ADVERTISEMENT

Where is everyone?

I agree the crowd sucks but honestly, they are having so many media time outs that with two teams that like to pass this could be a 5-hour game. I can't imagine sitting in the stands through this many commercials.

The pauses and breaks every 2-3 minutes is just excruciating. There can't be more than 300 students here...what the hell. This is a team that is on the verge of being ranked and has an opportunity to win a conference championship. B

Where is everyone? I'm here at the stadium, where are you?

Apparently aTUfan didn't read Glasscane's post from earlier today.

I agree the crowd sucks but honestly, they are having so many media time outs that with two teams that like to pass this could be a 5-hour game. I can't imagine sitting in the stands through this many commercials.

How does the NFL keep their games to just over 3 hours? They show at least as many commercials.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
I concluded that many TU fans simply don't like night games. In the Club, I saw a lot of folks that gave away their tickets, didn't show up, or left after they finished dessert at the half.
TU simply must lower the prices in the two East 50 yard line sections. The $10 break for the next sections were MUCH more full.
When will TU do what they should do and not sell 40 yard seats until 50 yard seats are sold.
And, what was going on with the sound tonight? We could not hear anything from the PA or the referees. It all sounded muffled.
So many issues with game maintenance.

Reactions: eastcane
My wife had to go into work yesterday, so I had an extra ticket. I called no less than a dozen people starting Friday evening. Of the response was that their significant other was home (and they didn't want to ditch) I offered to buy them a ticket too. If they had kids, I offered to buy the kids tickets too... Free tickets to college football on a great fall day, great seats too.

I finally found someone, but had to ask more than a dozen different people. There's something wrong with the demand for Tulsa football.

I can't say if this is beyond just Tulsa. But there's a big problem. Possible causes:

1) perception of the product,

2) lack of marketing to the right audiences,

3) networks being UNABLE to do smart timeouts (for good examples see the World Series, for great examples see Premier League soccer on NBC),

4) Game day experience not up to expectations,

5) People are lazy cows who don't do a damn thing anymore.

Night games are bad, but there are always schedule conflicts with anything.

Having every game on tv doesn't help.

We market?

This just an apathetic town in general.

We market! Just this morning at 5:30 AM I received an email from Tulsa Football imploring me to 'Wear Blue and Be Loud Tonight' at the football game.

How timely, and inept.

My wife had to go into work yesterday, so I had an extra ticket. I called no less than a dozen people starting Friday evening. Of the response was that their significant other was home (and they didn't want to ditch) I offered to buy them a ticket too. If they had kids, I offered to buy the kids tickets too... Free tickets to college football on a great fall day, great seats too.

I finally found someone, but had to ask more than a dozen different people. There's something wrong with the demand for Tulsa football.

I can't say if this is beyond just Tulsa. But there's a big problem. Possible causes:

1) perception of the product,

2) lack of marketing to the right audiences,

3) networks being UNABLE to do smart timeouts (for good examples see the World Series, for great examples see Premier League soccer on NBC),

4) Game day experience not up to expectations,

5) People are lazy cows who don't do a damn thing anymore.

I think you hit the nail in the head with your first point... there are very few excuses for the poor attendance last night.

If we went undefeated in a season, we would probably have 23,000 people at the last home game. A lot of people just don't care about going to Tulsa football games.

I didn't say they necessarily don't care about Tulsa football, they don't care about going to Tulsa games.

Not sure what will change people's thoughts about going to Tulsa football games.

3 of the highest attended games in recent memory (not counting OU and OSU) that I can remember, UCF 2008, Boise 2009 and Houston 2011.

Anyone want to guess what they all had in common?

Arizona+v+Arizona+State+of_No3Bwps_l.jpg

Reactions: HuffyCane
Absolutely true. I always set my DVR for an extra 30 minutes for recording purposes and I have still missed the last half of the 4th quarter in the last 2 home games (I like rewatching the game afterwards to see a different perspective than my end zone one at the game). I never get the end of the games even at 3.5 hours. There are way too many timeouts, way too many reviews for stupid things i.e. Atkinson letting the ball go at the end zone after his long TD...really? Why does that need a review? He was 10 yards from anyone crossing the goal line and even if he dropped the ball 1/2 step before it had no bearing on the play because no one from ECU picked the ball up...so at worst it would have been TU's ball at the 1/2 yard line. That wasted 2 minutes. Half-time is too long. NFL half-time is 12 minutes. College games vary. Why not just have a straight up 15 minute half-time instead of the 20? You get a guy that gets the wind knocked out of him and he's down and you instantly have a 3 minute commercial break on ESPN when the guy needs an extra 30 seconds to get off the field. It hurts ESPN too because now you have games going 4 hours, they only allotted 3 hours and have another game scheduled and the fans of the next game get pissed because they just missed the entire 1st quarter watching ECU take timeouts with a minute left down 28. I appreciate games on TV but ESPN/Fox/CBS are just killing the average fan with all the commercials, especially those at the game. People wonder why NFL ratings are down this year...unwatchable games, referees who think they are part of the game, and too many damn commercials. So, there's a score...take a TV timeout. Kickoff...another TV timeout. Gah. They need to figure something out like soccer. Run the ads in the background or have them sponsor your score bug in the corner. Keep changing them around.

Make the review system more like the NFL and we can cut an hour off of game time easily.

I have to drag my wife to football games and yet she loves going to the basketball games. One of the reasons is that we can count on a basketball game being 2 hours almost on the dot. College football games last half a day.

3 of the highest attended games in recent memory (not counting OU and OSU) that I can remember, UCF 2008, Boise 2009 and Houston 2011.

Anyone want to guess what they all had in common?
None of them were played on Saturday, and they were all on ESPN.

The city of Tulsa hyped these games, newspapers hyped these games even channels 2, 6 and 8 were excited. People at my work that have never even brought up TU football were asking me about tickets.

Arizona+v+Arizona+State+of_No3Bwps_l.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Wonder if his next job(which could come sooner rather than later) will be the "secret" dream job that he has always wanted and never told anyone about. Hope its Bowling Green!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT