ADVERTISEMENT

TU’s new AD must be a dynamic fundraiser

The last few weeks we have seen several good TU football and basketball players take the NIL $ from other schools & leave. During these same few weeks, TU has not signed anyone to replace these good players. This lets me know TU is not competitive in NIL funds today.

If the TU administration doesn’t respond to their football & basketball rosters being purchased one player at a time, I have lost hope for TU’s athletic future. They need to be as angry about this as the fans are.

TU needs to start by hiring a new athletic director who is very skilled and very focused on fundraising. Without a competitive NIL budget, every spring we will see TU’s best football & basketball players leaving. That’s unsustainable for winning football or basketball.

Last edited:
As much as most of us don’t like it, the reality is NIL is here to stay. NIL is a huge part of athletic success. TU just lost its top men’s & top women’s basketball player. TU must hire a dynamic fundraiser as their new athletic director.

TU has a small alumni base, but is the best sports entertainment option in a metro area of over 1 million people. TU must find a way to attract new fans and donors that are not alumni. We need a dynamic fundraiser to connect with the Tulsa area business community.

If we are to have athletic success in today’s NIL world we must truly become Tulsa’s team. That starts with hiring a new AD that has the personality and energy to lead that drive.er th
I disagree.

I think the legal landscape will be more firm over the next two years making NIL largely irrelevant.

While the debate over NIL has been front and center, that has really just been a ploy by labor leaders and labor/trial lawyers to force concessions on wages for participation as part of an overall strategy of finding college football liable for antitrust violations.

Without going into a diatribe that some of you hate, what you are seeing trickle out is a multi stage, multi decade legal strategy.

One of the little discussed nuances of anti-trust law is that you are able to recover triple damages for wage fixing violations. There is no limit as far back as that can go. The labor unions, and their lawyers, have been trying to get a hold of that kind of $50 billion dollar payout for about 20 years. Basically, threatening the NCAA that they are liable not just for not paying the players this season, but every season, going back to the creation of television and even radio. Times three. It could take millions and years for experts to determine just how much that number is, and they’ve been trying for awhile.

The NIL thing was always a way to sympathetically phrase the problem to the public and get the system evolving towards a wage model. Once there, strategically filed law suits, one of which is pending settlement, would memorialize what a fair wage scale based on gross revenues would be, if there was actually a single body to collectively bargain with, which there likely never will be. Then the guys trying to get a settlement that would make tobacco lawyers blush can go after all the past money. TU’s liability could be considerable.

So the lawyers knowledgeable on these issues, lawyers who have never lost a case, and have been doing sports law since their clients Curt Flood, Freeman McNeil, Etc were playing say it’s 10% of gross media rights. We are talking guys who are in Michael Jordan’s speed dial. Guys David Stern called the most dangerous men in America.

So in TU’s case, let’s say media revenue stays at $7 million. And let’s say Congress or the President steps in and says the women get an equal share. That’s $7 million divided by 530 roughly, Or approximately $13,000 a player. Not much more than what we are paying them now in Alston funds and none of it erodes the donor base.

Now that will stink for TU because it will mean that the pay will always be lower than the SEC. And we likely won’t be in the top classification anymore. But it also means the new AD probably shouldn’t run out and raise $10 million to give to our basketball team when that money could be spent on appropriately sized and budgeted facilities we have needed for twenty years.

I disagree.

I think the legal landscape will be more firm over the next two years making NIL largely
irrelevant.
NIL has obviously opened the door for young athletes to make more money than they have
ever seen before, and most of the legal minds and people of influence all seem to be on the
side of NIL being even more open with even less control....And of course, we have to include
all of the "potential agents" that do so much of the illegal contacts with players that have not
agreed to enter the portal, somet6imes on the request of specific programs....

The NCAA, for several reasons, lost their taw some time ago....They fear legal liability if they
try to limit NIL to the extent that it would be a restraint of trade issue, and they also fear that
the "top 60" might bolt and go off on their own if they are constrained too much....

I'm afraid that other than minute rules changes, NIL will be with us somewhat longer than
two years....Many say that we can"t sustain any sense of fairness if we continue as we are...I
would be in that voting bloc myself, but the legal constraints are going to pose large barriers to
any "reasonable" solutions....

Last edited:
NIL has obviously opened the door for young athletes to make more money than they have
ever seen before, and most of the legal minds and people of influence all seem to be on the
side of NIL being even more open with even less control....And of course, we have to include
all of the "potential agents" that do so much of the illegal contacts with players that have not
agreed to enter the portal, somet6imes on the request of specific programs....

The NCAA, for several reasons, lost their taw some time ago....They fear legal liability if they
try to limit NIL to the extent that it would be a restraint of trade issue, and they also fear that
the "top 60" might bolt and go off on their own if they are constrained too much....

I'm afraid that other than minute rules changes, that NIL will be with us somewhat longer than
two years....Many say that we can"t sustain any sense of fairness if we continue as we are...I5)36
would be in that voting bloc myself, but the legal constraints are going to pose large barriers to
any "reasonable" solutions....
NIL in its present form is a euphamism for wages currently. Once they have a collective wage, they will still have the ability to negotiate their own approved NIL just like any other pro player. Much like minor league baseball players not named Michael Jordan, that value is next to nil. Pun intended. NIL will be around. It won’t move the needle if some of the current litigation is settled favorably to the players suing

. And we likely won’t be in the top classification anymore.
then why even bother? If we struggle with relevance playing at the top level, then we may as well close the door and turn off the light if we have to move down to FCS+ (or whatever the hell they’ll call it).

One of the big draws of TU for me (outside of the obvious items) was that TU had D1 sports and played high level football. There are many of my fellow alums who feel the same way. Taking that away could cause some pretty big consequences in regard to support for the university.

If there’s a 32-40 team beak off at the top, then fine - let them go be NFL lite, that still holds most of college football intact, but if the whole “p4” goes and the “g5” get relegated, then eff it. It was fun while it lasted.

This sh!t pisses me off so much.

then why even bother? If we struggle with relevance playing at the top level, then we may as well close the door and turn off the light if we have to move down to FCS+ (or whatever the hell they’ll call it).

One of the big draws of TU for me (outside of the obvious items) was that TU had D1 sports and played high level football. There are many of my fellow alums who feel the same way. Taking that away could cause some pretty big consequences in regard to support for the university.

If there’s a 32-40 team beak off at the top, then fine - let them go be NFL lite, that still holds most of college football intact, but if the whole “p4” goes and the “g5” get relegated, then eff it. It was fun while it lasted.

I think the SEC and the Big 10 will eventually be the only 2 “ power conferences “ left. I think some of the big 12 and acc will get sucked up into those 2 conferences and the the rest will be in our division. If TU ever becomes irrelevant, I’ll just quit watching sports and just go on hunting and fishing trips 😂

Reactions: goldenhurricane2

It won’t really change alumni support for the university. I think it will dramatically change who is interested in attending the school. And the academic quality of who we can attract.

It won’t really change alumni support for the university. I think it will dramatically change who is interested in attending the school. And the academic quality of who we can attract.
It just sucks man. I hate this. And it seems like there’s absolutely nothing we can do at this point but sit back and watch a century’s worth of top level athletics crumble in front of us.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I disagree.

I think the legal landscape will be more firm over the next two years making NIL largely irrelevant.

While the debate over NIL has been front and center, that has really just been a ploy by labor leaders and labor/trial lawyers to force concessions on wages for participation as part of an overall strategy of finding college football liable for antitrust violations.

Without going into a diatribe that some of you hate, what you are seeing trickle out is a multi stage, multi decade legal strategy.

One of the little discussed nuances of anti-trust law is that you are able to recover triple damages for wage fixing violations. There is no limit as far back as that can go. The labor unions, and their lawyers, have been trying to get a hold of that kind of $50 billion dollar payout for about 20 years. Basically, threatening the NCAA that they are liable not just for not paying the players this season, but every season, going back to the creation of television and even radio. Times three. It could take millions and years for experts to determine just how much that number is, and they’ve been trying for awhile.

The NIL thing was always a way to sympathetically phrase the problem to the public and get the system evolving towards a wage model. Once there, strategically filed law suits, one of which is pending settlement, would memorialize what a fair wage scale based on gross revenues would be, if there was actually a single body to collectively bargain with, which there likely never will be. Then the guys trying to get a settlement that would make tobacco lawyers blush can go after all the past money. TU’s liability could be considerable.

So the lawyers knowledgeable on these issues, lawyers who have never lost a case, and have been doing sports law since their clients Curt Flood, Freeman McNeil, Etc were playing say it’s 10% of gross media rights. We are talking guys who are in Michael Jordan’s speed dial. Guys David Stern called the most dangerous men in America.

So in TU’s case, let’s say media revenue stays at $7 million. And let’s say Congress or the President steps in and says the women get an equal share. That’s $7 million divided by 530 roughly, Or approximately $13,000 a player. Not much more than what we are paying them now in Alston funds and none of it erodes the donor base.

Now that will stink for TU because it will mean that the pay will always be lower than the SEC. And we likely won’t be in the top classification anymore. But it also means the new AD probably shouldn’t run out and raise $10 million to give to our basketball team when that money could be spent on appropriately sized and budgeted facilities we have needed for twenty years.
I hope you are not speaking for TU. Your wait & see approach isn’t working at all & I doubt it will work for many years to come.

You are advocating for TU to fight using “Queensbury rules “, while Memphis, SMU, & even schools like UAB understand we are in a street fight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT