stupid rule TBH. I wasn't a fan of the Yankees or the Royals but I always remember Brett flying out of the dugout at Yankee Stadium. The 80s were the absolute best for umpire arguments. Earl Weaver, Billy Martin, Whitey Herzog and I'm sure there are others I don't remember the names of.

The talk of pine tar reminds me of the stickum NFL players used to use. Some receivers and DBs would have the stuff dripping off their gloves and I’m surprised QBs were able to get the ball out of their hands after the first pass play

Reactions: HuffyCane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT