ADVERTISEMENT

3,000, 1,000, 1,000, 1,000 and 1,000

Original TULSAFAN

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Oct 11, 2016
Why isn't this being talked about?

From what I have gathered (quick look), Josh A simply needs a solid bowl game and Tulsa makes history....

Yes?

Yep. Needs 80 yards to put us into history along with the Paul Smith crew of 5k, 3x1k, and 1k.

Tulsa - "We break records"

How about Flanders setting the single season rushing mark? Not much on that either. And he's got a game to go...

We're going to have 2 RBs combine for 3,000 yards rushing which is crazy to go along with the rest of the insane numbers. I still think it is amazing that we have 2 more rushing yards than passing yards overall right now. What not enough people are talking about nationally is the extreme balance.

BTW, our defense matched Michigan's defense in number of TDs allowed to Ohio State in the 1st half-0

Reactions: scotty0912
TU is in the #4 offense by yardage according to ESPN stats. TU and Louisville are the only 2 with over 3000 yards passing and 3000 yards rushing in the top 4. TU currently has 3131 yards rushing and 3129 yards passing. TU is #2 in 1st downs made behind Texas Tech, #33 in 3rd down conversion percentage (44.6%) and #12 in 4th down conversion percentage at 66.7%. We are staying out of unmanageable 3rd down situations for the most part.

Imagine how many records we would set if we had a QB
Let's also keep in mind that with great balance on the offense, we're letting Dane throw a lot less. He's thrown 88 fewer passes this year than last (with the bowl to go). But I don't think he's complained or made any issues out of it. A team guy.

Reactions: URedskin54
Let's also keep in mind that with great balance on the offense, we're letting Dane throw a lot less. He's thrown 88 fewer passes this year than last (with the bowl to go). But I don't think he's complained or made any issues out of it. A team guy.
He threw that much last year out of necessity. Our defensive improvement this year and not needing to score 50 pts in order to win combined with the ability of our OL to control games dictates how often we need to throw. The only exception would be the Navy game where we took advantage of our WR mismatches against their secondary.

I looking at the numbers pretty closely we have an outside shot at 3500-1500-1500-1000-1000. That would be absolutely amazing. As much as I enjoyed the 7k club in 2007, this accomplishment would truly be groundbreaking and very difficult for any team ever to duplicate. You just don't see teams this balanced at any level.

I doubt it happens but I feel like someone should be doing a piece on the record that has never been achieved in FBS in a larger publication. I haven't heard anything outside of this market.

I doubt it happens but I feel like someone should be doing a piece on the record that has never been achieved in FBS in a larger publication. I haven't heard anything outside of this market.
Time for DT to shoot some info to John Anderson and Dari Nokwah...2 Tulsa guys at ESPN that could get this noticed. It's sort of like trying to run a Heisman campaign. You could easily start hitting up the ESPN college football Twitter handle and let them know...#TulsaFBSHistory

I'm torn, i kind of want to stay under the radar, but I also would like to see this team get some recognition of some kind for doing something special.

Reactions: TU 1978
I'm torn, i kind of want to stay under the radar, but I also would like to see this team get some recognition of some kind for doing something special.
It's more than just "something special", it's never freaking been done before...EVER.

Time for DT to shoot some info to John Anderson and Dari Nokwah...2 Tulsa guys at ESPN that could get this noticed. It's sort of like trying to run a Heisman campaign. You could easily start hitting up the ESPN college football Twitter handle and let them know...#TulsaFBSHistory
Well, the good & the bad have been thoroughly dissected on here. Here's another good: ours is the only bowl on 12/19 so college football junkies all over the country will find a way to watch. Depending on the talking heads doing the game, all watching will be fully aware of the record setting team pounding on CMU. TU Football: 1st,last,always!

Well, the good & the bad have been thoroughly dissected on here. Here's another good: ours is the only bowl on 12/19 so college football junkies all over the country will find a way to watch. Depending on the talking heads doing the game, all watching will be fully aware of the record setting team pounding on CMU. TU Football: 1st,last,always!
I am sure since it is a Monday, it's in this timeslot so as not to compete with MNF on ESPN. This is the issue with all of the bowls pretty much being owned by one network.

Of course anyone who read the article about ESPN hemorrhaging subscribers because of cord cutting knows they are on the hook for about $9-10B in rights fees (all sports) through the end of their MNF contract and not bringing in nearly that much if the current subscriber bleed continues at even a modest percentage of what happened the last 2 months. I am betting you will see a lot of these extra bowl games start to disappear. BTW, much of the drain is put on the NBA contract ESPN made.

Last edited:
I am sure since it is a Monday, it's in this timeslot so as not to complete with MNF on ESPN. This is the issue with all of the bowls pretty much being owned by one network.

Of course anyone who read the article about ESPN hemorrhaging subscribers because of cord cutting knows they are on the hook for about $9-10B in rights fees (all sports) through the end of their MNF contract and not bringing in nearly that much if the current subscriber bleed continues at even a modest percentage of what happened the last 2 months. I am betting you will see a lot of these extra bowl games start to disappear. BTW, much of the drain is put on the NBA contract ESPN made.
We won't have to compete with MNF. So, instead we'll compete with work. I will bet you $5 that our bowl is the least watched of bowl season.

Reactions: RealTUTypical
We won't have to compete with MNF. So, instead we'll compete with work. I will bet you $5 that our bowl is the least watched of bowl season.
Even for just $5 I wouldn't take that bet. It is a horrible time slot...my comment was more on why it was there when it was the only bowl game of the day and a prime time 7pm slot would be easy except for the MNF thing.

Reactions: RealTUTypical
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT