ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Player Discussion Thread: Geno Artison

ctt8410

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Junior F Geno Artison

Every coach has a type. For Wojcik, it was long, athletic guards that couldn't shoot. "Bryson Pope is a nice player. Why not build the entire team out of Bryson Popes?". For Manning, it was anyone who agreed to a Jayhawk tattoo when they graduated. And for Haith, it appears to be the stretch 4. Taller than 6'6" and love to shoot the 3? Welcome to TU!

Unfortunately for us, someone hammered it into Geno Artison's head at an impressionable age that the floor inside the arc is made of lava. Or at least that's the only way I can explain a 6'9" college player averaging nearly five 3-point attempts for every 2-point attempt. It wasn't a big deal in the spring when he was 5th on the post depth chart. Or even when he jumped a spot due to Edogi's departure. But now, he's the nominal backup at both positions for a coach who loves to autobench his starters with 2 fouls and it's my #1 worry for this season.

The hope is that Artison just needed more time to truly recover from his gruesome injury. And now 2 years removed, he can at least resemble the guy who looked so explosive in his juco tape. If the glass if half full, he's a competent backup who can provide provide defense and rebounding and maybe hit a couple open 3s. If the glass is half empty, you only break in case of emergency and we have to get creative with smaller lineups. And in the darkest timeline, he passes his lava theory onto the rest of the team and we smash the record for 3-pointers attempted in a season.

2017 stats: 6.4mpg, 1.7ppg, 1.1rpg, 0.3apg, 0.2spg, 0.4topg, 0.2bpg, 16.7% 2PT, 32.1% 3PT, 0.0% FT
2018 proj.: 11.5mpg, 3.7ppg, 2.0rpg, 0.5apg, 0.4spg, 0.7topg, 0.4bpg, 41.1% 2PT, 34.1% 3PT, 68.8% FT

Last edited:
I agree that post depth is likely to be our biggest issue and it will be interesting to see if Artison will show a stronger game. Personally I’m skeptical.

Reactions: ctt8410
"Or at least that's the only way I can explain a 6'9" college player averaging nearly five 3-pointattempts for every 2-point attempt. "

Ok I literally had to read this 5 times to understand it. This is really true? Did you read this on russiansfordemocracy.com?

Junior F Geno Artison

Every coach has a type. For Wojcik, it was long, athletic guards that couldn't shoot. "Bryson Pope is a nice player. Why not build the entire team out of Bryson Popes?". For Manning, it was anyone who agreed to a Jayhawk tattoo when they graduated. And for Haith, it appears to be the stretch 4. Taller than 6'6" and love to shoot the 3? Welcome to TU!

Unfortunately for us, someone hammered it into Geno Artison's head at an impressionable age that the floor inside the arc is made of lava. Or at least that's the only way I can explain a 6'9" college player averaging nearly five 3-point attempts for every 2-point attempt. It wasn't a big deal in the spring when he was 5th on the post depth chart. Or even when he jumped a spot due to Edogi's departure. But now, he's the nominal backup at both positions for a coach who loves to autobench his starters with 2 fouls and it's my #1 worry for this season.

The hope is that Artison just needed more time to truly recover from his gruesome knee injury. And now 2 years removed from surgery, he can at least resemble the guy who looked so explosive in his juco tape. If the glass if half full, he's a competent backup who can provide provide defense and rebounding and maybe hit a couple open 3s. If the glass is half empty, you only break in case of emergency and we have to get creative with smaller lineups. And in the darkest timeline, he passes his lava theory onto the rest of the team and we smash the record for 3-pointers attempted in a season.

2017 stats: 6.4mpg, 1.7ppg, 1.1rpg, 0.3apg, 0.2spg, 0.4topg, 0.2bpg, 16.7% 2PT, 32.1% 3PT, 0.0% FT
2018 proj.: 11.5mpg, 3.7ppg, 2.0rpg, 0.5apg, 0.4spg, 0.7topg, 0.4bpg, 41.1% 2PT, 34.1% 3PT, 68.8% FT

You mentioned a knee injury. For some reason I thought he tore his achilles. I know he was slow recovering from his injury and also missed some time to a groin injury.

Bad groin pulls can be tough to deal with too. It feels like your foot and leg doesn’t want to follow the rest of your body. Hopefully he’s fully recovered and can stay injury free. He can be a good contributor and can make an impact.

Reactions: ctt8410
You're right. Somehow had patellar in my head when I wrote it. Brutal injury regardless.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
Can't for him to get back to his original form hopefully this year and next. I had high hopes for him when he came here, and still do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT