ADVERTISEMENT

World government ... Coming soon

WATU2

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
May 29, 2001
One of the most virulent conservatives have levied against the UN and other groups is that it is a conspiracy to rob the US of its sovereignty by entering into spme sort of worldwide government organization.

Is this any different?

Actually, a lot of the support for the TPP treaty came from the Republican side of the aisle. Unions, the long time friends of the Democratic Party, are not so hot on it. I'm not knowledgeable enough about world trade to have an opinion. But support and opposition to it come from within both parties. Obama is for it, Hillary was but now is against it. You bring a fringe group in and knock them down, whoopee.

Last edited:
I'm not knowledgeable enough about world trade to have an opinion.

Agreed. It is not a small or even a "fringe" issue whatever that means. It removes sovereignty from governments and moves it to a system developed in secret (fast track) negotiated by banks and multinationals. yes, the main support is Republican but as it benefits deep pockets the most, it will pass.

Last edited:
Practically every trade agreement we've entered into over the last 20 plus years have harmed the American worker. Both parties are owned by big business. The American people bail out the auto industry and their response.....open up more factories in Mexico taking advantage of NAFTA. Everyone talks about the decline of the middle class yet we pass treaties and legislation which eliminate those jobs they historically work.

Reactions: WATU2
I didn't say it was a fringe issue, you misunderstood, possibly intentionally.

Your sentence was

"One of the most virulent conservatives have levied against the UN and other groups is that it is a conspiracy to rob the US of its sovereignty by entering into spme sort of worldwide government organization."

I assume there is a missing word between virulent and levied, perhaps "charges? goes in there somewhere leaving in doubt whether the conservatives were virulent or their claims where virulent or perhaps both. But the effect was not to say that the issue was fringe but that the conservatives or their position was fringe or far out on the edge.

I clearly said fringe group, meaning those who believe the UN is about to become a world government.

So, Watu, you mixed things up twice. First your sentence was missing a word and second I said fringe group and you changed it to fringe issue. The issue is important.

"whatever" a fringe issue is isn't important, since I didn't say it.

I didn't say it was a fringe issue, you misunderstood, possibly intentionally.

Your sentence was

"One of the most virulent conservatives have levied against the UN and other groups is that it is a conspiracy to rob the US of its sovereignty by entering into spme sort of worldwide government organization."

I assume there is a missing word between virulent and levied, perhaps "charges? goes in there somewhere leaving in doubt whether the conservatives were virulent or their claims where virulent or perhaps both. But the effect was not to say that the issue was fringe but that the conservatives or their position was fringe or far out on the edge.

I clearly said fringe group, meaning those who believe the UN is about to become a world government.

So, Watu, you mixed things up twice. First your sentence was missing a word and second I said fringe group and you changed it to fringe issue. The issue is important.

"whatever" a fringe issue is isn't important, since I didn't say it.

That reply to you was designed to waste your time. IMO.

Reactions: TUMe
Agreed Poke.

It is sort of like those who whine about government death panels and ignore the fact that health insurance companies have a profit motive to deny health care.

Others worry or complain that the US gives up its leadership role in international affairs while supporting secret negotiations that include banks and multinationals but exclude the public and their elected representatives to create treaties that supersede national sovereignty.

What could go wrong?

Last edited:
I assume those who scream "death panels" have never dealt with an insurance company who refuses to approve potential life saving treatments.

Ironic that we have politicians talking about solving issues such as income inequality and the shrinking middle class who then turn around and support agreements and tax policies which encourage the shipment of those middle class jobs out of this country. Shouldn't our tax policies and trade practices be geared toward encouraging companies to manufacture goods on U.S. soil by U.S. workers?

How can companies who have been saved by the U.S. taxpayer in good conscious turn around and ship middle class jobs abroad? Maybe a better question is why do we allow it?

Our tax legislation and the profit motive make it necessary for the company if they are to receive a good bottom line, which raises the value of the company's shares. The fact that we are competing with China, Mexico, India, etcetera for jobs is a lot of the reason our middle class has disappeared. They work for less. I don't think we want to fully admit that this plays just as large a share in the disappearing middle class as the income being distributed to the 1%'ers. They are both daunting problems that require a creative answer we haven't come up with(lack of genius), and a creative answer that congress doesn't want to (nor will they) come up with.(vested interest)

Reactions: TUMe
Our tax legislation and the profit motive make it necessary for the company if they are to receive a good bottom line, which raises the value of the company's shares. The fact that we are competing with China, Mexico, India, etcetera for jobs is a lot of the reason our middle class has disappeared. They work for less. I don't think we want to fully admit that this plays just as large a share in the disappearing middle class as the income being distributed to the 1%'ers. They are both daunting problems that require a creative answer we haven't come up with(lack of genius), and a creative answer that congress doesn't want to (nor will they) come up with.(vested interest)

One thing we can do is try to learn what works in other countries. Germany for example is the evonomic engine of Europe despite high wages and richer, stronger social safety net. One contributer is their use of an apprentice and trade skills education program. There are ideas and answers out there if we would look.

Just whinning about taxes, walls and wages or negotiating trade deal after trade deal is basically just sticking our heads in the sand.

I'm not sure policies can be easily transferable from country to country because of economies of scale and culture. (IE Germany, Nordic countries, etc.) But yes those ideas definitely need to be examined.

Politics and economics are by no means an exact science.

Oops, it looks like I took over the crossfire board for the last hour or so. Sorry!

Germany is a unique situation. They do indeed pay relatively high wages. They also have a trade surplus (unlike the U.S.). They have also resisted the mass outsourcing of jobs to take advantage of cheap labor like their U.S. Counterparts. Why one might ask?

Germany produced products like BMWs instead of Chevys. They value high quality products and sell them world-wide for a premium. To maintain this quality they utiltize highly skilled labor and engineers and pay accordingly. This is their model and it is a success.

Remember the Tagline "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten"? Friends of mine who ran a furniture manufacturing business in Asia had two quality levels: a low price/low quality line for the US and a high quality/higher price line for Japan and Germany. They basically learned that the US was interested in surface looks and a low price, while other markets would insist on quality and would pay for it.

The insistence on quality has paid off for Germany in manufacturing their own products for export.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT