ADVERTISEMENT

2016 softball team

What does the team look like next year

To be clear I have no inside scoop. I’m just a TU grad that has a 14 y/o catcher_girl and that likes to read box scores.

In 2015 Tulsa lead the American Conference in Batting Ave, Runs, Slugging Percentage Hits, Doubles, Triples, HR, Walks, RBI, On-Base Percentage, Sac Fly and fewest Strike Outs.

Pitching was 2nd (behind UCF’s crazy numbers) in ERA, fewest Runs and Walks allowed and 3rd in opposing teams Batting Average and extra base hits allowed.

As is said good pitching beats good hitting.

2nd place in the conference, leaves very little room to improve, but this year we lost too many close games. Most of the losses were 1-2 run losses, and most of the wins were 3+ run victories.

Pitching in 2016 Caitlin Sill will be a solid returning Senior. Behind her we will be young, but Emily Watson saw plenty of game time this year and should be solid.

Offensively it would be hard to improve the above stats, losing Kernen and Sampson the line up might be short on power, but the Withee sisters, Edmiston, and Walker should still generate lots of runs.

If anything that may need to improve numbers wise, we were in the bottom half of the conference in Stolen Bases and Sac Hits (bunts). This is huge in softball and manufacturing RBI opportunities could make a difference in those close games.

do they have a chance to get back to the NCAA's?

Abso--freaking--lutely!

I looked at their stats...losing the 1st base kid will hurt and Sampson, any incoming transfers or recruits that impact next year?

While watching the championship game there was mention that every player on the TU roster with an official at bat had hit a home run this year. That seems amazing to me if true. 2nd place to the #1 pitching staff in the country is not bad.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
I just don't see this team as currently constructed as being any better next year, they lose the two best hitters and don't have a plus pitcher. I seriously doubt they return to the tournament next year absent a big time transfer or freshman.

I'm a little confused as to the point of this thread since the OP clearly thinks we'll be garbage next year.

I've enjoyed watching the ladies play over the years and it was evident that they lacked the talent up the middle. I'm hoping that TU reloads strong they are losing their best 2 offensive players in Kernen and Sampson.

Our best chance 4 a deep run was last year. I wish we would had rode out Amy Creger in every game last year against Baylor. Seems like a lot of teams stay with their Ace in the big games. Maybe Amy was hurt or tired.

I was really impressed how well the other Withee played. Wish we could have got Sheffields bat into the lineup more as a DH. I have hope they will rebound.

Here is the 2015 Year in Review vid with Coach J. He talks about 2016 starting about 5:55. Adding 8 players (no names) and increasing the roster size. This will add depth and competition.

Saw the new roster, don't see any real difference makers. So, we have no Sampson and Kernen..where are the runs going to come from?? The pitching staff wont be as good....is Bargfeldt just cruising until retirement?? On a softball website Tulsa had a new commit from a 2016 pitcher from Ft. Gibson, Ok...if she only committed recently how good can she be? I believe they need a new good young hard hitting male assistant like Oregon has (Kolaitis) who can flat out recruit. We have a great school to sell, pretty good facilities and have one of the best players in NPF that should help us sell the program....opinions?

Very pessimistic, slightly sexist, and very opinionated post you got there Softballdad1985. Some of the younger players are just now getting to step up and play. They haven't had the chance because they were stuck behind one of the best pitchers, hitters, and defenders we ever had. They are just now hitting sophmore and junior seasons for a few. I think this team will shine much more than you believe.

Very pessimistic, slightly sexist, and very opinionated post you got there Softballdad1985. Some of the younger players are just now getting to step up and play. They haven't had the chance because they were stuck behind one of the best pitchers, hitters, and defenders we ever had. They are just now hitting sophmore and junior seasons for a few. I think this team will shine much more than you believe.[/QUOTE

Pessimistic yes, sexist no...I believe young women take hard instruction from men better than women. If you look at the top 5 last year...Florida, Auburn, Oregon, Bama and LSU...4 of the 5 have male head coaches, some with majority male staffs. Hey, I was looking for different opinions, I just dont see how this year will be better, the best pitcher and 2 best hitters are gone...who will replace that production? Any big time freshmen....I don't know, thats why I'm asking

Anything from softball? I have heard a few things from ppl i know in the business but would like some insight from folks who have watched them or closer to the program

I saw that...i have heard there is conflict on team..that Bargfelt plays favorites and plays certain players only play because of relationships with dads...i have no inside knowledge but have spoken to ppl that should know...expect multiple transfers..other players have zero respect for head coach because they know who should play and who plays only because of relationships..fortunate for me i have no daughter there i guess

I watched most of the games and it seems to me the coach had the right players in the game.
I would have liked to have had Sheffield's bat in the lineup more with her power but there wasn't really a spot defensively for her. Kaitlen Allen probably was the weak link in the infield but had a better bat than the freshman Meyers. The freshman shortstop was alittle bit back on her feet defensively but her bat woke up the last half of the season. All other positions were solid except pitching being so so. We don't have the obvioius power that we had last year but we might surprise with a few we do have, Sheffield, Edminson, Horner, Estocado and a new comer.
My major gripe with coach was that he didn't pitch amie crager 2 years back against Baylor, until her arm fell off.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I was talking about this year...the person I know well has told me in very clear terms that this team isn't close..very divided...1 player only plays because of her dad..that there are players much better.. This person should know without a doubt...there are freshmen who come highly regarded and according to that source head coach doesn't like to play freshmen regardless of how good they are...we will see

The season hasn't started yet and your saying that a deserving freshman will not play over an upper classman because of their daddy. I say BS. I have followed softball for many years and know of numerous freshman who have come in and started from day 1. Everett, Cobb, Withee, Barrett to name a few. The roster isn't so large that you wouldn't play the most able. Why would you recruit someone to ride pine? The coach would be stupid not to play his best 9 regardless of class.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I agree at the start of the season it is only fair to give the seniors a chance to break out. But as the season wears on your best 9 should play. You mention Myers left due to favoritism. She may have been better defensively but her bat was too long for her. My opinion she should have choked up . She did not catch up to the pitch. And Allen has only been a role player since she got there and 2nd base was open because of her offense. If there is an infielder freshman with offense, 2nd base is wide open for her, I'm pretty certain. There is an article about one freshman that hit a lot of line drives in the fall. I don't recall the player you say quit to allow Withee 3rd base but she has been rock solid at 3rd and her sister Maddie who I thought might be on the team because of Maggie proved to have even a better year than her sister last year. I think I understand the game well enough to judge talent on the field. What goes on in the clubhouse I'm not too concerned with.
No one likes the bench. Unfortunately they'll be butts on it.

Softballdad has been on here a couple years now, always trashing the coach. Never a positive word to say. Trying to knock down the team and the talent. Just try not to listen to him too much. He has a grudge for some reason. Something must have happened that caused him to hate the coach.

Wonder who recruited those kids??? ...maybe Bargfeldt? STHU you've been repeating those same accusations over and over for nearly a solid year. It was old after 10 minutes. Get over it, u have a problem, regardless of whether u admit it or not. Maybe it is simply that u have a destructive temprament, and are addicted to trying to cause problems where there are none of any consequence. Go away! I'm finished talking to u, u will not get a response out of me.

Man almighty this guy has regular little conversations with himself w/ two or three posts in a row, all the f'ing time. What a loser.

And back to softball, team went 2-0 to start the season with a very nice 6-2 win over Hofstra who was getting some poll votes to close out the day.

Softball parents are a breed of their own. I coached competitive sball for 7 years, disgruntled always came from the ones that didn't make the top 9 on a consistent basis . It's tough, but too often parents relive their ball playing lives though their kids and it always hurts the kid in the long run. Some burn their kid out and they never see their true potential and others survive to college and hit the wall. Sad deal. Sounds like this softball dad could use some detox and maybe could benefit from some therapy.

My daughter is 8 yrs old who knows if she will play competetive..you guys dont get it..its my opinion based on what im being told by someone who should know...im done with the conversation however i did notice on the stat line that they had 13 errors for 5 games..rarely will a well coached team in any league have 13 errors in 5 games..that is just my opinion..feel free to disagree

13 errors is way too much. There is even more emphasis on good to great defense in softball because the bases are short and runs are at a premium. Your left side infielders have to have sure hands and great arms with quick releases. IMO, any baseball/softball coach should spend 3/4 practice time on fielding and defensive situations and 1/4 of the time on hitting. This is especially true if you don't have that one pitcher that strikes out 10+ per game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT