ADVERTISEMENT

Music.......sweet, sweet Music

Don't know if anyone saw this....and honestly I missed the fact that the Chili Peppers came out with TWO albums last year.... but they released a tribute song to Eddie Van Halen where John Frusciante does some hybrid Van Halen style solo's with his own flare which is just AMAZING.... the lyrics are all related to Van Halen.

I dig it.

Thinking about heading to Vegas in April to see them live before they're too old to tour (or Frusciante goes on hiatus for 10 years for the third time)

Don't know if anyone saw this....and honestly I missed the fact that the Chili Peppers came out with TWO albums last year.... but they released a tribute song to Eddie Van Halen where John Frusciante does some hybrid Van Halen style solo's with his own flare which is just AMAZING.... the lyrics are all related to Van Halen.

I dig it.

Thinking about heading to Vegas in April to see them live before they're too old to tour (or Frusciante goes on hiatus for 10 years for the third time)

Saw them at BOK. Klinghoffer guitar though.

Saw them at BOK. Klinghoffer guitar though.
Klinghoffer was a good fill in, he doesn't have the magic in his hands. It just felt like they were covering their own music or something whenever I would see those live shows

Is there anyone left unfamiliar with The (young) Rascals. These guys plied their trade in the mid-late 1960's and had at least three #1 hits. Kept bouncing Beatle's tunes out of #1 with stuff like "Groovin", "Good Lovin", "You Better Run" "How Can I Be Sure" and many more.

Felix Caviliere was the main man. Elected to the R&R HoF 3 times as a songwriter, with the band and for a solo career. Played keyboards, sang most tunes and wrote most of them, too. Such a soulfoul voice. I can always listen to these guys and be amazed at their contempo sound even today.

And their drummer, Dino Danelli, was a very good musician and kept fans entertained with his sticks. Tossing, twirling and keeping excellent time. He passed about a month ago.

Klinghoffer was a good fill in, he doesn't have the magic in his hands. It just felt like they were covering their own music or something whenever I would see those live shows
I feel kind of bad for him. They tossed him fast given the opportunity to reunite with their old pal.

Do any of you ever play Heardle? There’s a Heardle Decades version that tests your knowledge some pretty good old stuff.

And just for Mullins, there’s a Queen Heardle that often samples some of their really old and obscure work.

Did you know that a new Queen tune was released just a couple of months ago. Heardle had it in the first day and we were stumped.

Last edited:
I'm sure everyone has favorite drummers. Here's a couple famous ones that you may not know you listened to. Steve Gadd is a jazz drummer, studio guy, band leader, etc. If you've listened to a Clapton album or concert in the last 30 years, Gadd is likely EC's drummer. (Ck out "One more car, One more driver", an album with Gadd, Billy Preston on B-3, David Sanscius, & others).

Then, there's Bernard "Pretty" Purdie. He's been the studio drummer for a dozen big record labels over the years. He was in King Curtis' album "Memphis Soul Stew" and was Becker and Fagan's go to drummer on several Steely Dan albums. And Becker & Fagan basically had no band. Everyone playing on their albums was not just studio guys, but B&F kept listening to everyone & only kept the studio guys that fit their musical sound & vision. The best musicians came & went, very fast if they didn't fit B&F. One more thing about the 2 geniuses known as Steely Dan. In the studio (& they had the $ to pay well & buy time) Bernard Purdie has stated that all musicians loved a S Dan album because they knew there would be 50, 75 even 100 takes before B&F were happy. But lots of $.

Another interesting tidbit: During Kiss concerts, Gene Simmons has a small, onstage sitting area that’s screened from view to most of the arena.

I’m sure he’s told someone “I’m 73 years old and 7 feet tall in this getup. There’s no way I’m climbing up and down those stairs”.

Reactions: drboobay
Drummers are certainly a great part of a band. I like several but Neil would be my favorite.

That's some serious talent.
I have never played any musical instruments.
My first choice would be learning the Drums.
Second would be Bass Guitar.

My perspective on drums is always that they need to add something to the tune while not being overpowering to the rest of the group. Obviously there are a host of Jazz and Big Band drummers from bye gone eras... Buddy Rich, Gene Kruppa, etc... but I think Rock and Roll drumming really changed with Bonham (Zeppelin) and Ginger Baker (Cream). Most drummers will also say Ringo was one of the greats simply due to his unique left handed style and his creativity + dependability and tenacity. I do think Kieth Moon gets a bit too much love because of his untimely demise. He was certainly a ball of energy, but in terms of creativity and raw talent I would take Mitch Mitchell of the Hendrix Experience over him.

Jumping ahead a few years, I think you have to include Stewart Copeland from The Police just for his sheer unique sound. He grew up abroad (dad was a founding component of the CIA in Egypt and Lebanon)... where he learned all kinds of Middle Eastern rhythms that he later meshed with British punk and reggae.

An interesting quote on Copeland from Les Claypool of Primus (one of the world's best bassists who we just so happened to leave out of some discussions along with Victor Wooten of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones) "It was always our intention to get that elusive Stewart Copeland snare and hi-hat sound whenever we entered the studio. We tried all kinds types of different snares and hi-hat sizes. Different heads. Different tunings. I'd like to think we came close.... but I doubt it."

I was being slightly facetious when I said my fav was Ringo.

Ringo is alright, but I wouldn't put him up there with the greatest drummers. I thought most of you would get that, maybe not? ;)

I don't know that I have a favorite Drummer, or a favorite on any instrument. There's too many. Mine would be a panoply of musicians for different reasons. But if there was just one in Rock, it would be someone like Charlie Watts, for example. I like different drummers for different songs they did. Where their work showed the personality of the song really well, and defined the song. Like Al Jackson Jr(drummer for Booker T & the MG's) for his work on Try a Little Tenderness.

I was being slightly facetious when I said my fav was Ringo.
I just thought you had gone temporarily nuts. But you redeemed yourself by noting Watts & Jackson. And mentioning "Try a Little Tenderness". I started this thread because someone mentioned Otis Redding in a football thread.

If there's one song that illustrates the greatness of O.R., it's Try a Little Tenderness. The tune starts out slow, ballad-like and you just groove on it. In the middle portion, the tempo picks up & you start nodding your head to the rhythm and in the final third, it's impossible not to get off the couch and start dancing. Especially in a live performance of this.

If anyone wants to debate whether Otis Redding was not the greatest soul/R&B singer of all time, listen to Try a Little Tenderness & think again.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Born on this day 75 years ago, Irish guitar legend Rory Gallagher (1948-1995). One of my all-time favorites.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Born on this day 75 years ago, Irish guitar legend Rory Gallagher (1948-1995). One of my all-time favorites.

Celtic Rock kick's a**. Just ask the KIng of Irish soul, Van Morrison. Love 'Too Rye Aye' & the early DMR, Drop Kick Murphy's, early U2. Rory deserved a bigger audience.

I just thought you had gone temporarily nuts. But you redeemed yourself by noting Watts & Jackson. And mentioning "Try a Little Tenderness". I started this thread because someone mentioned Otis Redding in a football thread.

If there's one song that illustrates the greatness of O.R., it's Try a Little Tenderness. The tune starts out slow, ballad-like and you just groove on it. In the middle portion, the tempo picks up & you start nodding your head to the rhythm and in the final third, it's impossible not to get off the couch and start dancing. Especially in a live performance of this.

If anyone wants to debate whether Otis Redding was not the greatest soul/R&B singer of all time, listen to Try a Little Tenderness & think again.
I hate great songs that got too much airplay. Great songs that if I never heard them again, it would make me happy. Sitting on the Dock of the Bay,(Otis) Lean on Me,(Mr Bill Withers) Brown Eyed Girl, (Van) My Girl, (Temptations) Cinnamon Girl,(Neil) Light My Fire,(Doors) etc, etc. I've heard those songs 986 times too much.

Reactions: TU 1978
Does anyone else care for Deep Purple?
I'm sure Babe knows the back-story of "Smoke On The Water" and everyone else, too. That Montreux Jazz Festival annually in Switzerland has put out a ton of great music over the years. Jazz, Blues, R&R, Folk, but mostly jazz. And many know the story of SRV and Double Trouble at Montreux in 1982 & again in '85. Someone else can relate both or I can if anyone's interested.

Does anyone else care for Deep Purple? I was always fascinated on how they incorporated the Hammond Organ into their unique sound.
Ever heard of Atomic Rooster?

Obscure but the Hammond is a major element of the sound.

Try a little tenderness isn’t even his best song lol. I’m partial to Love Man and These Arms of Mine.

Reactions: quincy101
I've seen Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison, George Harrison names mentioned in this thread, but not The Traveling Wilburys. Add Jeff Lynne & you've got a beyond super group. I loved it that these giants of R&R deferred to Roy Orbison and treated him with all the respect in the world. I hated it that Orbison died within a week after(can't recall but it was either after they broke up or after their album was released)

But is there any doubt that after every hardship with losing loved ones and a drinking problem, Roy Orbison died a happy man. Making music with the greatest and receiving their love & respect. We should all be so lucky to check out that way.
The Wilbury’s are on the radio while waiting for the HS girls Area tourney broadcast to start.

You don’t hear them too often anymore.

Astrobite's gotta be the contrarian. Just can't help himself. That was not a fact, despite what he thinks.

On greatest soul singers, in my opinion it is a tie between Otis and Al Green. Green has quite a catalog. And Let's Stay Together equals the perfection of Try a Little Tenderness.

And then there's Marvin Gaye...
And the Irish Soul singer Van Morrison

A great blues artist on the B-3 was Lucky Peterson and his hero was Jimmy Smith. Also loved to hear Billy Preston on the organ. So soulfull. Was Clapton's guy for a couple years. His work on EC's "One More Car, One More Driver" is delicious!
Jimmy Smith. Master of the B-3.

A great blues artist on the B-3 was Lucky Peterson and his hero was Jimmy Smith. Also loved to hear Billy Preston on the organ. So soulfull. Was Clapton's guy for a couple years. His work on EC's "One More Car, One More Driver" is delicious!
And the Beatles of course.

Reactions: quincy101
Todd Rundgren's remarkable album was released 50 years ago. I still listen to it often.

"This song is dedicated to Eric Konkol."

• Love
Reactions: TU 1978
Here's a rare video of Dwight Twilley from the 70's. Tom Petty on bass.

More Tulsa music. Steve Pryor was a fellow Nathan Hale Ranger. Back then, he had a band with Jimmy Strader on bass, in later days it was Stan Reed. Pryor was also an important player on Hale's 1972 State Championship Football team. RIP, Steve Pryor.

More Tulsa music. Steve Pryor was a fellow Nathan Hale Ranger. Back then, he had a band with Jimmy Strader on bass, in later days it was Stan Reed. Pryor was also an important player on Hale's 1972 State Championship Football team. RIP, Steve Pryor.

Used to love going to Joeys and hearing SP and the Mighty KingSnakes... I remember our Offensive line killing a case of Colt 45 apiece when he did a show in the Hut..

Used to love going to Joeys and hearing SP and the Mighty KingSnakes..
After Flash Terry died in 2005, Steve Pryor & The Mighty Kingsnakes was about the only live blues band worth a flip in Tulsa. Then, he pulls a Gary Busey, wrecks his motorcycle & kills himself at age 60. What a tragedy! He cut several blues cd's and all got featured in "Living Blues" magazine, the top blues mag in the country.

Bring back Joey's! (or a reasonable facimile thereof). Live blues clubs in this town do not exist since then.

After Flash Terry died in 2005, Steve Pryor & The Mighty Kingsnakes was about the only live blues band worth a flip in Tulsa. Then, he pulls a Gary Busey, wrecks his motorcycle & kills himself at age 60. What a tragedy! He cut several blues cd's and all got featured in "Living Blues" magazine, the top blues mag in the country.

Bring back Joey's! (or a reasonable facimile thereof). Live blues clubs in this town do not exist since then.
Once Joey's relocated it was not the same.

I was shocked & amazed that a motorcycle beat the Drugs to the punch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT