ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup Thread

England didn’t want to lose to us and have us beat Iran. They don’t want to play the Dutch in the next round. They want two wins and a tie at worst. So they were playing not to lose with superior talent at most positions. We were under talented with deficient subs. But trying to win. So a draw makes sense. We did a heckuva a job playing to win and gambled a lot that Holden for whatever reason wouldn’t talk about. On two or three corners Dest was the sole defender in the middle with Ream and Zim both in the box. Musah and McKinnie were quite often in front of the forwards. We played to win except in the last ten minutes and I’m here for it.

Shaq Moore was a disaster. 3 maybe 4 fouls. Two give always. Worst still, very slow if at all on the track back when he was dispossessed. He should not see the field again. Was worse off the ball than on it. We quite literally could play better with just 10 men. At least with 10 he would not be creating problems or giving the bell away.

The players need to calm down and not lose their heads. Musah shooting the ball into the England goal after he was called for a foul could have drawn yellow and he would miss the Iran match. Dest and CP constantly speaking to the ref. Lots of mental discipline problems last 15 minutes in the first half when we were pressing and couldn’t score.

Wright better on combination play and drawing defenders to him than Sargent. Sargent better on the runs clearing space. He needs to connect with the ball when it comes to him and he has struggled with that. Sargent and Gio were there for a run out to freshen up for Iran. If you go back and look at our shape and decisions we weren’t really trying to press and score the last ten minutes unless there was a breakdown. Which never came. Tough to grade Sargent and Gio under those conditions.

Zimmerman proving why he’s only playing because three guys are hurt.

It’s absurd we spent three years installing a system and formations that Ream is ill suited for, only at the last minute to add him to the club and revert back to a 4-4–2 bucket. What the heck were we doing for the last three years? Some kind of weird distraction or cover up of what we planned to do?

England has the talent to win it all. They do not have the fitness.

Last edited:
The crowd noise is so much louder than the broadcasters. I can't even hear what they are saying. Fox needs to fix this.
You ain’t missing anything. Strong and Holden are terrible. The Twitter and TikTok videos from abroad making fun of Holden are hysterical.

Ian is ok and familiar. JP is excellent. There are so many better choices. Landon in the booth isn’t where his talents are suited.

"It’s absurd we spent three years installing a system and formations that Ream is ill suited for, only at the last minute to add him to the club and revert back to a 4-4–2 bucket. What the heck were we doing for the last three years? Some kind of weird distraction or cover up of what we planned to do?"

My son saw the different formation within 30 seconds and thought we would have a good game and get some pressure because of it. He's way more analytical about the game than I am. It worked against England because they're not blazing fast in the spots that could really hurt us. We took away Kane for the most part and he really only got one good look (the header) the entire game. IMO, Mount was England's best player today. Bellingham and Saka had good games as well. Rice and Trippier pretty much were vanishing acts today, as was Sterling. I think the only time I heard Sterling's name was when they were subbing him off.

I would like to say if this US team shows up on Tuesday, there's a good chance to go through. The connection through the midfield, more Pulisic on the ball through the MF just created so many chances. McKennie's was the best and he really needs to do better with it.

Tim Weah was the one who scored against Wales.

Overall, a solid performance. Not great, but serviceable. Agree about not liking Moore out there. He looked timid and uncomfortable when faced with any amount of pressure from England.

The good thing about a draw is now our fate is squarely in our own hands. Win and we’re in. And if we can’t beat Iran, then we don’t deserve to be in the knockout stages anyway.
My mistake, Sargent should have had our first goal but that just wide shot stuck with me.

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
If Beer?halter doesn't jack around too much with the starters, I predict a 3-0 victory vs Iran. This bunch is due to break out with some goals and C. Pulisic will get one.

Reactions: drboobay
If Beer?halter doesn't jack around too much with the starters, I predict a 3-0 victory vs Iran. This bunch is due to break out with some goals and C. Pulisic will get one.
Hope so.

Player for player we are much better but we have to perform. Hopefully we repeat our gritty and focused form.

45% of the possession. 10 shots. 7 corners to 3 for England. Stats I’m not used to seeing from the US against a top European side. Came away fairly impressed.

We’ve played well enough to win both games (definitely more so against the Welsh), which is encouraging even with the final results. Overall, I’ve been mildly surprised (in a good way) with the quality of our play. We don’t look like world-beaters, but we looked like we belonged against England.

We’ve played well enough to win both games (definitely more so against the Welsh), which is encouraging even with the final results. Overall, I’ve been mildly surprised (in a good way) with the quality of our play. We don’t look like world-beaters, but we looked like we belonged against England.
+none of that matters if we do not win Tuesday. Style points come after goals in priority.

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
Illustration- Argentina did not win too many style points today but won 2 -0. I would take that every day over a 0-0 beautiful game.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
SIAP but Jimmy Conrad reporting that Reyna being held out of the first game and limited minutes in the second is a result of behavior/maturity issues by Reyna both with coaches and the team.

SIAP but Jimmy Conrad reporting that Reyna being held out of the first game and limited minutes in the second is a result of behavior/maturity issues by Reyna both with coaches and the team.
From what I’ve seen of Reyna on the field I can believe that.

What are you referring to with SIAP?

Well Canada is gone. It’s quite possible that CONCACAF ends up with no one in the knockout round.

I don't care what Beer?halter's heartburn is with Gio Reyna. It's all about who gives us the best chance to win & advance. Hasn't Beer?halter punished him enough? That is, about 10 minutes pt in the 1st 2 games? If Reyna doesn't get the start vs Iran, Beer?halter's vindictiveness might cost us the knockout round. In which case, it will cost Beer?halter his job. He might be unemployed anyway which will make me cheer just as loud as the Monty situation.

I don't care what Beer?halter's heartburn is with Gio Reyna. It's all about who gives us the best chance to win & advance. Hasn't Beer?halter punished him enough? That is, about 10 minutes pt in the 1st 2 games? If Reyna doesn't get the start vs Iran, Beer?halter's vindictiveness might cost us the knockout round. In which case, it will cost Beer?halter his job. He might be unemployed anyway which will make me cheer just as loud as the Monty situation.
The only thing that gives me pause, is the problems aren't just rumored to be between the coach and Reyna. If Reyna has problems with teammates, and it interferes with cohesive play together as a team, then that's a problem worth addressing.

I've read that Gio's teammates (mostly all, I guess) want him on the field. I don't think he's a problem in the locker room. It just goes back to Beer?halter's stubbornness, IMO. The real story will come out eventually. I just hope we're still playing when it does.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
And if that's the case, Tab Ramos and Jesse Marsch should be next up for the USMNT. Or maybe we see what the interest is from someone like Roberto Martinez (Belgium, whose golden age is about to become the old age group), Jurgen Klopp, or Pep (doubtful since he just inked an extension with City). You think these coaches are pipe dreams? Probably not since they know this group will be in their prime in 4 years and playing in a WC at home. It's a good recipe for world glory.

Reactions: quincy101
Who does Reyna replace? He is not a CF or 9. So is it Weah? Pulisic? McKennie?

Other than shifting Weah to the middle I am unsure. Or sticking with the 4 4 2 with Weah and Reyna up top together.

Who does Reyna replace? He is not a CF or 9. So is it Weah? Pulisic? McKennie?

Other than shifting Weah to the middle I am unsure. Or sticking with the 4 4 2 with Weah and Reyna up top together.
This is what was so frustrating about the 4-4-2, if you look at the heat map Weah pinched to the center. So we took Reyna a true right wing off the field to flood the center. And we werent effective in the center with him finishing because we lacked legit hold up play. We had to two runners trying to play the 9 neither doing either rather well except the short narrow connecting passes I talked about in the message above that would keep England on their heels and the line low. You know who plays in a 4-4-2 and was left off the team for that reason and is our best hold up player? Jordan Pefok. So Southgate switches from a 3 man to a 4 man back line against Iran. Totally unexpected. We counter with a 4-4-2 which makes sense. Except we left the personnel home to exploit that situation. Gregg won the coaching game during the game but we missed an opportunity because of his poor judgement. Assuming Pefok wasn’t a behavior or language barrier problem: Grade F.

I've read that Gio's teammates (mostly all, I guess) want him on the field. I don't think he's a problem in the locker room. It just goes back to Beer?halter's stubbornness, IMO. The real story will come out eventually. I just hope we're still playing when it does.
Players want the best players out there. They want to win. Millions are on the line. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t friction when you have an immature personality in the lockerroom. Grow up and play is what I’ve heard reported. The tiff with the coach is different but linked issue.

Who’s your line up tomorrow?
Our midfield has worked well together so I would hesitate to mess with that group. Really the only candidate for replacement IMO is the Sargent/Wright spot.

Tough thing for me is that I don't know much about Iran or their players. But surely they will pack it in and try to withstand pressure seeing they only need a draw.

At this point it is probably less about tactics and more about getting your most dangerous players on the field to pressure defenders. Might try Weah in the middle and Reyna out right. But what I expect to see is Fereira in the middle and Weah back out right from coach comments.

We may have to experiment to see what works to generate chances meaning earlier substitutions. Aaronson for Musah could be an early substitution if we need to generate more pressure.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane
Players want the best players out there. They want to win. Millions are on the line. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t friction when you have an immature personality in the lockerroom. Grow up and play is what I’ve heard reported. The tiff with the coach is different but linked issue.
I liked the 4-4-2 adjustment Gregggggg made but I'm not sure that's going to be the most effective formation with Iran's park the bus mentality from the opening whistle. If we stick with the 4-4-2, Weah and Aaronson up top, Pulisic-McKennie-Adams-Reyna in the MF, Robinson-Ream-Zimmerman (blech)- Dest in the back. If we go back to the 4-3-3...Insert Ferreira at the 9 to see if he can exploit what little space Iran will leave back there. That would mean Reyna and Aaronson likely come off the bench again.

If we stick with the 4-4-2, Weah and Aaronson up top, Pulisic-McKennie-Adams-Reyna in the MF, Robinson-Ream-Zimmerman (blech)- Dest in the back.

I think this is what I’d like to see. For me, it basically comes down to the question of who I would rather leave on the bench out of Ferreira, Aaronson, or Reyna/Musah (regardless of formation). And for me, that’s a pretty easy choice. Ferreira sits so that we can get our best players on the pitch.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Here’s hoping for a quick USA goal in the first 20 min to break the ice, and then another one before halftime to really take the pressure off.

Bonus prediction: 2-0 USA at HT, 3-1 USA at FT with the 1 Iran goal coming in the last 10 min of the game from a soft PK.

Reactions: quincy101
I think this is what I’d like to see. For me, it basically comes down to the question of who I would rather leave on the bench out of Ferreira, Aaronson, or Reyna/Musah (regardless of formation). And for me, that’s a pretty easy choice. Ferreira sits so that we can get our best players on the pitch.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Here’s hoping for a quick USA goal in the first 20 min to break the ice, and then another one before halftime to really take the pressure off.

Bonus prediction: 2-0 USA at HT, 3-1 USA at FT with the 1 Iran goal coming in the last 10 min of the game from a soft PK.

3o1yto.jpg

I would be hesitant to remove Musah from the starting lineup but could see him coming off at halftime if we don't take a lead into the half. Definitely Reyna or Aaronson though over Sargent/Wright/Ferreira.

I would be hesitant to remove Musah from the starting lineup but could see him coming off at halftime if we don't take a lead into the half. Definitely Reyna or Aaronson though over Sargent/Wright/Ferreira.
If we are ahead +2, everyone with a card will be off by the 70th minute I’m sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT