ADVERTISEMENT

WTF... way too many penalties called

ECU came in like the 8th least penalized team in the country.

The head ref just starts talking on the mike without even being sure what the flag was.

Intentionally grounding is an INTENT penalty. It has to be done intentionally to save yardage. If the qb is not in danger of being sacked, a god awful throw to a receiver who broke off his route isn't grounding.

Also...thanks ECU for calling timeouts for that last TD. Really saved face on that one.

Kelly confirmed this was the same crew from the SMU game. I didn't think it was called terribly bad, but way too many penalties.

Penalties aside, when their guy catches the ball and runs two full steamboats up-field before having the ball knocked away by a Tulsa defender, it's a damn fumble. Instant replay CONFIRMED it, and those butt clowns didn't call it right on the field OR on the replay. That was the biggest travesty of the night in terms of officiating.

Penalties aside, when their guy catches the ball and runs two full steamboats up-field before having the ball knocked away by a Tulsa defender, it's a damn fumble. Instant replay CONFIRMED it, and those butt clowns didn't call it right on the field OR on the replay. That was the biggest travesty of the night in terms of officiating.

They had to call it that way on the replay. They should have let the play run out then make their ruling. Instead they blew it dead and then even if the replay crew had said it was a fumble there wasn't anything they could do about it.

Intentionally grounding is an INTENT penalty. It has to be done intentionally to save yardage. If the qb is not in danger of being sacked, a god awful throw to a receiver who broke off his route isn't grounding.

Also...thanks ECU for calling timeouts for that last TD. Really saved face on that one.
They called it correctly. It's the same call that was made at the end of the OSU-CMU game.

They had to call it that way on the replay. They should have let the play run out then make their ruling. Instead they blew it dead and then even if the replay crew had said it was a fumble there wasn't anything they could do about it.
I'm not arguing what you are saying, I'm just throwing in what they said on the radio broadcast. They said they could place the ball where the ball carrier was standing when the play was called dead.

But he official who blew the play dead was 20 to 30 yards away and didn't have the angle. There was another official who was a few feet away and thought it was a live ball. That's he issue -- officials guessing and screwing it up. THAT official doesn't need to do another game in this league.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
They called it correctly. It's the same call that was made at the end of the OSU-CMU game.

The OSU QB intentionally threw the ball out of bounds. Our QB and receiver miscommunicated, and the intent was to complete a pass. First time I've ever seen that called.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
I'm not arguing what you are saying, I'm just throwing in what they said on the radio broadcast. They said they could place the ball where the ball carrier was standing when the play was called dead.
It would have been placed where the ball was recovered by TU...and there was a clear and immediate recovery. My understanding is the review determined the receiver never had full control of the ball when he got it. The replay on the video board looked like he had it and took 2 steps but we never get the close in view or extended views replace officials get.

The OSU QB intentionally threw the ball out of bounds. Our QB and receiver miscommunicated, and the intent was to complete a pass. First time I've ever seen that called.
I think Mason Rudolph got called for intentional grounding against KState on Saturday where he was under pressure and he threw a fly route pass and the receiver ran a quick out. The difference was he was actually under pressure from a blitz and got drilled as he threw the ball. Dane was not under any pressure on the pass he got called for grounding.

This is taken from an explanation of the rules as prepared by the College Football Officiating, llc.
"Note 1: In all cases except when the ball is thrown directly into the ground, there is no foul unless there is pressure on the passer"

Simply put, the litmus test as to whether the QB was throwing the ball away is was he under pressure? If yes, then proceed to the next couple of guidelines to determine if there was intentional grounding. Dane wasn't under any pressure on that play. It was just plain silly. I am sure that will be one of the plays sent to the league for review this week.

Reactions: URedskin54
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT