ADVERTISEMENT

A subject I have in depth experience with.

Gmoney4WW

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Jul 4, 2007
McConnel broke up when talking about Senator Alexander as he retired. He has been lambasted for breaking up before, and labeled a cryer. So has Boehner and Voinovich who passed away in 2016. There have been a few more congressmen who have had the same label placed on them. I don't understand why it is not brought up about their age. I have had Pseudobulbar affect due to my having had a stroke(from a tbi) at a young age. It stuck with me for many years, but is less pronounced now. It's when you laugh/cry/get mad, for no justifiable reason.

I saw my dad go through it a few years before he died. There was no evident brain injury like a stroke with him, or dimentia going on, but I don't think there has to be. (It occurs with TBI's, Strokes, Concussions, Parkinsons, Alzheimers, other dimentia diseases, MS, ALS, etc) And since it has only been studied very recently.(symptoms were noticed in the 1800's, but not fully described until the 1940's, and not fully studied until this century) I feel fairly secure in saying it has not been studied enough to realize that it affects older people who have not had any of these diseases or events happen to them. Also, if they don't actually have Psuedobulbar affect, they have symptoms that are identical to this affect.

Essentially what I am saying is that these Congressmen who have been criticized for crying, have a neurological condition that they cannot control, brought on by age. So I cannot comprehend the criticism they receive, and the derogatory labels as a cryer. It just makes no sense to criticize them for signs of ageing. We elect them because they are older, and optimally wiser, but we criticize them for a sign of ageing that in no way affects their ability to be a congressman. I just wanted to get that statement out there, in light of McConnel breaking down during a tribute to his close friend Senator Alexander.

Thanks. Sorry you had to go through that.
Luckily it happened when I was young,(24) and by body was able to recover, even though it took a long time.(15 years or so) I have about 95% of the brain power that I had before the injury, with some mild aphasia and memory problems that are still with me. I ain't gonna get any better, but that's ok. Seeing as how it initially took out about 50% of my thinking ability. At that point I was suicidal for the one and only time in my life. Couldn't deal with losing that much of my mental powers. I stuck it out, and here I am. Yeah, baby!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT