ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Home Schedule

Really that's pretty pathetic. I would say we need to look for some lower tier power schools to play ( Colorado, Wazzu, etc...) but our non con is basically locked up for 8 years with a mix a bottom feeders and heavyweights...

Originally posted by astonmartin708:
Really that's pretty pathetic. I would say we need to look for some lower tier power schools to play ( Colorado, Wazzu, etc...) but our non con is basically locked up for 8 years with a mix a bottom feeders and heavyweights...
Agree. This is what we get when we schedule teams we have no history with, no rivalry with and will not bring any fans with them and we won't have any go there. Why schedule teams in the MAC and Sunbelt? We should be filling those slots with our old firends from the MWC and CUSA IMO. The one exception is any team in Texas - that is drivable, but plays at the DI level. No Central Arkansas' or Nichols St please! I'd rather have an old MO Valley football team than that.

Originally posted by jesterondirt:
FAU
UL Monroe
UCF
Houston
Memphis
Navy
UCF has won a BCS bowl and Navy is a huge draw everywhere they play. Those are two big time games....the others not so much.

Houston is always a good game. Memphis & Tulsa are becoming rivals in football & basketball.
The non-con part sucks, but the AAC home games are good.....certainly much better than if we were still in CUSA !

And for comparison, we need 5 home slots through 2020 (compared to just 1 away game if we want 2 home and 2 away OOC).

That's when we get one-off Nicholls State home games, kids. We've leveraged ourselves out of quality home and home contracts for the next few years.

that's right - selling out to the State schools for $$. But frankly, next year, we need two easy Ws and let's hope we get 3 with the game at New Mexico.

Home OOC opponents for the next three years:

Florida Atl
ULM
San Jose St
Toledo
LaLa
New Mexico

Suppose these are the best opponents we can bring in on home and home contracts?

I like the fact that TU is willing 2 play a one gamer
@ Ohio St & Texas type schools.
I think it's a recruiting 'edge 4 schools like Tulsa
Fresno made a name 4 itself by doing that
I do wish though,
TU would schedule & play these Big "$Road$" games, every other year.

Only a few nonP5 schools get great non conference schedules
Boise St, Fresno, Houston, SMU, ECU, USF/UCF, & such
Alot has 2 due w/ location as well as "exposure"
Here it's, Small school, small fan base, small TV market.

But that could all change IF TU could get 2 a BcS bowl

My ideal TU nonConf schedule
--Home/home vs. Conf USA School
--Home/Home vs. MWC School
--Home/Home (Sun or MAC or One BigTime P5 away game0
--Home/Home (any lower tier BcS School)

Next 4 Yrs. TU's NonConference

• 09/03 - San Jose State
• 09/10 - at Ohio State
• 09/17 - Toledo
• 09/24 - at Fresno State

• 09/02 - at Oklahoma State
• 09/09 - UL Lafayette
• 09/16 - at Toledo
• 09/23 - New Mexico

• 09/01 - at Texas State
• 09/08 - at Texas

• 09/07 - at San Jose State
• 09/14 - Oklahoma State
• 09/28 - at UL Lafayette

Originally posted by HHOOTter:
I like the fact that TU is willing 2 play a one gamer
@ Ohio St & Texas type schools.
I do too, but like the OU and OSU deals, it creates a deficit when you're trying to slot 2 home and 2 away OOC games every year. But I'd rather a big payday and a fun trip to Columbus or Austin than Norman or Stillwater.

We either have to fill that leftover home slot with a lower tier one game opponent, buy ourselves out of a return trip somewhere else or settle for 3 away and 1 home OOC in some years.

It's just math.
frown.r191677.gif

Originally posted by lawpoke87:

Home OOC opponents for the next three years:

Florida Atl
ULM
San Jose St
Toledo
LaLa
New Mexico

Suppose these are the best opponents we can bring in on home and home contracts?
That SJSU series could turn out to be sneaky good. Theyre a program that is headed in a good direction.
LaLa is always a solid program and if we want to get back in to LA recruiting-wise we need to be playing (and winning) home and homes with LaLa, ULM, LaTech, etc.

I've been wanting a home-home with ULL forever, mostly for recruiting. Also easy to travel to, great food, great fanbase. Superior to Tulane in pretty much all aspects besides nightlife.

I'll be at that game in a few years with a million Cajun cousins.

New Mexico is a much better team now than when we used to play them and UL Monroe has improved over the last few years. We need to be scheduling the KU's of the world not Ohio State...its foolish to whore yourself out just for a big pay off and get your players smashed up .

New Mexico hasn't won more than 4 games in any of the past 5 seasons...They are bad. Monroe is a middle of the road Sunbelt team...better than New Mexico.

Agree on KU....they just won't do a 1 for 1 with us.

Originally posted by canefansincerhome:
New Mexico is a much better team now than when we used to play them and UL Monroe has improved over the last few years. We need to be scheduling the KU's of the world not Ohio State...its foolish to whore yourself out just for a big pay off and get your players smashed up .
U must've been shnockered by the fact that BB lost a couple of 13 recruiting battles w them, into thinking that translated into a better team. ;0)

I'm very satisfied with the home schedule. No FCS teams & fanz & ii have it right-UCF & Navy will be big time & who doesn't want to humiliate Cougar kittie at home? The others besides ULM will be 2 more chances for payback from last year. TU Football: 1st,last,always!

The opener against FAU is a great chance at payback. I know TU was terrible in Boca last year, but FAU poured it on in the second half. Really stupid with the return game starting the next season.

Yes, the Memphis game. If it was a week earlier, it would be fall break weekend and would not interfere with the HS schedules.

Any combination of BA, Jenks, Owasso or Union home games will likely outdraw TU/Memphis.

Last year New Mexico losses
Fresno State 35-24
San Diego State 24-14
Air Force 35-31
Boise State 60-49
Your right New Mexico isn't any world beater, but I doubt Tulsa would have done any better last year against those four.

The Alumni Association will do anything to get Homecoming and Oktoberfest on the same weekend, their events are far more successful if they do.

Also, ESPN is televising the game and that's why it's on a Friday.

Friday game for homecoming is tough.

I wonder if they will move some of the usual Friday events to Saturday? Thursday isn't going to be reasonable for out of towners or Ben local working adults.

I don't know Junkie. I know the Alumni association had a brief blurb (can't remember if it was Twitter or FB) about it and specifically pointing out that it was Oktoberfest weekend. I think I would have preferred the 1st November game as Homecoming.

This post was edited on 2/20 12:57 PM by TU_BLA

TUBballJunkie posted on 2/20/2015...

Friday game for homecoming is tough.

I wonder if they will move some of the usual Friday events to Saturday? Thursday isn't going to be reasonable for out of towners or Ben local working adults.

Bonfire and associated activities are currently scheduled for Thurs night.

Originally posted by chito_and_leon:
Are we planning a big recruiting push in Ohio? More OOC games with Ohio teams than any state other than Ok?
Posted from Rivals Mobile
I believe all current OOC games were schedule under the Blankenship regime. Coach Monty has been pretty adamant about recruiting Texas hard.

TX

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT