ADVERTISEMENT

Wichita State part 2 (KU fans need not apply)

ctt8410

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Tremendous opportunity for TU in this one. You don't get non-conference home games against top 10 teams often. It's the type of game that you can build an NCAA resume on. Also, our last win against a ranked team was Dayton.

Lots of familiar faces from last year's 75-55 loss. TU hung around in that game for about 10 minutes thanks to 3-pointers from Wright, Woodard, and Curtis, but a 22-4 run to end the first half sealed it. Harrison and Ray both struggled, scoring 5 points combined in 57 minutes.

Wichita loses Tekele Cotton (6 points, 7 rebounds) and Darius Carter (14 points, 4 rebounds) from that game. They add Anton Grady (grad transfer who was all-conference in the Horizon league last year) and Landry Shamet (4-star freshman who scored 13 in their opener).

Can't give Baker the same open looks we gave UCA. He's 13/23 from 3 against TU in his career. I don't want to offend anklebreaker32323, so I won't comment on VanVleet.

Pomeroy says 69-68 Wichita.
Sagarin says Wichita by 5.

Really like our chances. The Shockers struggled in their opener without Van Vleet. If he can't go or is limited they are forced to go with a freshman point. Our guards should give either him or a less than 100% Van Vleet fits. Need a better effort out of our bigs than we saw against Central Ark. It's been awhile since we beat an area "name" school. That streak ends Tuesday.

By that metric, we also struggled. Similar opponent. Similar result. The biggest difference was they felt the wrath of the new rules (66 fouls) and we didn't (37 fouls). I don't love our chances if this turns into a free-throw shooting contest.

Agreed on the bigs. I'm thrilled that Wright was 5/5 against UCA, but he'll need to play like an actual big man on Tuesday. 1 rebound won't cut it.

Really like our chances. The Shockers struggled in their opener without Van Vleet. If he can't go or is limited they are forced to go with a freshman point. Our guards should give either him or a less than 100% Van Vleet fits. Need a better effort out of our bigs than we saw against Central Ark. It's been awhile since we beat an area "name" school. That streak ends Tuesday.

Just to clarify something here. I'm not sure you can say that WSU "struggled". It was a 25 point win over a decent (not great) D-I team. WSU did not have its All-American PG on the floor. About half the minutes were used by true Freshmen and Walk-Ons. Exactly half of the points were scored by true Freshmen and Walk-Ons. The starters did not play the type of minutes they will play against Tulsa. Just FYI on information.

The Wichita paper used the word "struggled" to describe the game so I repeated it. No big deal.

Everyone needs to show up. Juice on Baker, Shaq on the PG whoever it might be? Wright and Smith need to play bigger and rebound like crazy and we really need to push the tempo. We seem to have enough guards to really push it and if Van Vleet is out/hobbled and you know that pushes WSU's depth (and quality of depth).

Wichita State up to 9th in today's AP poll. 11th in the Coaches poll.

If VanVleet doesn't play, Baker slides over to PG. The freshman Landry Shamet will start at SG. Although Baker's back-up will be a freshman, either Shamet or Tyrone Taylor. Junior walk-on John Robert Simon could get PG minutes, as well. He was decent against CSU but struggles against pressure.

That said, I would be surprised if VanVleet doesn't play.

EDIT: Update from our beat writer: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article45091797.html

Must be nice to have a beat writer that treats you as a higher priority than what our paper does!

You guys have been so impressive for a long time. You've done a lot to break a lot of the stupid narrative about power conferences. You should be proud. Enjoy this!

I'd take you in our league in a heart beat if it were up to me.

Must be nice to have a beat writer that treats you as a higher priority than what our paper does!

You guys have been so impressive for a long time. You've done a lot to break a lot of the stupid narrative about power conferences. You should be proud. Enjoy this!

Amen to that!!

Our beat writer provides all kinds of useful tidbits on twitter. Like her hot takes on WNBA feature stories in this month's Cosmo.

Reactions: goldfan83

Our beat writer has spoiled us. We're lucky to have him.

The last few years have been crazy and I admit, I never thought it would be possible. At least until Butler went to back-to-back title games. Now we're just trying to enjoy the ride!

Enjoy it while you can because it can disappear seemingly overnight and take decades to recover.

Espn3 and Cox (Wichita broadcast, but they are solid)

I'm out of the country and will be in Houston around tipoff.

I'm hopeful I can get on wifi and watch from my phone or at least listen...

We are out of the country too and watch espn doesn't operate. :(

#tinyviolin
#hadtofollowtheaacsoccerfinalontwitterwithmypaloma

The "TuneIn" App, that someone suggested for one of the preseason games with no TV coverage ended up working for me. Then of course there's fight club (firstrow)

Well worst case I'll be on here.

Junkie we have like a 4 hour layover in Houston. Send Rob and bring a big screen! Haha

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT