ADVERTISEMENT

Why good people refuse to be vaccinated?

watu05

I.T.S. Senior
Mar 19, 2021
Part of the reason is the barrage of misrepresentations such as this one about Fauci. Leaves one wondering what the motivation is. RT (Russian television) has been behind some of it, and Sarah Palin has gone full anti-vax (because that's all she's got at the moment?).

I have a college buddy who claims that 5G is the cause of Covid and who refuses to get vaxxed, but he also considers himself a shaman who doesn't trust traditional science. That's different from knowingly putting out lies that are dangerous and further divide the country.

Do you believe she hasn't had the vaccine given all her public speaking at unvaccinated events?
50/50.

She could be one of those anti vaxxers who will never vax, or she could be speaking out her ass O.

There is a mix of selfishness, ignorance and willful antagonism that has led to this extended pandemic.

New variants are circulating due to our inability to get 90%+ vaccinated early this year. In the US these are the reasons.

Globally we have not pushed hard enough.

The pandemic would be here regardless and each new variant that has led to a wave in the US has originated in another country. Non-pharmaceutical interventions have proven to be borderline worthless in all but a couple countries. The things americans have or haven't done (besides creating great vaccines) have had minimal if any impact

Last edited:
in light of the current surge of cases, does the vaccine work?
Are you joking or is this a real question? Any educated medical professional would tell you a million times yes. So dumb. How have we gotten here? Did you graduate from SWOSU?

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
New variants have originated overseas not in the U.S. Omicron is spreading regardless of one’s vaccination status. Blaming our vaccination policies is based on ignorance. As in Europe, Omicron will spread quickly throughout the US. There is no significant difference in the spread based on a state’s vaccinated % or mandatory mask requirements. At least that has been shown thus far.

Get vaccinated and get healthy and go ahead and live your life.

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
Everyone in the US without a health condition that prevents it has a patriotic duty to get vaccinated. We also have a patriotic duty to support (massively) vaccinations globally to dampen the generation of new variants.

Reactions: watu05
Everyone in the US without a health condition that prevents it has a patriotic duty to get vaccinated. We also have a patriotic duty to support (massively) vaccinations globally to dampen the generation of new variants.

I agree with this. Just don’t think there’s any reason to believe the pandemic would be “over” here even if we had 100% uptake

Some worldwide perspective. The UK reported 105k new cases yesterday. Far and away the most new cases they have ever reported and the equivalent to over 500k new cases a day in the US. Absolutely crazy numbers. Over 82% there are deemed fully vaccinated.

The pandemic would be here regardless and each new variant that has led to a wave in the US has originated in another country. Non-pharmaceutical interventions have proven to be borderline worthless in all but a couple countries. The things americans have or haven't done (besides creating great vaccines) have had minimal if any impact
Except for those semi needless deaths of the unvaxxed. They certainly have an impact.

Some worldwide perspective. The UK reported 105k new cases yesterday. Far and away the most new cases they have ever reported and the equivalent to over 500k new cases a day in the US. Absolutely crazy numbers. Over 82% there are deemed fully vaccinated.
At that rate, it will take 64 days for everyone in the country to have it. Lol. Less if it increases exponentially.

I agree with this. Just don’t think there’s any reason to believe the pandemic would be “over” here even if we had 100% uptake
We wouldn’t need to care about the unvaxxed who are still ultra-vulnerable by comparison. Our compassion is partially what’s acting to our detriment. I suppose we could just say that they should all suffer the consequences of their actions and condemn a few to death for their ignorance.

Oh, and another couple effects are the detriment to our medical staff in terms of stress, our insurance billing, and the people who are being turned away from having important surgeries (like hernia surgeries for example, which is still happening in various hospitals across the country)

It is really sad. An old friend of mine was unvaccinated and got so sick he was transported out of state for specialized treatment. It seems he was near death at one point but is doing a bit better. Main breadwinner with a family to support but somehow got caught up in the antivax fraud. Good guy who made a bad choice. In his 50s.

Except for those semi needless deaths of the unvaxxed. They certainly have an impact.

Yes if that were what I responding to, but I wasn’t. The needless deaths are indeed a tragedy. Unfortunately people will often make dumb decisions about their own health and will often get conned by bad people into acting against their own interests

At that rate, it will take 64 days for everyone in the country to have it. Lol. Less if it increases exponentially.
I expect the US to break records for infections as well in the coming weeks. Thankfully this variant looks much less lethal for the unvaccinated, obese, elderly, etc.

Looking at the numbers now, the US will top 200k reported new cases today. That number is going to continue to rise if people get tested. With mild symptoms, I expect most cases to go uncounted.

Ironically many of these people have loved ones posting about them on Facebook. One popular cliche is “he’s a fighter”. I saw a clever response… “oh he’s a fighter? So you sent him off to battle with the best sword and shield that money can buy right? Oh, you sent him naked and weaponless to slay the dragon? Good idea.”

I heard minutes ago that my friend has died. I don't know how his family will cope. He was self employed and I pray he had sufficient life insurance.

• Sad
Reactions: watu05
Hopefully the federal outreach vaccination programs can quickly make inroads into the black and Hispanic communities who still lag far behind their counterparts. The gap is over ten percentage points in half of the states. Many in the south and southwest with large minority populations. Not good news considering black adults have the highest percentage of obesity of any group. We have done a poor job stressing the importance of vaccinations along with good health to minorities over the past two years imo. Which explains the higher death rates for certain segments of the population. As Aston posted….lots of people are naked (non vaccinated and/or obese) trying to slay the dragon.

Ironically many of these people have loved ones posting about them on Facebook. One popular cliche is “he’s a fighter”. I saw a clever response… “oh he’s a fighter? So you sent him off to battle with the best sword and shield that money can buy right? Oh, you sent him naked and weaponless to slay the dragon? Good idea.”

You think that’s a clever thing to say to someone who is dealing with the possible death of a family member?

Hopefully the federal outreach vaccination programs can quickly make inroads into the black and Hispanic communities who still lag far behind their counterparts. The gap is over ten percentage points in half of the states. Many in the south and southwest with large minority populations. Not good news considering black adults have the highest percentage of obesity of any group. We have done a poor job stressing the importance of vaccinations along with good health to minorities over the past two years imo. Which explains the higher death rates for certain segments of the population. As Aston posted….lots of people are naked (non vaccinated and/or obese) trying to slay the dragon.

I doubt it a race thing as much as it’s a class thing. That’s why it doesn’t fall neatly on political lines. I’d be willing to bet minorities with a graduate degree are just as vaccinated as their white counterparts, while working class people of all races lag behind

I doubt it a race thing as much as it’s a class thing. That’s why it doesn’t fall neatly on political lines. I’d be willing to bet minorities with a graduate degree are just as vaccinated as their white counterparts, while working class people of all races lag behind
I would agree. However, my thought was that poor minorities likely would be more supportive along political lines with the Biden Admin that their white counterparts. Therefore, more receptive to their message. They are also more susceptible to serious illness

US now reporting 225k new cases today. New York reporting over 27k. New York’s high prior to this week was 20k during the first week of January.

The UK and France are reporting over 200k new cases between them today. Well over the record highs for both countries. I expect new case numbers to smash records here by next week. Who would have dreamed we would be setting record case numbers in December 2021 a year ago? Certainly not what our political leaders or scientist predicted.

The UK and France are reporting over 200k new cases between them today. Well over the record highs for both countries. I expect new case numbers to smash records here by next week. Who would have dreamed we would be setting record case numbers in December 2021 a year ago? Certainly not what our political leaders or scientist predicted.
i always said I was worried about the vaccination rate not being fast enough to outpace the mutation rate.

Reactions: watu05 and drboobay
i always said I was worried about the vaccination rate not being fast enough to outpace the mutation rate.
Not really about vaccination rate at this point. It’s about the ability to get boosters which actually inoculate you against omicron to 250M plus people. This was never going to occur. New strain is spreading too quickly. We’re going to have more cases with a vaccine than we saw without one. Remarkable.

I remember saying some time ago that there was zero chance we could prevent new variants through vaccination because we can’t control what happens in the rest of the world. Can’t say I expected half a million cases per day in the US though and that’s where we’re headed

Disagree. There have been numerous posts and links on this board to the efforts by political officials (excepting Florida, Texas, ND, etc.) and public health scientists about the risks of a variant like Omicron arising because of the huge numbers of unvaccinated around the world and the US too.

Consider: only a third of US pregnant women are vaccinated, Trump is booed by conservatives for even admitting he was vaxxed, a third of Americans refuse to get vaccinated and denigrate basic public health measures. That anti-vaxxing and anti-science have been made in to a cultural dividing line coupled with decades of conservative efforts to undermine faith in government going back to Ronald Reagan warning that the worst words to hear were "I'm from the government and I'm here to help" has come at a price which we are paying now.

We are experiencing exactly what public health experts predicted if tthis situation continued, but were working to correct. Electing officials and a congress that doesn't believe that good government exists is a self-fulfilling act.

Reactions: TU 1978
Lol we’re experiencing the inevitable because it was physically impossible to vaccinate 6 billion people at once. The obsession with finding someone to blame for an inevitable outcome is just weird

Also, conservatives do not undermine faith in government. Government undermines faith in government by sucking dick at literally everything.

Disagree. There have been numerous posts and links on this board to the efforts by political officials (excepting Florida, Texas, ND, etc.) and public health scientists about the risks of a variant like Omicron arising because of the huge numbers of unvaccinated around the world and the US too.

Consider: only a third of US pregnant women are vaccinated, Trump is booed by conservatives for even admitting he was vaxxed, a third of Americans refuse to get vaccinated and denigrate basic public health measures. That anti-vaxxing and anti-science have been made in to a cultural dividing line coupled with decades of conservative efforts to undermine faith in government going back to Ronald Reagan warning that the worst words to hear were "I'm from the government and I'm here to help" has come at a price which we are paying now.

We are experiencing exactly what public health experts predicted if tthis situation continued, but were working to correct. Electing officials and a congress that doesn't believe that good government exists is a self-fulfilling act.
Stop the political crap. New York has three times the number of new cases as Texas yet Texas is the problem? New York had over 38k new cases today btw but let’s call out Texas, Fla,. Political blindness like this who seek to blame the other side regardless of facts and numbers are the problem. Period.

As far as blaming conservatives for the unvaccinated, never realized there were so many Republican blacks and Hispanics. Just more dribble trying to deflect responsibility. If you were railing on the Trump admin for having 250k new cases a day without a vaccine you sure as hell better be criticizing Biden for 400k new cases a day WITH a vaccine and a year’s worth of experience.

This was inevitable just like the first wave. Europe couldn’t contain the first and are failing miserably with Omicron. We will as well. The vaccine is a failure as far as preventing the spread of omicron. We haven’t distributed boosters (assuming they prevent spread) at near a fast enough pace. If anyone to blame it’s the leaders of the US and Europe.

Last edited:
I trust my medical professionals - both my local internal medicine doctor and the ones at MD Anderson in Houston - and they unanimously recommended my getting vaccinated. The data for the Moderna that I received (2 shots and the booster) indicates that it seems to be effective against the Delta and Omicron variants.

My primary care doctor supported Trump, but he grew frustrated by his patients requesting the cures promoted by Dr. Trump, especially the hydrochloroquine and ivermectin ‘treatments’. He attempted to persuade them to get vaccinated instead, but many refused. I really am concerned for friends of ours who have refused to consider getting vaccinated. They’ve had ample opportunity even at our church to get vaccinated, but don’t believe it would be that bad if they got the virus. We’ve lost other friends already to the virus, a couple of whom died before the vaccines became widely available.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT