ADVERTISEMENT

We're #6

Undervalued and disrespected. This team is 3 defensive stops and maybe 3 scoring drives away from having 6 or 7 wins last year. The defense was much better later on in the year when adjustments were made and we played more 6-5 defense (or 3-8 depending on how you want to look at it). Was it great...no, but I think the staff addressed immediate needs and went out and got some guys who could help immediately. The offense was good for the most part. The part where it failed was its ability to sustain drives at key moments or settling for a FG when a TD could have been a death blow for the other team. There were 4-5 games within a score late. One of those games was against USF (consensus top 25 team hovering near the top 10-15 most of the season).

Yes, the QB play needs to be more consistent and our WRs need to help out in that regards. I still think we rush for close to 3,000 with our RBs and we should be better equipped to pound out 2nd and 3rd and short this year to help sustain drives. I think the defense will be a lot better.

I'll be honest...I wouldn't even pencil in Skipper's name at the QB position just yet. There are a lot of subtle hints in how Monty is talking about things as well as his body language when he talks about Boomer that point to Boomer taking meaningful snaps in games really early on.

I see very little positive if Skipper hasn't nailed down the starting job by mid August. Could it mean Boomer has made great strides and is D1 ready...sure. Probably more likely to mean that Skipper is "just another guy" and justifies our predicted last place finish.

If we can get above average QB play this season we will not finish 6th.

I see very little positive if Skipper hasn't nailed down the starting job by mid August. Could it mean Boomer has made great strides and is D1 ready...sure. Probably more likely to mean that Skipper is "just another guy" and justifies our predicted last place finish.

If we can get above average QB play this season we will not finish 6th.
Where are we hearing that Skipper doesn't have the job?

He doesn’t have the job. Going into the fall, it’s a three way race between Boomer, President, & Skipper. Montgomery might know who he wants, but everything that’s been announced is that it’s still a race.

Preseason #6 based on last years performance and record seems about right. If the coaching staff and players don't like, then they need to do something on the field. Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades!

He doesn’t have the job. Going into the fall, it’s a three way race between Boomer, President, & Skipper. Montgomery might know who he wants, but everything that’s been announced is that it’s still a race.
It won’t be President the first game. That knee injury won’t heal that quickly.

As concerned as I am about QB play, I am more concerned about WR play.

The WR corp last year made things very tough on the QBs, who weren’t too accurate either. I’m hopeful the young guys improved greatly this offseason.

The one that surprised me last year was Keenan Johnson. When he was inserted as a freshman he looked great but much of last year he looked either frustrated or bored. It may be that with Lucas and Garrett gone he was getting more attention from the D and that made him look worse than he was but often it looked like he just wasn’t putting forth the effort to get to the ball.

The one that surprised me last year was Keenan Johnson. When he was inserted as a freshman he looked great but much of last year he looked either frustrated or bored. It may be that with Lucas and Garrett gone he was getting more attention from the D and that made him look worse than he was but often it looked like he just wasn’t putting forth the effort to get to the ball.

This is me totally being an armchair QB, but I got the sense he got frustrated he wasn’t getting as many opportunities as he thought he should with Lucas and Garrett gone.

But he definitely wasn’t helping on plays he knew he wasn’t getting the ball he’d just barely jog his route. That was incredibly frustrating to watch.

I'm in the Monty must go if President is the starter. However, I will be shocked (and disgusted) if that happens.

Would you guys be more or less upset if he trots out three QBs this season and none of them perform at an sericeabke level?

The real QB is red shirting. None of these QBs will be playing the following year. This is a survival year. I would play Boomer because the other 2 proved they were no D1 QBs

Reactions: Midwest11
I’d be shocked if President is full speed before mid-September. There’s no way you run a QB out there that isn’t full speed.

And to the question about Boomer, maybe Monty’s talk is to motivate Skipper to be a leader and be better.

When there’s a QB on the roster (who coach talked into transferring in) who you (and the rest of the team) know will be the starter next year it can be difficult to be the type of leader a team needs at the the QB position. Skipper is in a tough position imo. He’s a place holder and everyone in that locker room knows it.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
I’d be shocked if President is full speed before mid-September. There’s no way you run a QB out there that isn’t full speed.

And to the question about Boomer, maybe Monty’s talk is to motivate Skipper to be a leader and be better.
That's exactly what I suspect. You don't want Skipper to sit back and think he's the heir apparent. He really needs to work and improve. He can't do that if he's not pushed.

As concerned as I am about QB play, I am more concerned about WR play.

The WR corp last year made things very tough on the QBs, who weren’t too accurate either. I’m hopeful the young guys improved greatly this offseason.
Your concerns with that position are very valid, they didn't seem to run consistent routes or gave up on routes and didn't recognize or help get the QB out of trouble, and couldn't keep hold of the ball a majority of the time when it was delivered. I think we will see big improvement at this position.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
President won’t make the field until he’s healthy. Hope he’s learning receiver routes for his new position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT