ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s World Cup - Randy Waldrum Edition

Agreed. Rapinoe was brought in to be an experienced leader. She is still a great player and delivers some of the best crosses. This is her last rodeo for the WWC. Still remember the 50 yd cross she delivered to Abby Wambach against Brazil in 2011 (?) to tie the game (semi or quarter) which they eventually won in ET. It may be the best delivery of a ball I've ever seen.
I see your Rapinoe and raise you Wayne Rooney. The greatest feat of athletic ability I’ll ever see in person. I was seated behind the goal and you see me briefly as the shortest man in MLS scores off a perfectly placed header as time expires. He then leaps into the crowd. Unbelievable vision and placement at a dead exhausted run after Rooney recognizes they will lose if he doesn’t get back and make a tackle to protect an open goal.

Last edited:
I see your Rapinoe and raise you Wayne Rooney. The greatest feat of athletic ability I’ll ever see in person. I was seated behind the goal and you see me briefly as the shortest man in MLS scores off a perfectly placed header as time expires. He then leaps into the crowd. Unbelievable vision and placement at a dead exhausted run after Rooney recognizes they will lose if he doesn’t get back and make a tackle to protect an open goal.

Yeah, the effort from Rooney was a breath of fresh air since you hardly ever see that type of effort given by aging players playing out the string. Watch Ronaldo play these days.

I think I'm still giving the nod to Rapinoe mostly because of the situation it happened in. Do or die game and the US was near death until that moment.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Complete bummer for the US after playing easily their best game of the World Cup and pretty much dominating the game in every fashion except putting a ball in the net during the course of play. Some of that had to do with Sweden's GK who stood on her head in regulation. The US looked like the US team we have come to know over the years, dominant MF performance, crisp passes and some tremendous runs and through balls into space. And Sweden wasn't getting good chances. 1 SOG through regulation and ET. US had something like 20 shots with 11 on goal. But the US possession and build up was also really good and it looked like they had purpose on the ball today.

PKs suck and it sucks that the US had the opening they needed to win the PKs in regulation and the 2 players you had the most confidence in going into a shootout, Rapinoe and Smith, just flat out crap the bed. Naeher was terrific in the shootout pretty much going the correct way on every chance. The 1st 2 shooters for each nation were just money...correct placement, correct strength giving the GKs no change at all. And for Naeher to get her hand on the last one and then swipe it from behind only to have it ruled in by goal line tech and that showing it was maybe 2mm (not exaggerating) over the line....just sucks. But the US had their shot to not even be in this situation if they had played like this against Vietnam and scored more than 3 measly goals, shown up for a full 90 against the Netherlands, or just shown up period to play against Portugal.

This was their best game, they dominated from start to finish and if not for next level effort by the Swedish keeper they should have had 4 or 5 goals in regulation. They had three shots to win it in PKs and three shooters couldn’t put it on frame. Frustrating.

This was their best game, they dominated from start to finish and if not for next level effort by the Swedish keeper they should have had 4 or 5 goals in regulation. They had three shots to win it in PKs and three shooters couldn’t put it on frame. Frustrating.
100%. I am flabbergasted by Rapinoe's miss because she has always been the one to take the ball and take PKs in the course of games the last few cycles and she has been money. Matter of fact the last time she took a PK and had it saved or missed was 5 years ago in an NWSL game. That's crazy. And honestly I think the moment got to Smith. My wife commented that she thought Smith looked nervous stepping to the spot. O'Hara's was just unlucky as she was going more for direction than power, fooled the GK, and just over did the push.

Really unfortunate ending.

Reactions: TU 1978
Too many distractions for that team other than the soccer. No one guessed if we pay them like the men they will perform like the men :). Worst UWNT World Cup performance in history. Assume there will be a coaching change as well as roster moves. Time for a changing of the guard in US women’s soccer.

Thought Rapinoe’s PK matched her overall play. That said, I was surprised by her PK as it wasn’t close. I also thought Alex Morgan showed her age. If would have subbed her before Rodman who looked dangerous in the first half.

The next 2-3 years will be very interesting on the women’s side. Hoping US soccer does the right things. The day is over where the US can beat the rest of the world on talent alone.

Antonivski is all but gone. If I'm the US I go get Waldrum who has proven he can coach players to be better at any level.

That said, we were old and hurt this tournament. And you're right on Morgan but I thought Rodman got pulled more because she wasn't 100%. But, the future up too should be bright. I'd move Smith into the middle, and have her flanked by Rodman and Williams. Sullivan, Rose Lavelle, and Horan in the middle. Sonnet is a keeper. You'll need to replace Ertz and Dunn. Hopefully Sauerbrun can return and you can pair her with Girma who is a great player. So calm and collected back there. You probably get 1 more cycle from Naeher in goal. And you still have players like Mewis coming back.

I don't think your going to be seeing Christen Press or Tobin Heath in the next cycle as they're going to be 38 years old. Naeher too but GKs usually have a few more miles in their legs because they're not constantly running up and down for 90 minutes.

Dunn had no business on the squad much less the field. She’s the Jonathan Bornstein of the women’s game. Gifted athlete. Neither a complete forward nor a complete LB. Attitude problems as a result. It doesn’t matter how fast and strong you are if you can’t bring the ball with you.

We appeared to be waiting for Morgan to emerge and were patient hoping service was the problem, not finishing. But it wasn’t - she wasn’t our best choice but every choice that played was consistently shaded into low percentage situations - whether it was shooting or passing. Some really questionable decision making in terms of both strategy and substitutions from the gaffer.

Rapinoe should have retired 2 years ago but is making too much money to quit. You wonder if she will finish the NWSL season.

It’s hard to believe they emphasized penalties in training like they said in the press conference. So many basic mistakes from Rapinoe and Smith. But in many ways it’s not their fault. They aren’t in that line up as pressure takers. Sweden missing two had Rapinoe shooting for what she thought was to keep the USA safe and set up the win, not just put your team ahead and pass the pressure down the line.

Penalties in shootouts are 60/40 statistically going back to the 70’s if you shoot first as the USA did. Your chances go down about 5 points if you are not the fifth shooter and you are shooting for anything more to keep your team level. They go down about five points if you shoot first and into the opposing team’s crowd. They go down even further if you wait for the dive and try to place the kick. Both Rapinoe and OHara chose to try that high risk strategy and it bit them. They were shooting with roughly a 30-35% percentage chance, historically.

Rapinoe laughing and smiling afterwards. No comment.

JP was the original broadcaster for USMNT and USWNT. He should call every game he wants.

Reactions: TU_BLA
We were short handed to begin with due to injuries to Mallory Swanson (née Pugh), Mercario, Press and Heath then Ashley Hatch was left off the team for who knows what reason. Out defense was fine but up front we were left with Morgan, who was targeted by every defender, and youngsters like Smith, Rodman and Thompson. I thought Morgan played an excellent game, she had some very good shots on goal that were batted away by the Swedish keeper. Her last shot on goal before she was subbed off was a beauty at an absurd angle that was only saved by the keeper’s reaction. I don’t think Andonovski is the man for the job, hopefully we’ll be able to get a better coach. I don’t expect to see Morgan back in ‘27. Hopefully the youngsters that were on the team will continue to develop and we see Awanson, Mercario and Hatch called up.

She’s the striker. She didn’t score the entire tournament. Thats all she’s there to do. That’s either on the coach or the player. Given the competition in two of the games, being unlucky against the number 3 team in the world would appear to have little to do with it.

Reactions: TulsaRulzOSUdrools
I actually thought Dunn played really well today compared to the God awful effort she had against Portugal. And it's hard to fault the US defense in this tournament. They only conceded 1 goal in 4 games. That's pretty good.

On Morgan, she simply didn't have it. She looked slow out there...

Reactions: HuffyCane
I actually thought Dunn played really well today compared to the God awful effort she had against Portugal. And it's hard to fault the US defense in this tournament. They only conceded 1 goal in 4 games. That's pretty good.

On Morgan, she simply didn't have it. She looked slow out there...
Dunn graduated from the University of Robbie Finley, College of First Touch, Gyasi Zardes, Department Chair.

When everyone is focusing on you because you’re the only option it tends to make your play seem a little off.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
When everyone is focusing on you because you’re the only option it tends to make your play seem a little off.
Yeah, I don't think teams were super concentrated on Morgan. Smith, Williams and Rodman are by far the most dangerous attackers we have right now. Williams' pace gives backs nightmares. Smith is great on the ball but she holds onto it too long. I want to see more runs into space from her. And Morgan's timing was just a tad off, frequently getting caught offside but she has that instinct to see and go to the right places. Her finishing was the quality of a 10 year old told to only shoot with their off foot.

The future is bright and now but the US will absolutely need to replace the coaching staff. And I wonder if we're nearing the point where a former player is ready to come in and take over. I don't know if any of them have gone into coaching.

Tiffany Roberts is coaching at UCF. I dont know if she has the correct licensure. I would suspect she is the only prominent former player who would be close to having a license. But I also think the last thing USWNT needs is another 99er back in the spotlight. The game has evolved. Our program and tactics have not. Its not a question of the "the rest of the world has caught up." Its a question of the rest of the world has now plugged women into their extensive football architecture and methodology. Not just program support but tactics and training is available that never was before. UNC is not Barca and Chelsea. Depending upon college teams and volunteers at the youth level to develop girls is going to lead to the same results as the men. And MLS has by design absolutely no incentive to contribute to men or women development programs. Other teams haven't "caught up" the rest of the world has finally decided to play a different game with different rules and we sit around thinking winning 10-0 over Thailand is dominant. The USA is going to have real trouble. Look at Spain. In terms of ball movement and tactics, they are doing things that people thought female athletes couldn't or shouldn't do, even 5 years ago.

Last edited:
Randy Waldrum's WC is over. Nigeria goes out to England in PKs. Bummer. I suspect the goal was to try to get to PKs if they couldn't find a goal in counter attack after making sure they had 10 behind the ball the keep England from scoring.

I will say this, England, like the US, like Germany, had not looked good this tournament. Hell, the Germans didn't even make the knockout round and they didn't have a particularly tough group (on paper) to navigate.

US Soccer is partly (maybe solely) to blame here. They abandoned their girls academy program in 2020 which was promoted as a path to USWN teams. MLS came in to save the boys side but the girls side was cast away. GA was formed to try to fill the void but most of the better clubs would eventually transfer to the ECNL platform. US Soccer is still scouts and invites girls to national team ID camps but its involvement is limited to scouting instead of development.

We now rely on development at the club level with very little input from US Soccer. Compare that to the European model. The day other countries decided to invest in the women’s game was the day our domination began its downward trend. Now….will US Soccer (or MLS) step up and invest money and resources into development on the girls side? I’m not optimistic.

Would love to know the projected loss to the broadcast partners. Remote location. Games at 3am. Early exit.

The players got theirs. I doubt they care.
This is stupid. Even if you think the players are only in it for the money, which is ridiculous, they would make more if they kept winning. Not to mention the endorsement opportunities that are hurt by losing now. This loss cost the women a lot of money.

Reactions: TU_BLA
US Soccer is partly (maybe solely) to blame here. They abandoned their girls academy program in 2020 which was promoted as a path to USWN teams. MLS came in to save the boys side but the girls side was cast away. GA was formed to try to fill the void but most of the better clubs would eventually transfer to the ECNL platform. US Soccer is still scouts and invites girls to national team ID camps but its involvement is limited to scouting instead of development.

We now rely on development at the club level with very little input from US Soccer. Compare that to the European model. The day other countries decided to invest in the women’s game was the day our domination began its downward trend. Now….will US Soccer (or MLS) step up and invest money and resources into development on the girls side? I’m not optimistic.
Interesting article on this. Takeaway, the US has already fallen behind in U20 development and that's working up to the entire US soccer program.

This is stupid. Even if you think the players are only in it for the money, which is ridiculous, they would make more if they kept winning. Not to mention the endorsement opportunities that are hurt by losing now. This loss cost the women a lot of money.
He's protecting his status with this interjection. The first comment alluding to this was more than enough. This is what, #3? He obviously wanted a reaction, or he wouldn't have kept 'slyly'(sarcasm intended) mentioning it.

Reactions: chito_and_leon

This is some funny stuff to read from someone that has no idea what they are talking about. The Euro model? The guy coaching Jamaica actually runs Real Colorado (a girls club up in CO). It is where Sophia Smith, Mal Pugh, and Jalen Howel all came out of. The ECNL girls train 3-4 times a week and then a lot train individually after that.

The girls' academy was filled as a money grab.

US soccer's only input was how the subbing was structured and the age groups. The US soccer also assigned the referees. The better clubs were already on the ECNL platform and went over to the DA and hated it. They bio-banded the years and ran three ages 15s, 16/17s, and 18/19s. They got five subs in the WHOLE game in the 16/17s and up. Parents were paying to fly across the country, and their kids play 15 mins. It just didn't work. They also told them no high school soccer whatsoever. That didn't fly.

US soccer gets as much input as they want. They weren't demanding Real Colorado, FC Dallas, Solar, or any other jack about how to play. They run their clinics and teach the coaches tactics on how they want to play. If they use it, they use it. They invite girls to camps. Do you think any girl turns down an invite to a US id or training camp? Negative ghost rider

It was hard to argue that there was a giant crisis when they still won World Cups.

The girl's game is way more technical than it used to be.

The rest of the world has caught up.

This is some funny stuff to read from someone that has no idea what they are talking about. The Euro model? The guy coaching Jamaica actually runs Real Colorado (a girls club up in CO). It is where Sophia Smith, Mal Pugh, and Jalen Howel all came out of. The ECNL girls train 3-4 times a week and then a lot train individually after that.

The girls' academy was filled as a money grab.

US soccer's only input was how the subbing was structured and the age groups. The US soccer also assigned the referees. The better clubs were already on the ECNL platform and went over to the DA and hated it. They bio-banded the years and ran three ages 15s, 16/17s, and 18/19s. They got five subs in the WHOLE game in the 16/17s and up. Parents were paying to fly across the country, and their kids play 15 mins. It just didn't work. They also told them no high school soccer whatsoever. That didn't fly.

US soccer gets as much input as they want. They weren't demanding Real Colorado, FC Dallas, Solar, or any other jack about how to play. They run their clinics and teach the coaches tactics on how they want to play. If they use it, they use it. They invite girls to camps. Do you think any girl turns down an invite to a US id or training camp? Negative ghost rider

It was hard to argue that there was a giant crisis when they still won World Cups.

The girl's game is way more technical than it used to be.

The rest of the world has caught up.
You’re correct. I have no idea what I’m talking about when it comes to girls ECNL at clubs like FC Dallas or the role US Soccer plays in the same. Nor do I know anything about the club and private trainings which ECNL girls at those clubs attend.

Girls without financial means are largely excluded from the high level development process. Boys on the other hand are not thanks for MLS. This needs to change. We are missing out on a lot of talented girls simply due to financial reasons

Last edited:
Too many distractions for that team other than the soccer.
This of course is what everyone of a certain political persuasion said in 2019 too and, yeah, so much for that argument. If anything, the opposite seems to be the case. A lot of the key contributors on this year's team are too young to have been involved with the prior round of social justice issues. This loss strongly indicates that the younger generation needs to find their issues that they can rally behind and push, or that we lack the kind of passion that leads one to be a killer on the field and in pursuing justice.

This of course is what everyone of a certain political persuasion said in 2019 too and, yeah, so much for that argument. If anything, the opposite seems to be the case. A lot of the key contributors on this year's team are too young to have been involved with the prior round of social justice issues. This loss strongly indicates that the younger generation needs to find their issues that they can rally behind and push, or that we lack the kind of passion that leads one to be a killer on the field and in pursuing justice.
I 100% support the equal pay fight the women have undertaken. However, to suggest teams who are filled with outside distractions other than the sport they’re playing historically perform better than those focused solely on winning is unfounded.

I 100% support the equal pay fight the women have undertaken. However, to suggest teams who are filled with outside distractions other than the sport they’re playing historically perform better than those focused solely on winning is unfounded.
Is it unfounded? I'm not aware of any analysis of that. I suspect that the type of distraction matters (e.g., Draymond Green/Jordan Poole is probably different than equality issues) but I don't know.

In any event, I believe people choose to look at one-off, anecdotal information when it supports their position but not when it disproves it. How can this year's team, which had way less on their minds than the 2019 team, prove the problem of outside distraction if 2019 doesn't prove the benefits?

What does this team even have on their minds? I don't think they have any major issues going on.

Is it unfounded? I'm not aware of any analysis of that. I suspect that the type of distraction matters (e.g., Draymond Green/Jordan Poole is probably different than equality issues) but I don't know.

In any event, I believe people choose to look at one-off, anecdotal information when it supports their position but not when it disproves it. How can this year's team, which had way less on their minds than the 2019 team, prove the problem of outside distraction if 2019 doesn't prove the benefits?

What does this team even have on their minds? I don't think they have any major issues going on.
There’s a reason why coaches constantly preach to their teams to tune out outside distractions. To focus on the task of winning championships. Could they all be wrong….maybe. However, I’m willing to bet there’s something to what coaches preach.

For the record this team had numerous issues from roster makeup, injuries, coaching etc. I simply suggested outside distractions as one of the many possible factors explaining our historic poor performance.

There’s a reason why coaches constantly preach to their teams to tune out outside distractions. To focus on the task of winning championships. Could they all be wrong….maybe. However, I’m willing to bet there’s something to what coaches preach.

For the record this team had numerous issues from roster makeup, injuries, coaching etc. I simply suggested outside distractions as one of the many possible factors explaining our historic poor performance.
Players have camps, foundations, businesses, families, charity partnerships, all kinds of outside distractions that coaches are fine with. Maybe certain kinds of distractions are bad but certainly not all. You say they're "filled with outside distractions" but I'm not even sure what this team had going on. They seemed pretty mellow and subdued.

As you say, there are a lot of reasons this team didn't do well. Some people are tossing their personal baggage on that wagon to try to "prove" something that supports their personal opinions that have nothing to do with soccer. If this team had stood for things on the opposite side of the political spectrum, those same people would have no problems with the "distractions".

Players have camps, foundations, businesses, families, charity partnerships, all kinds of outside distractions that coaches are fine with. Maybe certain kinds of distractions are bad but certainly not all. You say they're "filled with outside distractions" but I'm not even sure what this team had going on. They seemed pretty mellow and subdued.

As you say, there are a lot of reasons this team didn't do well. Some people are tossing their personal baggage on that wagon to try to "prove" something that supports their personal opinions that have nothing to do with soccer. If this team had stood for things on the opposite side of the political spectrum, those same people would have no problems with the "distractions".
Anytime a team underperforms as much as the USWNT did on the World Cup the lack of focus question will always be raised. Especially with teams who have dealing with issues and causes outside of their sport. It’s a valid question to ask.

Back to the question…is girls soccer pricing many of its top athletes out of the sport at the top levels? Hard to argue against that statement. Consider if an ECNL girl played on a top team this spring she likely went to:

Phoenix in April
San Diego in June
Virginia in July
And then back to San Diego in August.

These are showcases and nationals and an all star game. These don’t include league travel. So they have league and club dues. Kits. Travel. Hotel. Private training. Travel for national team ID camps. This is just the spring schedule btw.

Anytime a team underperforms as much as the USWNT did on the World Cup the lack of focus question will always be raised. Especially with teams who have dealing with issues and causes outside of their sport. It’s a valid question to ask.

Back to the question…is girls soccer pricing many of its top athletes out of the sport at the top levels? Hard to argue against that statement. Consider if an ECNL girl played on a top team this spring she likely went to:

Phoenix in April
San Diego in June
Virginia in July
And then back to San Diego in August.

These are showcases and nationals and an all star game. These don’t include league travel. So they have league and club dues. Kits. Travel. Hotel. Private training. Travel for national team ID camps. This is just the spring schedule btw.
Maybe if they concentrated on soccer and not “woke” issues like disrespecting our flag and national anthem, they would have done better. If you can’t be proud of the country you’re representing, then maybe you shouldn’t be representing us.

Reactions: quincy101
Maybe if they concentrated on soccer and not “woke” issues like disrespecting our flag and national anthem, they would have done better. If you can’t be proud of the country you’re representing, then maybe you shouldn’t be representing us.
Bill, I like you and your insight on TU stuff but by "woke" and standing up for themselves you are showing your bigotry. You're asking them to not be themselves because you personally don't agree with their lifestyle and both Congress and state legislatures around the country have basically slammed certain members of the team because they are lesbians. It was the same for Kapernick and his protests because, as we've learned, this country still has a huge racism problem and the country sits idly by thinking "nothing to see here, everything is just fine" when it clearly is not and instead of facing issues head on, we (collectively) try to sweep them under the rug. For years the women on this team have had to fight the general public and assholes like Franklin Graham about who they are without enjoying the same protections the government gives to everyone else.

There’s a time and place for demonstrating but I don’t feel this is the place. I doubt I’m a bigot since I’m married to a black woman, have 2 black step daughters and most of my family and friends are black. And a number of my best friends are lesbians.

I served my country in the military, as did most of my male family. My comments aren’t about whether you’re a lesbian or non-white. It’s about respecting our country, flag and national anthem. Maybe those disrespecting them would enjoy living in a country where they’re pushed off high buildings for being gay.

Continue to support those you wish but don’t call me a bigot without knowing what you’re talking about. If you enjoy watching some of these women lose, while supposedly representing our country, then that’s your choice.

For those that know me, and you clearly do not, will tell you I’m a fair and tolerant person. Don’t make assumptions about things you know nothing about.

There’s a time and place for demonstrating but I don’t feel this is the place. I doubt I’m a bigot since I’m married to a black woman, have 2 black step daughters and most of my family and friends are black. And a number of my best friends are lesbians.

I served my country in the military, as did most of my male family. My comments aren’t about whether you’re a lesbian or non-white. It’s about respecting our country, flag and national anthem. Maybe those disrespecting them would enjoy living in a country where they’re pushed off high buildings for being gay.

Continue to support those you wish but don’t call me a bigot without knowing what you’re talking about. If you enjoy watching some of these women lose, while supposedly representing our country, then that’s your choice.

For those that know me, and you clearly do not, will tell you I’m a fair and tolerant person. Don’t make assumptions about things you know nothing about.
I didn't call you a racist. I did say you were bigoted. Using the term "woke" to describe someone simply for using their platform to bring attention to the injustices their particular group faces on a daily basis shows a bias against that group.

Thank you for your service, but while serving to protect the freedoms of Americans, does it occur to you that not all Americans truly are able to experience and enjoy the "freedom" you fight to preserve? A place where they don't enjoy the same rights as everyone else because the extreme right has deemed them unworthy in their Christian fascist eyes?

Full stop. This is a Crossfire topic

What indication is there that they haven't concentrated on soccer? You can have progressive values without being distracted. Has the team had walkouts or pickets or team press conferences or rallies? The 2019 team did and they won it all, so... facts? The "not concentrated on soccer" narrative has no factual support that I know of, but that doesn't stop the outrage herders from pushing it to the hungry masses they control.

I doubt the team thinks about the anthem thing at all. It's just their pre-game routine. But right wing cancel culture herders made it into outrage bait. The right wing is in vapors over it but that doesn't mean the team is (when you're so enmeshed in an echo chamber, it's hard to realize that other people don't think 24/7 about the things you think about). The team might be distracted by having the right wing cancel culture canceling them, but you can't live your life trying to please everyone.

They lost for reasons that need to be addressed but hitching on political nonsense having nothing to do with it won't help us get back to the top. Just say you don't like them and want them to lose bc of their politics and you don't support any US team that disagrees with your politics. That's fine, you can make your love for country teams contingent on what they think and say. No need to try to look silly by trying to fake it into a competitive issue.

Last edited:
What indication is there that they haven't concentrated on soccer? You can have progressive values without being distracted. Has the team had walkouts or pickets or team press conferences or rallies? The 2019 team did and they won it all, so... facts? The "not concentrated on soccer" narrative has no factual support that I know of, but that doesn't stop the outrage herders from pushing it to the hungry masses they control.

I doubt the team thinks about the anthem thing at all. It's just their pre-game routine. But right wing cancel culture herders made it into outrage bait. The right wing is in vapors over it but that doesn't mean the team is (when you're so enmeshed in an echo chamber, it's hard to realize that other people don't think 24/7 about the things you think about). The team might be distracted by having the right wing cancel culture canceling them, but you can't live your life trying to please everyone.

They lost for reasons that need to be addressed but hitching on political nonsense having nothing to do with it won't help us get back to the top. Just say you don't like them and want them to lose bc of their politics and you don't support any US team that disagrees with your politics. That's fine, you can make your love for country teams contingent on what they think and say. No need to try to look silly by trying to fake it into a competitive issue.
The actual competitive reasons they lost have been talked about. Aging stars, the rapid improvement of other nations after their countries started investing more $ into their women's national teams (because nations like the US, Germany, France and other "woke" countries led the charge), injuries...and let's face it the ones the US had were not insignificant and forced them to play players out of position, and perhaps the coach is not the right coach for the job.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
The actual competitive reasons they lost have been talked about. Aging stars, the rapid improvement of other nations after their countries started investing more $ into their women's national teams (because nations like the US, Germany, France and other "woke" countries led the charge), injuries...and let's face it the ones the US had were not insignificant and forced them to play players out of position, and perhaps the coach is not the right coach for the job.
We didn’t just lose. We won one game in the World Cup. We scored one goal in our last three games. We can list our injuries and coaching as excuses but this team still grossly underperformed their talent level. Outside from our last game this group looked almost disinterested on the field at time imo. They certainly seemed to lack the passion one would come to expect from a team playing in the World Cup. There are a number of possible explanations. Truth be told it’s probably a combination of several. That said, I’m looking forward to a new group of US women representing the country over the next several years. I believe we have sufficient young talent to be the top team in the world. Yes…the world is or has largely caught up. Our development system needs to improve as is evidenced by our struggles in the younger age groups. US Soccer needs to step in and help with development of those potentially elite girls from less affluent backgrounds. Top level soccer shouldn’t be a game only for the well off. The boys side has solved that issue for the most part. The girls should follow their lead

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT