ADVERTISEMENT

🏀 Recruiting 4-star SG Friedrichsen talks TU and recruiting

Has he given any reasons as to why he decommited from OSU?

He wants to play at Tulsa!!!

At least that's my hope.

I'm thinking he wasn't a big fan of our previous head coach, which is easy to believe.

We may not get him, but he will probably think better of Konkol and staff than Haith.

Great player, great family…. Would be fantastic to have him here, he will successful wherever he goes.

Totally agree
It would be exciting if he commits!

I totally understand that he was or is waiting to make the best decision for himself, but I'm not so sure anymore. Several of our new players have moved into their apartments on campus, and I would assume that this is happening at other schools as well. I would think "now" is the time to start building chemistry with teammates and coaches as opposed to selecting where to attend school.

I totally understand that he was or is waiting to make the best decision for himself, but I'm not so sure anymore. Several of our new players have moved into their apartments on campus, and I would assume that this is happening at other schools as well. I would think "now" is the time to start building chemistry with teammates and coaches as opposed to selecting where to attend school.
You do know he’s only a junior and has 1 more year of high school?

when haith was here, he couldn't intrest local kids. Now that he is gone, he is recruiting in our back yard, Just seems a little sleezy.

when haith was here, he couldn't intrest local kids. Now that he is gone, he is recruiting in our back yard, Just seems a little sleezy.
He simply didn't put in any effort into recruit local kids. Now that he's on Penny's staff he's required to go where the boss tells him to and/or go after what the boss wants. He's probably still not wanting to put in the effort and having some familiarity witht he Tulsa area kids is simply low hanging fruit.

He simply didn't put in any effort into recruit local kids. Now that he's on Penny's staff he's required to go where the boss tells him to and/or go after what the boss wants. He's probably still not wanting to put in the effort and having some familiarity witht he Tulsa area kids is simply low hanging fruit.
I'm sure he is not pleased having to do any road recruiting. He is above that. But he probably had some loose ends to tie up in Tulsa and got paid to come here as he recruited some locals.

Reactions: rusty-c
My guess is Penny is unaware of his laziness in recruiting.
And his laziness and/or unwillingness to develop his fr.
recruits.....We lost some good ones after their first year
because of that....

I'm glad all of that is behing us...
GO
:flags:!!

He simply didn't put in any effort into recruit local kids.
Careful. I brought this up when Haith was still here and was chastised on this board as not knowing what I was talking about. Assume this topic is no longer off limits since he’s no longer here?

Reactions: HuffyCane
because of that....
He’ll fit in well with Penny in that regard, it seemed to me Memphis has had a revolving door of players in recent years.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
My guess is Penny is unaware of his laziness in recruiting.
because of that....

He’ll fit in well with Penny in that regard, it seemed to me Memphis has had a revolving door of players in recent years.
In math, when you multiply two negatives, you get a
positive......In basketball, I don't think so.....This sounds
too much like a Chinese fire drill.....I assume they won't
have Brown around to do the X's & O's.....

The only thing that seems certain, is that they will now
be vulnerable to the "open corner three".....:)

In math, when you multiply two negatives, you get a
positive......In basketball, I don't think so.....This sounds
too much like a Chinese fire drill.....I assume they won't
have Brown around to do the X's & O's.....

The only thing that seems certain, is that they will now
be vulnerable to the "open corner three".....:)
They will lose a game or three in non con that will be embarrassing.

because of that....
This is @ least the second year in a row that Penny has
hired a notable has-been to coach his team for him...A
skill he is entirely incapable of himself.....His choices
leave more questions than answers....X's and O's and
player retention are certainly not among Frank's Fortes
(if he has any)....

Under the "portal", player retention has become very
difficult, and really even more critical that it was before....
Any coach that can start the next season with an
experienced team in this environment will really be
money ahead....

Konkol showed some skill in that respect in keeping the
core of what Haith left him almost intact, but he will
still be working with a very inexperienced squad...It will
be really interesting to see how this plays out for him
going forward,

You have to give credit to Haith for getting a couple of guys into the league but let's get real. His teams were nothing impressive. His in-game coaching was less than spectacular

wasn't he about to get fired at Missouri when we hired hm?
Not for his record but b/c they were about to be put on probation for improper benefits from boosters (same as Miami). However, once Haith got here he was essentially removed from any of the responsible parties allegations from the NCAA.

Not for his record but b/c they were about to be put on probation for improper benefits from boosters (same as Miami). However, once Haith got here he was essentially removed from any of the responsible parties allegations from the NCAA.
The way I saw it, the reasons were two fold. Might have been canned for record only, if he hadn't been canned for probation. Of course he took the job here to pre-empt firing if I remember correctly.

The way I saw it, the reasons were two fold. Might have been canned for record only, if he hadn't been canned for probation. Of course he took the job here to pre-empt firing if I remember correctly.
His firing wasn't imminent on the performance front at Mizzou but he was definitely a coach on the hot seat as their performance waned mightily after Pressey and English moved on.

Now the investigation may have given the AD (Alden?) and the high $$ boosters a little more ammo to push for replacement.

And I seem to think our convo on here when he was hired was it was curious that our "compliance toe the line" AD would hire a guy that was run out of Miami for their scandal and was being alleged for some of the same things at Mizzou.

The way I saw it, the reasons were two fold. Might have been canned for record only, if he hadn't been canned for probation. Of course he took the job here as a preemptive to firing if I remember correctly.
That was the grapevine at the time....Mike Anderson left him a wealth of talent,
and Haith did turn it into one 30 win season......BUT, it was all down hill from there....His
recruiting was much like it was here.....Some really good players, but not many seasons
where they jelled into really good teams......Too many times his teams got off to very
rough starts....They were virtually out of post-season contention before conference play
even began......

I'm excited that we are starting a new chapter with a new coaching staff, a new (mostly)
roster, and a new can-do attitude.....I would both hope and think this will be more fun
for everyone involved.....The players, coaches, fans, boosters, and the community.....

Last edited:
His firing wasn't imminent on the performance front at Mizzou but he was definitely a coach on the hot seat as their performance waned mightily after Pressey and English moved on.
Well said.....After losing Nolan, Tubby, and Self to well earned higher paying jobs (and
eventual national championships), many of us got the feeling that being a "stepping
stone" program for up and coming coaches was not a good thing.....After almost twenty
years of not being one, and having mostly mediocre coaches deliver mostly mediocre
teams, I'm more than ready to be one again!

It's my hope that Konkol&Co. will have the kind of success that will make them highly
sought after in 4 or 5 years....That would mean we would have seen some great basket-
ball, and would make our subsequent job opening much easier to fill.,..

If a great attitude and hard work can get it done, I think that's where we're headed....

Now the investigation may have given the AD (Alden?) and the high $$ boosters a little more ammo to push for replacement.

And I seem to think our convo on here when he was hired was it was curious that our "compliance toe the line" AD would hire a guy that was run out of Miami for their scandal and was being alleged for some of the same things at Mizzou.
Have you had conversations with the AD at Mizzou? You talk like your opinion is fact.

Reactions: TUMU
No, but if you read the StL paper there was definitely a lot of buzz about this very thing...where there's smoke....
there’s a legal marijuana store across the river in Illinois?

Looks like the same old same old. We can’t even made a local’s top 5 but Rice can.

Interesting........ All great academic schools except maybe Nebraska. TU's academics should be competitive with those but maybe he had a bad experience with TU during his high school career. Or maybe just a "get away" attitude.

Interesting........ All great academic schools except maybe Nebraska. TU's academics should be competitive with those but maybe he had a bad experience with TU during his high school career. Or maybe just a "get away" attitude.
Ironically, Nebraska and TU are both tied for #136 in the latest academic rankings. The rest are highly ranked private universities. Believe I read where at least one of his parents has ties to Nebraska.

Ironically, Nebraska and TU are both tied for #136 in the latest academic rankings. The rest are highly ranked private universities. Believe I read where at least one of his parents has ties to Nebraska.
I applied and got into both Rice and Northwestern but my heart was with TU mostly due to Nolan. And due to a full ride scholarship too I guess.

Back to the subject, this does PO me substantially.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT