ADVERTISEMENT

High School Football Title Picks Again Im Almost Forgot Sorry

Bixby would prefer to run the ball and use screen and swing passes as an extension of the running game. To beat Bixby you must force them to throw the ball. Something their sophomore QB doesn’t yet do very well. Jenks D did a nice job in the first half rallying to the ball. They were also aided by a number of holding calls. Bixby made some adjustments and took over in the second half.
Bixby's QB looked capable of throwing downfield when he needed to. I'd trust him a lot more than I'd trust the Jenks QBs right now. And having watched an entire season of 6A football this year, I think Union has the only QB in the state that I'd trust to throw the ball frequently. Owasso's QB seems capable of doing it but I think BB has made that offense to simple and has taken reads out of his QBs hands. And they tend to throw the ball to the same player over and over and over to the point it becomes predictable. As for a potential Owasso/Bixby semi, Owasso's DBs are not very good. Bixby can throw the ball on them. And Bixby's OL seemed capable enough to block up front. BB wants to throw the ball with his offense the issue is against Union, that's a losing proposition because the DBs are very good and even the bubble screens get blown up for losses b/c the DBs have made themselves difficult to block and they seems to know what's coming on those plays. I've seen very few work from a scheme standpoint against Union and usually the only success comes from a missed tackle. Running the football against Union is a better plan but even after the 1st couple of series Union seems to bow up against the run some, but I still think the edges are vulnerable for Union in their base alignment (which they don't seem to stray from much).

Union’s QB will be back for the playoffs. He went through warmups last game. The starting RB too was warming up. I’m sure they were just held out because that game meant nothing and it gives them a lot more time to get healthy

Reactions: TU_BLA
Union’s QB will be back for the playoffs. He went through warmups last game. The starting RB too was warming up. I’m sure they were just held out because that game meant nothing and it gives them a lot more time to get healthy
I think the emergence of the FR QB and him being able to guide the ship and Union to be able to win those last 3 games with relative ease and not have to rush Reisig and Schelling back to win the district and get the bye to avoid Bixby until the end was big. I also think the emergence of Covington in the RB role (where he played in previous years but they seemed to want to leave him on D this season) was a big deal. He's a dynamic RB as he's a little more difficult to get on the ground than Schelling or Carrasco. I know his usage will decrease a bit with Schelling back but I hope they continue to use him back there.

Reactions: 918Golden
I think the emergence of the FR QB and him being able to guide the ship and Union to be able to win those last 3 games with relative ease and not have to rush Reisig and Schelling back to win the district and get the bye to avoid Bixby until the end was big. I also think the emergence of Covington in the RB role (where he played in previous years but they seemed to want to leave him on D this season) was a big deal. He's a dynamic RB as he's a little more difficult to get on the ground than Schelling or Carrasco. I know his usage will decrease a bit with Schelling back but I hope they continue to use him back there.
Union seems to be good at using their best players both ways in the playoffs. Last year Covington got most of his time at RB in the playoffs. I’m sure it woulda happened again this year. Just like Devon Jordan getting a little bit of playing time on offense wouldn’t surprise me.

Broken Arrow loses in the 1st round of the playoffs 21-18 to Norman. BA finishes 3-8 on the season. It's the first time since the 70s that they've had consecutive losing seasons, and also the 1st time the HC has an overall losing record since the 70s. Jake Alexander lit it on fire after they lost with "How's the new direction working out?"

My guess is Josh will get fired and BA will go after Montgomery. He'll turn them down. My next best guess is they'll try Bobby Klinck at Sand Springs who has absolutely turned them around and into a 6A-2 contender. Jenks lineage for Klinck and we know that's what BA has tried to become for years...and they were on the verge of doing that until they fired Alexander because he pissed the booster off and didn't want to play by the booster club's rules.

Broken Arrow loses in the 1st round of the playoffs 21-18 to Norman. BA finishes 3-8 on the season. It's the first time since the 70s that they've had consecutive losing seasons, and also the 1st time the HC has an overall losing record since the 70s. Jake Alexander lit it on fire after they lost with "How's the new direction working out?"

My guess is Josh will get fired and BA will go after Montgomery. He'll turn them down. My next best guess is they'll try Bobby Klinck at Sand Springs who has absolutely turned them around and into a 6A-2 contender. Jenks lineage for Klinck and we know that's what BA has tried to become for years...and they were on the verge of doing that until they fired Alexander because he pissed the booster off and didn't want to play by the booster club's rules.
Have to wonder if BA will have issues landing a big time hire after how what went down with DA. Suppose money talks in the end but I can’t imagine any HC feeling comfortable going into that situation.

Have to wonder if BA will have issues landing a big time hire after how what went down with DA. Suppose money talks in the end but I can’t imagine any HC feeling comfortable going into that situation.
I think the problem will be BA not revealing how much control a couple of the boosters have during the interview process and from my inside sources, the guy in BA "running" the booster club got run out of Jenks after he got Trimble in trouble for recruiting players.

I think the problem will be BA not revealing how much control a couple of the boosters have during the interview process and from my inside sources, the guy in BA "running" the booster club got run out of Jenks after he got Trimble in trouble for recruiting players.
All those football coaches know each other and talk fairly regularly. There will be no secrets as to the dynamics of the BA job imo.

All those football coaches know each other and talk fairly regularly. There will be no secrets as to the dynamics of the BA job imo.
I wonder if BA (the school district) will approach Alexander and say they're sorry. Will DA listen? Will he tell them to go f*ck themselves? Will he say he'll do it if they ban the booster in question from being part of the program or the booster club?

One, I don't think BA has it in them to admit they made a colossal mistake so I don't think they would ever approach David about returning. And two, I think David is fine without the headache and he doesn't need BA so I don't think he'd listen. But if BA goes after Klinck, I 100% think Sand Springs would approach DA about their opening.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
I wonder if BA (the school district) will approach Alexander and say they're sorry. Will DA listen? Will he tell them to go f*ck themselves? Will he say he'll do it if they ban the booster in question from being part of the program or the booster club?

One, I don't think BA has it in them to admit they made a colossal mistake so I don't think they would ever approach David about returning. And two, I think David is fine without the headache and he doesn't need BA so I don't think he'd listen. But if BA goes after Klinck, I 100% think Sand Springs would approach DA about their opening.
They'll probably hire 5A Coach or 4A Coach or Out Of State

The “Poor BA” chant would echo through the stadium when we played them when I was in high school. It doesn’t seem that much has changed.

The Blankenship kid was terrible in Muskogee and hasn’t changed a bit. It looks like they got what they paid for.

The regular season is only for seeding.
As long as the OSSAA get their cut of the ticket sales they’ll let as many teams in as possible. There was talk at one time of letting everyone participate.

Plus, there’s no such thing as too much football.

As long as the OSSAA get their cut of the ticket sales they’ll let as many teams in as possible. There was talk at one time of letting everyone participate.

Plus, there’s no such thing as too much football.
And with only 16 teams in 6A-1 and 6A-2, letting everyone in the playoffs still wouldn't be terrible. As it is you've played 4 games this weekend to get to a quarterfinal round. I'm not a fan of having weird numbers in the playoffs just so you can rig a bye week in for the top 4 teams. It's like having 7 teams in the playoffs and giving the #1 seed a bye and making 2-7 play to get to 4 teams left. Why not just go with 8. Or doing something stupid like double byes like you see in the ACC basketball tournament. Just dumb.

It's like having 7 teams in the playoffs and giving the #1 seed a bye and making 2-7 play to get to 4 teams left. Why not just go with 8.
I’m sure the NFL will go to 8 per conference as soon as they can come up with an acceptable TV window for a couple more games. The revenue generated from adding the #7 teams is huge.

I’m sure the NFL will go to 8 per conference as soon as they can come up with an acceptable TV window for a couple more games. The revenue generated from adding the #7 teams is huge.
And if they go to 8 per conference then they need to just take the top two teams in the divisions and arrange it so you can't play within your own division until the conference championship game. There's a way to do it

What a great semi final slate we have coming up next weekend :

Owasso - Bixby
Jenks - Union

East side of the state (more specifically the Tulsa metro) once again dominating 6A1 football.

What a great semi final slate we have coming up next weekend :

Owasso - Bixby
Jenks - Union

East side of the state (more specifically the Tulsa metro) once again dominating 6A1 football.
Cue west side tears and cries for legislators to force east side schools to split up. Dumb thing is playing the semis at neutral sites. Bixby and Union won the 2 districts in the state and should be given home field. I would assume OSSAA might Approach TU about hosting next Saturday with a double header since TU is out of town and most students will be away from campus. Otherwise you're looking at Broken Arrow hosting Union and Jenks and possibly Union hosting Owasso and Bixby (or maybe that game goes to Jenks). And then the state championship still going to UCO with 2 Tulsa metro teams instead of looking to play at TU or BA. I always think it's stupid to make teams travel and have that added risk, especially if you've got non-player students from the schools making that drive.

Reactions: lawpoke87
Cue west side tears and cries for legislators to force east side schools to split up. Dumb thing is playing the semis at neutral sites. Bixby and Union won the 2 districts in the state and should be given home field. I would assume OSSAA might Approach TU about hosting next Saturday with a double header since TU is out of town and most students will be away from campus. Otherwise you're looking at Broken Arrow hosting Union and Jenks and possibly Union hosting Owasso and Bixby (or maybe that game goes to Jenks). And then the state championship still going to UCO with 2 Tulsa metro teams instead of looking to play at TU or BA. I always think it's stupid to make teams travel and have that added risk, especially if you've got non-player students from the schools making that drive.

The Tulsa schools are too big. We think about sports. 5200 - 4000 kids is too many.

OSSAS should not sign dumbass contracts that don't have flexibility for such as all west side or all east side contingencies. that would be thinking too much though

6A-1 double header in Sand Springs on Friday.

The Tulsa schools are too big. We think about sports. 5200 - 4000 kids is too many.

OSSAS should not sign dumbass contracts that don't have flexibility for such as all west side or all east side contingencies. that would be thinking too much though
Why? Have you been in any of these schools recently? I can assure you Union has plenty of space for the number of students they have. The students also have more opportunities for involvement, AP classes, on campus TCC classes, extra curriculars and electives than if they would split the school and the resources available. Union, Jenks, and BA have all added facilities and buildings to maintain the same class sizes that the "smaller" west side schools have and I bet my kids get the same attention and access to teachers as the west side schools. IF any of the east side schools were to split it had better be for reasons the local school boards feel will have an added value to the actual students. Contrary to popular belief, they're only purpose for not splitting is not just so they can maintain their football quality.

Why the hell in Sand Springs? That place is a dump with no parking.
It’s very hard to find schools willing to host playoff games on a holiday weekend. 6A just recently went back to playing over Thanksgiving after having skipped that weekend for several years.

Owasso and Union are the designated home teams on Friday.

It’s very hard to find schools willing to host playoff games on a holiday weekend. 6A just recently went back to playing over Thanksgiving after having skipped that weekend for several years.

Owasso and Union are the designated home teams on Friday.
How in the world is Owasso designated the home team when Bixby won their district and Owasso finished 2nd in theirs? Makes zero sense...then again OSSAA never makes a whole lot of sense on anything.

How in the world is Owasso designated the home team when Bixby won their district and Owasso finished 2nd in theirs? Makes zero sense...then again OSSAA never makes a whole lot of sense on anything.
I’m curious as well. Why wouldn’t the higher seed be awarded home team designation ?

I’m curious as well. Why wouldn’t the higher seed be awarded home team designation ?
That’s not how it works for the neutral site semi finals and finals. For years, the home team was determined by the lines and on the bracket. Even numbered lines were the home teams in even years and odd lines in odd years.

But they changed that about 5 years ago though seeding is still not a factor. Now they go by enrollment and put the bigger schools on the home side. Union is bigger than Jenks and Owasso is bigger than Bixby.

The OSSAA got tired of hearing complaints from schools whose fans couldn’t fit in the visitor’s section. Some of these places are pretty small.

The OSSAA got tired of hearing complaints from schools whose fans couldn’t fit in the visitor’s section. Some of these places are pretty small.
I’d be willing to wager Bixby will have more fans at that game than Owasso. Not sure school size should be the sole factor in 6A1. I am glad the games are in the Tulsa metro. Now can we move the championship game here as well? Dumb to force a bunch of Tulsa area kids to drive to Edmond.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I’d be willing to wager Bixby will have more fans at that game than Owasso. Not sure school size should be the sole factor in 6A1. I am glad the games are in the Tulsa metro. Now can we move the championship game here as well? Dumb to force a bunch of Tulsa area kids to drive to Edmond.
I went to the game at Chapman back in August. The crowd was about 60-40 for Owasso but Bixby is catching up. Owasso football is still a community wide event and they do travel well even when a heavy underdog. This will probably just give the Spartans extra incentive to hit 70 this time.

I went to Edmond the first year they played the finals down there. What a mess. They added portable bleachers on wheels to the visitor side, and it looked like the tractor pull was on town. Restrooms and concessions were inadequate as well but parking was pretty good. I hear that UCO invested in some improvements and the games are there to stay for awhile.

That being said, it’s never a good idea to put a bunch of young drivers on the 80 mph turnpike. We even had a state senator try to pass some legislation about this but that failed miserably.

Then why are these sites being considered to host? It's not like any of these 4 schools won't show up and support their teams. And I'm guessing OSSAA made the games on Friday squelch some of the people who might have come out on Saturday but Black Friday is reserved for SHOPPING. It's dumb. They could have had TU on Saturday, plenty of seats so you don't have to do separate admission for each game if people wanted to hang around and watch. I can tell you for certain that the OSSAA has a bunch or morons running it who know football but not much else including how best to host large events and the associated logistics.

Then why are these sites being considered to host? It's not like any of these 4 schools won't show up and support their teams. And I'm guessing OSSAA made the games on Friday squelch some of the people who might have come out on Saturday but Black Friday is reserved for SHOPPING. It's dumb. They could have had TU on Saturday, plenty of seats so you don't have to do separate admission for each game if people wanted to hang around and watch. I can tell you for certain that the OSSAA has a bunch or morons running it who know football but not much else including how best to host large events and the associated logistics.
The sites still have to be willing to host. The OSSAA just can’t call someone up, including TU, and say we’ll be there on Friday. I’m sure BA would have been the first choice but they obviously declined.

There were two factors for why the games are on Friday and not Saturday. #1 is weather as it’s predicted to be about 20 degrees colder on Saturday than Friday.

#2 is the finals schedule. There’s no bye week this year and coaches prefer to not prepare for the championship game on a short week.

Bixby throttled Owasso earlier today 56-14. Union leads Jenks 21-0 just into the 2nd quarter. Union has limited Jenks' running game and is forcing Jenks to throw which is pretty dicey.

Bixby throttled Owasso earlier today 56-14. Union leads Jenks 21-0 just into the 2nd quarter. Union has limited Jenks' running game and is forcing Jenks to throw which is pretty dicey.
Bixby - Owasso was 14-14 midway through the 3rd quarter and then the damn broke. Bixby is almost impossible to defend if they can run the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT