ADVERTISEMENT

Music.......sweet, sweet Music

quincy101

I.T.S. Position Coach
Nov 4, 2007
I didn't grow up in Tulsa, but I grew up listening to KELI & KAKC. From Bill Haley & the Comets, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis etc. , I learned quickly how to rock. Then Jazz, such as Weather Report & Return to Forever and big bands like Thad Jones/Mel Lewis & Buddy Rich.

Somehow or another, I even got heavy into Opera, although all my faves made their careers at the Metropolitan Opera in NYC in the 1920's & '30s. People like Ezio Pinza, Elizabeth Rethburg, Ricardo Martinelli, Beniamino Gigli Lauritz Melchior and the sweetest voiced tenor of that time...Jussi Bjoerling who came a bit later.

For the last 30 years, it's been Blues, all Blues & nothin' but the Blues. From Lightnin' Hopkins, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy and most all electric Chicago blues, Miss. Hill country blues with R.L. Burnside, T-Model Ford, Junior ?? can't remember last), acoustic or electric, I like most all of it.

So, I'd like to hear from others where music was such a big part of their life. Fav artists, style of music, fav bands or orchestras....just all music, all the time.

Last edited:
I started listening to music in the mid- to late- 70s and always tended to like "older" stuff. So in the late 70s I listened to more early 70s or late 60s music. I also like off-the-beaten-path music. Very big into progressive rock from the early 70s including lesser known acts like Van Der Graaf Generator and Gentle Giant. But I would say that over the years my tastes have been eclectic.

Genesis
The Cars
John Cale (of the Velvet Underground, not JJ)
New Order
Love and Rockets
The Cult
U2
Adam and the Ants
Crowded House
Jethro Tull
Roxy Music
St. Vincent (more recently)
King Crimson
Marillion
Prince
De La Soul
Pink Floyd
Beatles (of course)
B52s
Steve Miller Band
Fleetwood Mac

I have teenage daughters and have been surprised how much I enjoy some of their music finds. There is a lot of 80s post-punk, simple rock music out there. Nothing on the radio. It all comes to them via streaming.

Music has been a huge part of my life. Traveling to concerts to this day. My main regret is not taking up the guitar until I was past 50. I am 57 now and progress has been painfully slow. But at least I have more of an appreciation for what those guys are doing.

Last edited:
I’ve been stuck with the same playlist for about 40 years.

We find a way to follow the Stones, U2 and AC/DC whenever they are in the region. If they don’t tour again, we were fortunate enough to see Brian Johnson’s final show in KC a few years back.

The best I’ve ever seen was Queen. Mr. Mercury was one of a kind.

The worst was Blue Oyster Cult at the Windjammer Lounge. I’m surprised they didn’t burn the place down.

The only group that really makes me change the station is Guns & Roses. I can’t stand that noise.

Reactions: quincy101
Have always loved music, and my parents invested in a piano and while I took lessons I found it much easier to play by ear.

Exposed to music that my depression era parents listened to - big band, show tunes, etc but found music with my friends at Kendall elementary. Most of us listened to KAKC in the mid to late 60s and so a variety of genres made it to my A list -

Roy Orbison
Beatles
Stones
Motown (Temptations, Four Tops, Ronettes, etc)

Got older and the music changed as did my preferences.

Prog rock and punk rock artists began to fill in more of my playlists along with artists representing the Tulsa Sound -

Jim Sweney
Leon Russell
JJ Cale
Marcia Ball
Patti Smith
Todd Rundgren / Utopia
David Bowie
Queen
Renaissance
Pink Floyd
Steely Dan
Dead Kennedys

It has been fun to see some of these artists perform live - some multiple times. It didn’t hurt that I worked at KAKC a few years during high school and my first couple of years at TU.

The good thing is that I’ve tried to stay open to listening to newer artists and different genres than I might be familiar with and my kids help me in that respect.

Last edited:
Have always loved music, and my parents invested in a piano and while I took lessons I found it much easier to play by ear.

Exposed to music that my depression era parents listened to - big band, show tunes, etc but found music with my friends at Kendall elementary. Most of us listened to KAKC in the mid to late 60s and so a variety of genres made it to my A list -

Beatles
Stones
Motown (Temptations, Four Tops, etc)

Prog rock and punk rock artists began to fill up more of my playlists along with artists representing the Tulsa Sound -

Jim Sweney
Leon Russell
JJ Cale
Patti Smith
Todd Rundgren / Utopia
David Bowie
Queen
Renaissance
Pink Floyd
Steely Dan
Dead Kennedys

It has been fun to see some of these artists perform live - some multiple times.

The good thing is that I’ve tried to stay open to listening to newer artists and different genres than I might be familiar with and my kids help me in that respect.
Renaissance is one you don't hear mentioned much. Annie Haslam with her lovely voice. Even a semi hit in some parts of the world with the Northern Lights. Can You Hear Me sticks in my mind too.

I have been trying to learn guitar chords for Todd Rundgren's I Saw the Light the past few days. Side note that his production work on XTC's Skylarking was outstanding.

Reactions: TU 1978

Roy Orbison
Beatles
Stones
Motown (Temptations, Four Tops, Ronettes, etc)

Prog rock and punk rock artists began to fill in more of my playlists along with artists representing the Tulsa Sound -

Jim Sweney
Leon Russell
JJ Cale
Marcia Ball
Patti Smith
Todd Rundgren / Utopia
David Bowie
Queen
Renaissance
Pink Floyd
Steely Dan
Dead Kennedys

It has been fun to see some of these artists perform live - some multiple times. It didn’t hurt that I worked at KAKC a few years during high school and my first couple of years at TU.

John Cale was also closely linked to Patti Smith and produced her most famous album (and the Stooges and the Modern Lovers). I have travelled to see him live 4 times now. Most recently in 2022 I think. Interesting fellow with roots in classical and avant garde music and IMO the secret ingredient that made the first two Velvet Underground albums groundbreaking. Not really Lou Reed.

Last edited:
John Cale was also closely linked to Patti Smith and produced her most famous album (and the Stooges and the Modern Lovers). I have travelled to see him live 4 times now. Most recently in 2022 I think. Interesting fellow with roots in classical and avant garde music and IMO the secret ingredient that made the first two Velvet Underground albums groundbreaking. Not really Lou Reed.
John Cale covered a Bowie song as well.

Reactions: drboobay
John Cale covered a Bowie song as well.

He has a new album called Mercy. It is very good but highly unconventional - the kind of thing you need to listen to start to end on headphones 4 or 5 times before rendering judgment. Groundbreaking work for someone age 80.

He has a new album called Mercy. It is very good but highly unconventional - the kind of thing you need to listen to start to end on headphones 4 or 5 times before rendering judgment. Groundbreaking work for someone age 80.
Here is the closing track.

Not really Lou Reed.
One of the hardest rockin albums I ever heard was Lou Reed's "Rock & Roll Animal". Unfortunately, the lyrics to most of these tunes, eg.Heroin, White Light-White Heat, Sweet Jane were for those hooked on the hard stuff. But if you disregarded the lyrics, Reed's two guitarists-Dick Wagner & Steve Hunter, playing mostly in tandem a la Thin Lizzy(only much better), just drove the music into R&R history. Reed's vocal quality, didn't.

Speaking of Thin Lizzy, I miss Phil Lynott and particularly Gary Moore, his brilliant guitarist later on-both of whom passed much too early.

Old country style(cash, nelson, webb pierce, lyle lovett)

Sacred Music

Classical

Jazz(Miles, Thelonius, Coltrane, Ellington, Cab Callaway, Irakere )

Big Band

New Big Band

Americana

Rockabilly

Alt Rock(modern english, the church, The The, Nick Cave)

Some Heavy Metal(Metallica, G & R, Smithereens, The Cult)

Punk(Husker Du, Sex Pistols, Suicidal Tendencies, X)

Goth Rock(Bauhaus, Peter Murphy, Nine Inch Nails, New Order)

Newish Stuff I like(last 20 years) Ray Lamontagne, Paoli Nutini, Lana Del Ray, Gorillaz, Bronze Radio Return)

Classic Stuff that stands by itself and needs a special mention(Bowie, Van Morrison, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits)

Modern Folk(Indigo Girls, Mazzy Star, Cowboy Junkies, KD Lang)

Blues(Traditional & Modern)

Motown(Big Love for me. )

Funk(Also Big Love for me. )

Reggae/Ska

Bluegrass

Soul/Rhythm & Blues(bobbie blue bland, bill withers, latimore)

Limited Opera(Love Certain pieces from certain operas)

Limited Rap(Arested Development, tupac, NWA, Public Enemy)

Garage Bands

60's Rock(Beatles, Stones, Doors)

70's Rock

80's Rock(New Wave, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Tom Petty, etc. The gamut since this was when i went thru high school & college)

Every Other kind of Rock that followed.

Mid Era Folk( jim croce, james taylor, Cat stevens, harry chapin)

Don't particularly care for Rap as a medium, consider it a tool when mixed with a style of music, jazz, reggae, etc. Which pretty much puts me outside of most modern music.

I can find something in just about any kind of genre that I want in my record collection.

My hates: Smooth Jazz, Adult Country, Rap as a genre.

Hate Taylor Swift with a passion.

Last edited:
I started listening to music in the mid- to late- 70s and always tended to like "older" stuff. So in the late 70s I listened to more early 70s or late 60s music. I also like off-the-beaten-path music. Very big into progressive rock from the early 70s including lesser known acts like Van Der Graaf Generator and Gentle Giant. But I would say that over the years my tastes have been eclectic.

Genesis
The Cars
John Cale (of the Velvet Underground, not JJ)
New Order
Love and Rockets
The Cult
U2
Adam and the Ants
Crowded House
Jethro Tull
Roxy Music
St. Vincent (more recently)
King Crimson
Marillion
Prince
De La Soul
Pink Floyd
Beatles (of course)
B52s
Steve Miller Band
Fleetwood Mac

I have teenage daughters and have been surprised how much I enjoy some of their music finds. There is a lot of 80s post-punk, simple rock music out there. Nothing on the radio. It all comes to them via streaming.

Music has been a huge part of my life. Traveling to concerts to this day. My main regret is not taking up the guitar until I was past 50. I am 57 now and progress has been painfully slow. But at least I have more of an appreciation for what those guys are doing.
You are one of the few Marillion fans I have come across. I love them.

Old country style(cash, nelson, webb pierce, lyle lovett)
Dang G$, I think you've covered most all the bases. Good for you! My old timey Country faves include Ray Price, Johnny C., Waylon, Merle Haggard, Tammy W., and another who passed way too soon..Patsy Cline.

Dang G$, I think you've covered most all the bases. Good for you! My old timey Country faves include Ray Price, Johnny C., Waylon, Merle Haggard, Tammy W., and another who passed way too soon..Patsy Cline.
Memory lane for me is Charlie Rich Behind Closed Doors.

I love going to see Hank III in concert. That's speed metal/country all in one.

Is that it for music? How about everybody's favorite guitar players? My top 3 would be: SRV, Hendrix and the recently deceased Jeff Beck, although the constant use of his whammy bar got a little weird, there's no denying his greatness. In jazz, Pat Metheny & Lee Ritenour. In blues, I love the guys that play way fewer notes, but those notes that speak to you & fit the tune, such as Little Milton, Eddie C. Campbell and many others.

I've got to mention an electric bass player named Jaco Pastorius. A jazz giant that could play anything on his ax.....anything. Paul McCartney ain't bad either.

Guitar. Here is a guy everyone should check out. Andrew Latimer of Camel. Perfect clean tone and one of the very best of his generation.

Is that it for music? How about everybody's favorite guitar players? My top 3 would be: SRV, Hendrix and the recently deceased Jeff Beck, although the constant use of his whammy bar got a little weird, there's no denying his greatness. In jazz, Pat Metheny & Lee Ritenour. In blues, I love the guys that play way fewer notes, but those notes that speak to you & fit the tune, such as Little Milton, Eddie C. Campbell and many others.

I've got to mention an electric bass player named Jaco Pastorius. A jazz giant that could play anything on his ax.....anything. Paul McCartney ain't bad either.
If you like Jaco Pastorius...

Were you a fan of local Jimmy Strader?

He was in the Pat Murray Trio w/ a good friend of mine.(Jazz) Played with everybody that was anybody around Oklahoma.(Blues/Jazz/Rock/Country)

Last edited:

He was in the Pat Murray Trio w/ a good friend of mine.(Jazz) Played with everybody that was anybody around Oklahoma.(Blues/Jazz/Rock/Country)
For bass I would vote Tony Levin. He has done session work and is in Peter Gabriel's band. But his most notable work has been with King Crimson from 1981 to 2022. From "Discipline" onward. Got to meet him at the Admiral's Club lounge at the Denver airport as well!

Last edited:
Just going through my stack of most recently listened to CD's (yes, I still have them. Wish I still had my vinyl collection).

Squeeze - Singles
Jeff Beck _ Wired
Birth of the Cool (Miles Davis, Lee Konitz and others)
Beatles - Rubber Soul
Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour '74
Todd Rundgren's Utopia
Paul Westerberg - 14 songs
Sonny Rollins 1950's Anthology

I also like Kasim Sulton for bass. He’s played with multiple bands including Blue Oyster Cult and Utopia.

Multiple keyboard / synthesizer players come to mind including Keith Emerson, Rick Wakefield, Rod Argent and Roger Powell.

Reactions: 'Cane-man

I knew Jimmy Strader at Nathan Hale HS. Even at that young age, he was an extraordinary talent.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Just going through my stack of most recently listened to CD's (yes, I still have them. Wish I still had my vinyl collection).

Squeeze - Singles
Jeff Beck _ Wired
Birth of the Cool (Miles Davis, Lee Konitz and others)
Beatles - Rubber Soul
Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour '74
Todd Rundgren's Utopia
Paul Westerberg - 14 songs
Sonny Rollins 1950's Anthology
I'm a big Squeeze fan.

I also like Kasim Sulton for bass. He’s played with multiple bands including Blue Oyster Cult and Utopia.

Multiple keyboard / synthesizer players come to mind including Keith Emerson, Rick Wakefield, Rod Argent and Roger Powell.
Keith Emerson was the big innovator with The Nice. Hendrix of the keyboards for showmanship. Glad I was able to see him perform twice.

Sorry guys. Haven't heard of Levin, Strader or Latimer-but I'm going to check Levin & Latimer

out on youtube. Tulsa sucks for live blues ever since Joey's club down at the end of South Peoria closed. And the city dumped it's annual blues festival 15-20 years ago, but I've been to the Dusk to Dawn blues fest at Rentiesville several times. So, I don't do much live music around here any more. It's mostly vinyl & CD's.

Another bass guitar player that always blew me away was John Entwistle of The Who. And speaking of local bass players, many have heard of Carl Radle. One of the "Tulsa Sound" guys who hooked up with Eric Clapton way back and played bass on Clapton's Derek & the Dominoes "Layla" album. And when Clapton got dried out from booze & drugs back in the '70's, his first album(461 Ocean Blvd.), after that was all Tulsa sound guys, including Radle, Dick Sims-keyboards & Jamie Oldaker-drums.

Sorry guys. Haven't heard of Levin, Strader or Latimer-but I'm going to check Levin & Latimer

out on youtube. Tulsa sucks for live blues ever since Joey's club down at the end of South Peoria closed. And the city dumped it's annual blues festival 15-20 years ago, but I've been to the Dusk to Dawn blues fest at Rentiesville several times. So, I don't do much live music around here any more. It's mostly vinyl & CD's.

Another bass guitar player that always blew me away was John Entwistle of The Who. And speaking of local bass players, many have heard of Carl Radle. One of the "Tulsa Sound" guys who hooked up with Eric Clapton way back and played bass on Clapton's Derek & the Dominoes "Layla" album. And when Clapton got dried out from booze & drugs back in the '70's, his first album(461 Ocean Blvd.), after that was all Tulsa sound guys, including Radle, Dick Sims-keyboards & Jamie Oldaker-drums.
John E - The Ox! He had some fun and weird solo albums too!

Just a few tidbits...

I was blessed to see Cab Calloway I think it was at Juneteenth, not that long before he died. He passed away maybe 6 or 8 months after that show I think. He was still a dynamo. He danced up a storm while he was singing.

Another couple of guys I saw at Juneteenth(and many other times) was Flash Terry and John Lee Hooker. Flash was sitting in with the Kmod All Stars as a back up band for John Lee for a little bit. Don't be offended but I never thought much of the KMOD All Stars. A little bit after they started, I saw John Lee look over his shoulder with admiration and joy. He looked straight at Flash, not anybody else. Flash returned that look needless to say. I love seeing moments like that. I felt like John Lee was saying, I don't know these clowns you are playing with, but respect to you.

I got a chance to see Bob Mould of Husker Du & Sugar, on a solo tour for his Sound on Sound tour in Chicago. It was a tiny bar. I couldn't believe I got to see him in that intimate of a show. Then he took a break, and came and sat next to me at the bar. We talked one on one for 15 min. I was so flabbergasted I don't even know what I said. He has been so influential with so many musicians.

Last edited:
Reactions: 'Cane-man
If you like country, and don't know them...

Check out Turnpike Troubadours from Tahlequah, Ok.

Goodbye Normal Street and Diamonds & Gasoline are the two albums you should check out.

Another couple of guys I saw at Juneteenth(and many other times) was Flash Terry
Just loved Flash Terry in particular, & his Uptown Blues Band. My wife knew him well as she worked with him at Tulsa Transit & they went antique shopping together. We were such good friends with Flash that he brought his band to our wedding reception & played for free. I used to see Flash at the off track (horse) betting facility at the fairgrounds and every time he would drag me out to his car, try to sell me his latest album and then use the money to place a few bets.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I didn't grow up in Tulsa, but I grew up listening to KELI & KAKC. From Bill Haley & the Comets, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis etc. , I learned quickly how to rock. Then Jazz, such as Weather Report & Return to Forever and big bands like Thad Jones/Mel Lewis & Buddy Rich.

Somehow or another, I even got heavy into Opera, although all my faves made their careers at the Metropolitan Opera in NYC in the 1920's & '30s. People like Ezio Pinza, Elizabeth Rethburg, Ricardo Martinelli, Beniamino Gigli Lauritz Melchior and the sweetest voiced tenor of that time...Jussi Bjoerling who came a bit later.

For the last 30 years, it's been Blues, all Blues & nothin' but the Blues. From Lightnin' Hopkins, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy and most all electric Chicago blues, Miss. Hill country blues with R.L. Burnside, T-Model Ford, Junior ?? can't remember last), acoustic or electric, I like most all of it.

So, I'd like to hear from others where music was such a big part of their life. Fav artists, style of music, fav bands or orchestras....just all music, all the time.
Since you get into blues, I thought I'd drop one of my favorite things to do, which is find cool covers. This certainly didn't start out as a blues tune by any means. The arranging on this, and just killing it as a blues tune is righteous. This is a guy that did covers on youtube a few years back. He was just a young pup, and went by Noah. His intro is kinda funny.

Steven Wilson and his original band Porcupine Tree are favorites of mine. Genius music.

I forgot to even mention one of my faves.

I really love this guy to death. Glenn Hansard writes depressing self help music for the depressed. Of course he's Irish.(two of my favorite descriptions of a musician, Irish & depressing) He makes Leonard Cohen & sometimes even Morrisey seem cheery. He's a multi talented musician. He wrote the music, wrote the script, directed, and acted in a gem of an independent film called 'Once'. He was the guitarist in a really brilliant film many of you probably have seen, 'The Commitments'. He's been doing mostly solo work for a while, but he formed and still plays in 'The Frames'. His solo work is what I dig. If you like this then I feel for you, that you might share my affinity for sorrowful music.

His music builds to a crescendo of emotion. The words to this are really beautiful, he's definitely a poet.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT