ADVERTISEMENT

4-star big man talks Tulsa and recruiting -- story linked

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
4-star big man Rodney Miller, despite missing a chunk of the season with an injury, has become a priority for a number of college programs, including Tulsa. The 2016 prospect provides an update on his recruiting process and discusses his recent communication with Tulsa coaches...

More info:
premium.gif
Miller talks recruiting
https://tulsa.rivals.com/content.asp?highlight=tulsa&CID=1754808

Interesting that we are going up against Manning.
This post was edited on 4/8 3:50 PM by I.I.

Originally posted by ImaCanefan:
I thought for sure Manning would recruit us a big .
Hard to see where he developed those he inherited. Maybe it is easier to develop 4 and 5 star bigs at Kansas.

NM

This post was edited on 4/10 6:03 AM by Gold*

There is an assumption that because you can do it that you can teach it or recruit it. While some of the greats of the game make coaches, others do not. Some of the great coaches were either never players or were average players.

Look at TU. Glenn Dobbs a great player made a coach who revolutionized college football with passing. James King was an excellent basketball player, a great self motivator and played years in the NBA. Yet as a coach, to be kind, it just didn't work out.

But Manning had developed a reputation at KU of being a tremendous big man coach. We never saw that kind of improvement under his tutelage.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Frustrated that Manning couldn't sign a quality big while here but immediately signs a top 50 national big man at Wake. His lack of recruiting success with bigs continues to plague this squad.

Agree. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to sign someone more productive than BigE in his two years.

That's a good point. I think he missed badly on Big E. It seems like that was supposed to be a good signing, but between injuries and some never explained eligibility issues, we didn't get what we thought we were getting. A player like that changes your game plan so much that you better have high hopes or limited expectations about what you are doing. In hindsight, it was a really weird signing for the fall period.

Not unreasonable at all. Not only did he not land a big man, IMO his overall recruiting was sub par for recent Tulsa HC's. Harrison and Ray have been good players, Edogi is coming around but not a lot in 2 years. Curtis contributed last year but might not start as a senior. Big E, Stevie and Littlejohn have not (did not) make significant contributions. Wilbekin was his best recruit and he never played at Tulsa.
With his experience and name recognition I expected a lot more from him as a recruiter.

Honestly it's the lack of development at the 4 and 5 that is more frustrating. He didn't come here with a reputation of a stud recruiter. It was that he developed big men.

If anything ours regressed his second year.

Originally posted by TUBballJunkie:
Honestly it's the lack of development at the 4 and 5 that is more frustrating. He didn't come here with a reputation of a stud recruiter. It was that he developed big men.

I agree. He did neither...... I think he and Steve Robinson both thought they could make Tulsa a "smaller Kansas " type program. Robinson did recruit fairly well but struggled trying to use the Roy Williams offense here where we did not have the mobile bigs to play it well. And then he failed on true point guards leaving a spot for his buddy.

I thought Danny was a superb floor coach. Much better than I expected. He got a lot from those kids and made good in-game adjustments. But he and his staff just could not recruit at Tulsa. Their Twitter accounts looked like they never left Kansas.

Tubby and Self were also looking for better jobs each year but seemed to know what it took to recruit to Tulsa. I'm hopeful Haith will land in this category of recruiting. We won't have to wait long to find out..

Originally posted by I.I.:

Originally posted by TUBballJunkie:

I agree. He did neither...... I think he and Steve Robinson both thought they could make Tulsa a "smaller Kansas " type program. Robinson did recruit fairly well but struggled trying to use the Roy Williams offense here where we did not have the mobile bigs to play it well. And then he failed on true point guards leaving a spot for his buddy.

I thought Danny was a superb floor coach. Much better than I expected. He got a lot from those kids and made good in-game adjustments. But he and his staff just could not recruit at Tulsa. Their Twitter accounts looked like they never left Kansas.

Tubby and Self were also looking for better jobs each year but seemed to know what it took to recruit to Tulsa. I'm hopeful Haith will land in this category of recruiting. We won't have to wait long to find out..
We won't have to wait long, indeed....With a couple more to fill for
2015, and 5 or 6 for 2016, Haith's recruiting cup does runneth over...
An 'immediate help' big, and a high potential guard (even if it was
a transfer that couldn't play until 2016) would be nice....

If Haith can successfully recruit himself out of this unusually deep
hole, he may not be long for our program, but he would have done
us a helluva job....

He did, and he misevaluated said recruit rather badly.

TX

Originally posted by texcane1982:

He did, and he misevaluated said recruit rather badly.

TX
He missed it so bad in fact in one meeting with us he said he thought said big man might go pro early...........

If by 'pro early' he meant be a tier 3 Euro Leauge player after his career is shortened due to NCAA academic stipulations .... then he could have been right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT