ADVERTISEMENT

1st Night of the DNC Convention

astonmartin708

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Apr 17, 2012
Seems like they were really trying to appeal to conservative independents and moderate Republicans. They had some really good writers for some of the speeches delivered by guys like Kasich, and Cuomo. (Not a huge admirer of either of those guys, but they had good speechwriters) Some of the appeals to unity did seem canned though. Not a fan of having Eva Longoria as a host. She did an ok job, but the optics were suboptimal. I did enjoy the bits with Biden actually questioning and listening to the opinions of leaders regarding certain issues. It paints a stark contrast to the Junta of 5 or so trusted people in the Trump White House.

Lots of talk about the post office which is just a dingy in a sea of bigger issues. They really didn't attack Trump on the many issues that have arisen during his Presidency and focused instead on the issues that occurred since March. We'll see if it's a losing strategy or not.

Seems like they were really trying to appeal to conservative independents and moderate Republicans. They had some really good writers for some of the speeches delivered by guys like Kasich, and Cuomo. (Not a huge admirer of either of those guys, but they had good speechwriters) Some of the appeals to unity did seem canned though. Not a fan of having Eva Longoria as a host. She did an ok job, but the optics were suboptimal. I did enjoy the bits with Biden actually questioning and listening to the opinions of leaders regarding certain issues. It paints a stark contrast to the Junta of 5 or so trusted people in the Trump White House.

Lots of talk about the post office which is just a dingy in a sea of bigger issues. They really didn't attack Trump on the many issues that have arisen during his Presidency and focused instead on the issues that occurred since March. We'll see if it's a losing strategy or not.
You want to open with a big name (Michelle) but not upstage the main events later. So they will let bigger names handle bigger issues. This has all been scripted. They even mailed decor for people to make their apartments more presentable for the show — a questionable campaign expense at best.

And they are playing defense and know it. They spent the last two months talking up BLM and unity, but there’s too much social media of things like that incident in Portland this weekend where that Good Samaritan who was trying to rescue that mentally impaired transgender woman who was being beaten and robbed, but then he himself got put into a coma by the “protesters” leaving their staged confrontation with police wearing shirts saying Security and Press. The guy escaped. They chased his truck down several blocks away, pulled him from it, and put him in the hospital. The down ballot R candidates will feast on that.

If there were no R or D on a ballot, most people would not know who to vote for.
The spray tan imbecile who lies all the time or the lispy dementia grandpa?

My vote goes to lispy dementia Grandpa.... because if it gets worse, it will be pretty evident and we can remove him with the 25th amendment. Lying spray tan imbecile has to many swampy backers that refuse to vote him out in the Senate.

Last edited:
The spray tan imbecile who lies all the time or the lispy dementia grandpa?

My vote goes to lispy dementia Grandpa.... because if it gets worse, it will be pretty evident and we can remove him with the 25th amendment. Lying spray tan imbecile has to many swampy backers that refuse to vote him out in the Senate.
Is it not already evident? Thats why kamala was a bad pick for moderate republicans. People know she will likely be the president.

Is it not already evident? Thats why kamala was a bad pick for moderate republicans. People know she will likely be the president.
How is Kamala not better than the spray tan liar? What will she do tank the economy and kill thousands of people? He’s already done that. I literally can’t think of a worse performance as president in the modern era.

How is Kamala not better than the spray tan liar? What will she do tank the economy and kill thousands of people? He’s already done that. I literally can’t think of a worse performance as president in the modern era.
Did he kill thousands by shutting out Chinese too early or by shutting down every thing too late. While not a US president, Boris Johnson of U.K. has more cases per million population tha the US along with several other Western leaders. And despite what The illustrious Governor of NY says this pandemic didn’t start in Europe. I guess when you send sick old folks to nursing homes to die you have go far out with your story.

Did he kill thousands by shutting out Chinese too early or by shutting down every thing too late. While not a US president, Boris Johnson of U.K. has more cases per million population tha the US along with several other Western leaders. And despite what The illustrious Governor of NY says this pandemic didn’t start in Europe. I guess when you send sick old folks to nursing homes to die you have go far out with your story.
By shutting down everything to late and assuring the American Public that this was no worse than the flu and that it would go away quickly, then by propping up a bunch of fake cures. I'm no more of a fan of Boris Johnson's British response either to be fair, but their is something to be said of the extreme population density of his country as compared to that of the US.

I just wish the Dems would be up front and tell us that the ticket is Kamala and a player to be named later..

I would love for someone to ask her who she would nominate as VP when Biden steps down.

Who her SC nominees will be..

Who her cabinet picks will be..

I just wish the Dems would be up front and tell us that the ticket is Kamala and a player to be named later..

I would love for someone to ask her who she would nominate as VP when Biden steps down.

Who her SC nominees will be..

Who her cabinet picks will be..
To be fair, I haven't heard either candidate Trump or Biden say who their cabinet picks would be.... (Trump because he keeps having to fire them for incompetence, betrayal, or corruption)

To be fair, I haven't heard either candidate Trump or Biden say who their cabinet picks would be.... (Trump because he keeps having to fire them for incompetence, betrayal, or corruption)

Again... Kamala needs to be properly vetted in the press. She is getting the Obama press pass. Joe is running interference for her candidacy. For the DNC to claim otherwise is laughable.

Found it odd the Dems had Cuomo on last night while they were bashing Trump’s Covid response. A guy who intentionally killed thousands upon thousands of elderly. Just an odd look.

Reactions: TUMe and noble cane
Found it odd the Dems had Cuomo on last night while they were bashing Trump’s Covid response. A guy who intentionally killed thousands upon thousands of elderly. Just an odd look.
He had to do something, work continues on Solent Green.

Reactions: noble cane
Even if you assume that the nursing home death count is underestimated by a factor of 3, that’s still 18,000. How would you like to explain the other 150,000+ and who do we get to blame for those?

Why every time someone brings up the death toll do you obfuscate and point to Cuomo who’s entire state only accounts for 20% of the total deaths from the virus. I don’t mind blaming him for what he did wrong (like I said I’m not a fan of his) but Let’s not ignore every other state in the union.

Even if you assume that the nursing home death count is underestimated by a factor of 3, that’s still 18,000. How would you like to explain the other 150,000+ and who do we get to blame for those?

Why every time someone brings up the death toll do you obfuscate and point to Cuomo who’s entire state only accounts for 20% of the total deaths from the virus. I don’t mind blaming him for what he did wrong (like I said I’m not a fan of his) but Let’s not ignore every other state in the union.

I have no problem with that line of thinking. To be fair to Cuomo, if every other governor had his performance with Covid deaths we would currently have 575,000 deaths in the US alone. There are other states particular in the northeast with poor per capita death totals as well. Almost all of them failed miserably to protect the elderly btw.

Reactions: maverickfp
But in 2016 prior to the election, he did release a detailed list of judges he would consider for nomination. For the most part, he has stuck by the list.

I like that... gloss over the fact that Cuomos state accounts for "only 20% of the total deaths"..

Thats like saying that death camps only accounted for half the deaths in ww2..

Or

Mao's great leap forward only killed a tenth of Chinas population..

Or

Stalins great purge only killed 700,000 of the one million plus he imprisoned

I like that... gloss over the fact that Cuomos state accounts for "only 20% of the total deaths"..

Thats like saying that death camps only accounted for half the deaths in ww2..

Or

Mao's great leap forward only killed a tenth of Chinas population..

Or

Stalins great purge only killed 700,000 of the one million plus he imprisoned
Or you know, it's acknowledging that he is the governor of a state with the largest population density metropolitan area in the country and that it's going to always be hard to prevent illness in those types of places once it starts spreading.

Or you know, it's acknowledging that he is the governor of a state with the largest population density metropolitan area in the country and that it's going to always be hard to prevent illness in those types of places once it starts spreading.

When you put the "only" in the sentence you changed it from .

His state accounts for 20% of deaths

To

His state counts for ONLY 20 percent of the deaths..

The "only" changes the whole context..

Thats like saying Bill Clinton "only" flew on Eppsteins jet a and visited the island a couple of times.. vs Bill Clinton flew on Eppsteins jet and visited his island.

Or

Tiger Woods only picked up hookers at the Waffle House..

The ONLY in the sentence makes it seem like a lesser offense..

When you put the "only" in the sentence you changed it from .

His state accounts for 20% of deaths

To

His state counts for ONLY 20 percent of the deaths..

The "only" changes the whole context..

Thats like saying Bill Clinton "only" flew on Eppsteins jet a and visited the island a couple of times.. vs Bill Clinton flew on Eppsteins jet and visited his island.

Or

Tiger Woods only picked up hookers at the Waffle House..

The ONLY in the sentence makes it seem like a lesser offense..
Then I apologize for the only.

I have no problem with that line of thinking. To be fair to Cuomo, if every other governor had his performance with Covid deaths we would currently have 575,000 deaths in the US alone. There are other states particular in the northeast with poor per capita death totals as well. Almost all of them failed miserably to protect the elderly btw.
If every other governor was governor of a state including a city with roughly 29,000 people per square mile most of them reliant on public transit, they might have fared worse as well.

Why?.. you meant it exactly as you wrote it..

You were defending your guy and throwing shade at others..
Cuomo is not my guy. I don't really like him and the only reason I brought him up was because his speech was well written (I'm sure by a DNC staffer). My intent was to stop shifting the blame for the deaths in this pandemic to governors when the federal government completely bungled a coordinated response from the top down prior to the virus breaking out in the US. That led to an unfavorable situation for governors who preside over states with large population density cities. The higher density the cities, the higher the death tolls tended to be.

The only modifying factor tended to be how much a governor listened to actually scientists and how much common sense they used when responding (Cuomo used relatively little)

Last edited:
If every other governor was governor of a state including a city with roughly 29,000 people per square mile most of them reliant on public transit, they might have fared worse as well.

Dictating Covid positive patients be placed in nursing homes likely had a far greater impact in death rates than population density based on the demographics of the fatalities in New York. As I said above...odd the DNC would have someone with his record on the subject speak on a night where they attacked Trumps Covid response.

Along those lines, is the DNC still going to have Bill speak in light of the recent pics of him at Epstein island with sex slaves?

Dictating Covid positive patients be placed in nursing homes likely had a far greater impact in death rates than population density based on the demographics of the fatalities in New York. As I said above...odd the DNC would have someone with his record on the subject speak on a night where they attacked Trumps Covid response.

Along those lines, is the DNC still going to have Bill speak in light of the recent pics of him at Epstein island with sex slaves?
Apparently the mandate that NY put out was based on a federal CDC /CMS guideline meant to open up ICU beds in hospitals when it looked like massive shortage was looming, which was why several states like Michigan (relatively far from NY) followed it.

'The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services issued a memorandum on March 13 stating, in part, "Nursing homes should admit any individuals that they would normally admit to their facility, including individuals from hospitals where a case of COVID-19 was/is present."'

So, if you want to blame someone.... it's again time to blame the Feds.

His campaign slogan is "build back better".

It's already been done
Trump took the bho/Biden economy and fixed it.

His campaign slogan is "build back better".

It's already been done
Trump took the bho/Biden economy and fixed it.
Giving billions of dollars to the rich, tanking our trade with China, and putting millions out of work is fixing the economy? I'd hate to see what breaking it looks like.

Cuomo is not my guy. I don't really like him and the only reason I brought him up was because his speech was well written (I'm sure by a DNC staffer). My intent was to stop shifting the blame for the deaths in this pandemic to governors when the federal government completely bungled a coordinated response from the top down prior to the virus breaking out in the US. That led to an unfavorable situation for governors who preside over states with large population density cities. The higher density the cities, the higher the death tolls tended to be.

The only modifying factor tended to be how much a governor listened to actually scientists and how much common sense they used when responding (Cuomo used relatively little)

Im pretty sure that Coomo was telling people to go out to restaurants, the theater, and shop long after his state was in the crapper...

Apparently the mandate that NY put out was based on a federal CDC /CMS guideline meant to open up ICU beds in hospitals when it looked like massive shortage was looming, which was why several states like Michigan (relatively far from NY) followed it.

'The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services issued a memorandum on March 13 stating, in part, "Nursing homes should admit any individuals that they would normally admit to their facility, including individuals from hospitals where a case of COVID-19 was/is present."'

So, if you want to blame someone.... it's again time to blame the Feds.

That’s complete crap. 1). There was never bed shortage in NY. In fact they had facilities set up they never used. 2). Anyone with half a brain saw what was going on in places like Italy and understood those facilities (the elderly) had to be protected. Over 90% of the Governors realized this and prohibited Covid positive patients being sent to nursing homes. Those that didn’t killed the elderly by the thousands due to their intentional acts and should be called out. If the DNC wants Cuomo as their face for the Covid response they can obviously do what they want. Much like Bill speaking tonight.

That’s complete crap. 1). There was never bed shortage in NY. In fact they had facilities set up they never used. 2). Anyone with half a brain saw what was going on in places like Italy and understood those facilities (the elderly) had to be protected. Over 90% of the Governors realized this and prohibited Covid positive patients being sent to nursing homes. Those that didn’t killed the elderly by the thousands due to their intentional acts and should be called out. If the DNC wants Cuomo as their face for the Covid response they can obviously do what they want. Much like Bill speaking tonight.
Dude. Read the Memo. Just because there wasn't a bed shortage, doesn't mean that they weren't worried about a bed shortage. That's why they sent the coast guard ship there. 90% of governors weren't dealing with the virus on nearly the same level as NY at the time. You just refuse to blame anyone that doesn't fit your narrative. I'm not saying Cuomo is good, or he did the right thing.... I'm saying that he didn't use critical thinking when instructed to do something stupid by the federal government. It was a breakdown of the entire system... but it started at the top.

Do you honestly think that Cuomo himself came up with that policy out of the blue? And even if he did, do you think it was out of malice towards the elderly? Even if that was the case, why was it mirrored in multiple other states that were dealing with outbreaks at the time like NJ, Connecticut, or Michigan? Sure, some of the states that dealt with the outbreaks later like Florida or Texas didn't fall into the same trap when infection rates eventually started climbing, but they had a couple months of hindsight to benefit from.

You're not using anymore critical thinking than Cuomo was.

Dude. Read the Memo. Just because there wasn't a bed shortage, doesn't mean that they weren't worried about a bed shortage. That's why they sent the coast guard ship there. 90% of governors weren't dealing with the virus on nearly the same level as NY at the time. You just refuse to blame anyone that doesn't fit your narrative. I'm not saying Cuomo is good, or he did the right thing.... I'm saying that he didn't use critical thinking when instructed to do something stupid by the federal government. It was a breakdown of the entire system... but it started at the top.

Do you honestly think that Cuomo himself came up with that policy out of the blue? If so, why was it mirrored in multiple other states that were dealing with outbreaks at the time like NJ, Connecticut, or Michigan? Sure, some of the states that dealt with the outbreaks later like Florida or Texas didn't fall into the same trap, but they had a couple months of hindsight to benefit from.

I’m not sure how any reasonable person could read this memo and believe sending Covid positive patients to nursing homes is a prudent decision

https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/press-...sures-protect-nursing-home-residents-covid-19

Giving billions of dollars to the rich, tanking our trade with China, and putting millions out of work is fixing the economy? I'd hate to see what breaking it looks like.
Nice CNN talking points. Have you checked the unemployment numbers (pre covid) , gdp, stock matket, ...

Nice CNN talking points. Have you checked the unemployment numbers (pre covid) , gdp, stock matket, ...
The stock market significantly under Obama as did employment. GDP was sluggish under Trump even though he pumped money into the economy via tax cuts mostly because of his trade war.

Reactions: tbryce
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT